What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the dogs let Barba slip through their hands like they did Thurston?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Public opinion on Barba is mixed. I think he is a raw talent with guidance will become an absolutely outstanding player. Others say - needs more time before they're convinced of his talent.

Last night I saw him kick a 40-20 and obviously most fans of the game can conceded his jinking,jiving running game is similar to Langer except Barba has an afterburner.

Yes his defence is limited as he is not a strong tackler - that said his overall defensive game is made better as he continuously gets into the opposition line and is there to intercept and pick up loose ball. He would not be the first half who has trouble tackling - but I think his overall defensive game is far better than Sowards.

One try every 45 minutes the kid scores - let alone his try assists. This kid is a real talent of Thurston proportions. You have signed halves for next year. I see 3 things happening

1 - becomes a superstar for the doggies - great surname to be knwon as Terry Lamb the second
2 - goes elsewhere and becomes a superstar ala Thurston
3 - becomes jaded with bench and NSW cup games and becomes the next Ewan McGrady - so much talent left unfulfilled.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You wish.

You do realise he has re-signed with Canterbury?

Timmah

Staff member
I was talking to the bloke who said he'll end up at Brisbane.

beads6

First Grade
How do the dogs intend on using Barba?? With Hodgkinson and Keating signed plus ROberts in your squad. Barba to fullback perhaps??

Until people start bombing him. This "try every 45 minutes" statistic is laughable. At least wait until he plays a full season until you start claiming that.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Until people start bombing him.
Ahhh - yes short people cannot be good club fullbacks. Bowen and Wesser were not told of this. Just do not tell Barba. I do not like the thought of him as fullback anyway. Needs to be in the halves for maximum use and finding intercepts, grabbing grounded ball etc.

This "try every 45 minutes" statistic is laughable. At least wait until he plays a full season until you start claiming that.

Why? He has scored 10 tries in stuff all minutes this and set others up. The guy makes things happen. To ignore this is foolish.

Look the kid might be the next Ewan McGrady. Noone's calling to have him moulded in bronze just yet. As beads explained - the dogs have Roberts and signed Keating next year. Presumably Hodkinson is the starting halfback.

Leaves Barba squeezed. Much like Thurston was behind Anasta and Sherwin.

hellteam

First Grade
I remember there was a rumour last year that we were considering signing him, maybe it was the year before

Timmah

Staff member
With Patten likely to head to the Old Dart it's pretty obvious to me the intention is to shift him to fullback.

Barba would play well in any "spine" role IMO - 1-6-7-9

Doga

Juniors
Ben's younger brother Marmin is also in the Bulldogs lower grade. Ben wants to play alongside his brother at the Dogs.

Ben's preferred position is fullback.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Look the kid might be the next Ewan McGrady. Noone's calling to have him moulded in bronze just yet. As beads explained - the dogs have Roberts and signed Keating next year. Presumably Hodkinson is the starting halfback.

Leaves Barba squeezed. Much like Thurston was behind Anasta and Sherwin.
1. Barba

6. Roberts
7. Hodkinson

9. Ennis

14. Keating

watatank

Coach
With absolutely no disrespect to fullbacks - what a waste of Barba's talents that would be.

Not necessarily, fullback is the position with the most freedom and Barba thrives on that. Whether he would be good defensively and under the high ball is a concern though but in theory it could work.