What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop Re-Signs

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that five-eighth and skipper Gareth Widdop has re-signed for the next four seasons.

Widdop will now remain at the Red V until the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The England international has been an integral member of the Dragons since his arrival in 2014, where he became sole captain of the club this season.

Widdop has played 79 games for the Dragons to date, and on Anzac Day against the Sydney Roosters will play his 150th NRL game.

Widdop also recently became the second-highest pointscorer in St George Illawarra history and is now on track to surpass Jamie Soward's record of 977 points.

The 28-year-old was pleased to remain at the Dragons for the next four years.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that," Widdop said.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here.

"So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward explained the reasoning behind Widdop's deal.

"We have shown a lot of confidence in Gareth as our long-term leader by offering him a four-year contract," Millward said.

"We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth.

"Gareth's our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we're over the moon that he has re-signed."

URL LINK:http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/22/widdop_re_signs_with.html

SaintElroy

Juniors
I'm outraged!!!! How can this happen?!?!? #sack millward!!!! Oh wait I thought that said Widdop signs with Melbourne or tigers.

possm

Coach
I'm outraged!!!! How can this happen?!?!? #sack millward!!!! Oh wait I thought that said Widdop signs with Melbourne or tigers.
Or maybe Millward has used the white board eraser and a TPA to correct the situation. let's see how we progress through the other off contract players like Dugan, Packer, Lafai, Mann and a few fringe first graders.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Great News ......... now Dugan!

Gareth Widdop Dragons contract: St George Illawarra re-signs star five-eighth, captain on long-term deal

• April 22, 2017 9:39am
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
DRAGONS captain Gareth Widdop has re-signed with the club for the next four seasons, St George Illawarra confirmed on Saturday.

The five-eighth, 28, is one of the NRL’s in-form players in 2017 and will remain with the Red V until the end of 2021.

His re-signing for the high-flying Dragons was widely expected and will see him form a big-name halves pairing with $6 million recruit Ben Hunt next season.

The England international joined the Saints from Melbourne in 2014. His retention finishes pre-season rumours that he may have been lured back to the English Super League.

With his long-term deal in place, the goal-kicking playmaker may overhaul Jamie Soward’s club record of 977 points.

9df40345ecb38713abb4671d6b5aeb2c

Gareth Widdop has re-signed with the Dragons.Source: News Corp Australia
“The Dragons have grown more and more since I’ve arrived. There’s a good environment here and it’s a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that,” Widdop said in a club statement.

“At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I’m very settled here in Wollongong and I’m enjoying my time here. So while it was a big decision, I’m happy to be staying.”

Dragons director of rugby league pathways Ian Millward said: “We have shown a lot of confidence in Gareth as our long-term leader by offering him a four-year contract.

“We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth. Gareth’s our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we’re over the moon that he has re-signed.”

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop re-signs with Dragons
Sat 22nd April, 09:30AM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that five-eighth and skipper Gareth Widdop has re-signed for the next four seasons.

Widdop will now remain at the Red V until the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The England international has been an integral member of the Dragons since his arrival in 2014, where he became sole captain of the club this season.

Widdop has played 79 games for the Dragons to date, and on Anzac Day against the Sydney Roosters will play his 150th NRL game.

Widdop also recently became the second-highest pointscorer in St George Illawarra history and is now on track to surpass Jamie Soward's record of 977 points.

The 28-year-old was pleased to remain at the Dragons for the next four years.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that," Widdop said.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here.

"So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward explained the reasoning behind Widdop's deal.

"We have shown a lot of confidence in Gareth as our long-term leader by offering him a four-year contract," Millward said.

"We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth.

"Gareth's our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we're over the moon that he has re-signed."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/22/widdop_re_signs_with.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop re-commits to Dragons on four-year deal

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

22 Apr 2017, 10:13 a.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAYING PUT: Gareth Widdop will remain with the Dragons for the next four years. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra have removed one puzzle piece from a crowded recruitment market by locking down skipper Gareth Widdop for four more seasons.

Under pressure coming into an off-contract season after a lacklustre 2016 campaign, Widdop has been the standout half in the NRL over the opening seven rounds, leading the competition with 73 points.

The Dragons had to fend off interest from Wests Tigers and Widdop’s former club Melbourne to secure their skipper’s services, but ultimately landed his signature by upping their initial offer and adding a fourth season to the deal.

Widdop said he was pleased to be remaining in Wollongong where he’s settled with his young family.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family,” Widdop said.

“I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here so while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that.”

The deal will see Widdop partner Ben Hunt in the halves when the Broncos half arrives ahead of the 2018 season that will be the first of a six-year deal.

Widdop’s retention is a timely one for the club as speculation over his future, and that of fullback Josh Dugan, threatened to derail their impressive 6-1 start to the season.

The club will now turn their attention to re-signing Dugan though those negotiations have been complicated by dispute over his positional future.

Club recruitment chief Ian Millward has stated the club sees Dugan’s future in the centres, and is willing to pay him handsomely as a three-quarter, but the incumbent Test centre believes his club future should lie at fullback.

Coach Paul McGregor backed that desire ahead of Tuesday’s Anzac Day clash with the Roosters, saying Dugan will play in the No. 1 while ever he’s the best fullback at the club.

It’s the next headache for Millward but he said locking down Widdop is a huge boost for the club.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4613695/widdop-to-remain-a-dragon-until-2021/?cs=3713

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
We will have the best halves combination next year and for a couple of years after that. Just got to get Duges and Packer signed and it is scary what we can achieve next yesr

No reason, barring injuries, we can't achieve this season as well!

St Georgio

Juniors
We will have the best halves combination next year and for a couple of years after that. Just got to get Duges and Packer signed and it is scary what we can achieve next yesr
I expect at least a 60% win/loss with the squad assembled and a shot of a title, happy days.

gaz_head

Juniors
I don't think I have ever been this happy for a re-signing ever. This is first time in a very very long time we have a genuine 6 and 7 going forward. I think with this signing, packer and duges will stay. They aren't stupid and will want to win a comp with this club and playing group. We have gone from hopeless to winners in an off season by finding the winning formula and this has aided in re-signing Gareth. Just imagine this group of players plus Ben Hunt.
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the beginning of our dynasty.

Latest posts