What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the international competitions currently on record profits?

Will the international competitions currently on record profits?

• Yes, they will definitely make a profit

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Yes, but only the Four Nations

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, I think it's more about the exposure

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, we'll definitely be eating into RLIF coffers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NRLMad

Juniors
With the profit made on the last world cup, do we think that the 4 Nations and the Pacific Cup will be making money for the RLIF coffers? Hope so! I'd hoped for larger crowds at some of the games? I.e. would have hoped the AUS vs NZ would have sold out.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
The Pacific cup was heavily subsidised by the PNG and Fiji governments, as well as sponsered, and i'd be surprized if it didn't break even.
The good news is that the players obviously got paid enough to make it worthwhile for NRL players to show up, so the local PNG and Islander guys got what they would think of as brilliant money.

saddog

Juniors
The Pacific Cup will not make a profit, but the RLIF ensured it will not cost them a bean as it was underwritten by the PNG Govt, therefore all incomes go back to them. But to have a great tournament without spending RLIF funds is outstanding. 4 nations will return a profit which all 4 nations and RLIF get a share of.

deluded pom?

Coach
The Pacific Cup will not make a profit, but the RLIF ensured it will not cost them a bean as it was underwritten by the PNG Govt, therefore all incomes go back to them. But to have a great tournament without spending RLIF funds is outstanding. 4 nations will return a profit which all 4 nations and RLIF get a share of.

An equal share?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Hmmm the French would like that. But I hope not all the 4Nations profits are shared with the competiting Nations. Id be happy to see a fair amount spent on lower teir nations.

Goddo

Bench
^ Australia's cut at least anyway. POMs Kiwis and France could put the money to good use growing the game.

its for this reason i would love to see the POMs win the comp. They haven't won anything in years, and on home turf to beat NZ then Australia would be a real shot in the arm for the game there.

If we did lose it, would anyone really care here? There would be shock and determination to smash them next time (which we would do) but it wouldn't hurt Australia to lose it.

Brutus

Referee
^ Australia's cut at least anyway. POMs Kiwis and France could put the money to good use growing the game.

its for this reason i would love to see the POMs win the comp. They haven't won anything in years, and on home turf to beat NZ then Australia would be a real shot in the arm for the game there.

If we did lose it, would anyone really care here? There would be shock and determination to smash them next time (which we would do) but it wouldn't hurt Australia to lose it.

I don't think there would be that much shock if the Kiwis rolled Australia in the final.

We are getting used to that these days.

The Kiwis are building a nice little reputation as tournament kings.

druzik

Juniors
The 4 Nations will make a Profit... albeit a small one.

The European Cup will probably break even.

Pacific Cup will not make a profit but the loss wont be so big.

The main purpoose of this excersise is to start exposing more teams to better competition and get their public profile up... they have done this to a point but I think it could have been done soooo much better.

--------------

The RLIF spent a bit over a $1 million on the PNC.

I am assuming that the rest of the money will be set aside into funding nations and tours and some set aside as a war chest for setting up the 2013 WC.

--------------

But again for me this is still a bit of an issue, we should not be so reliant on one or two tournaments to fund everyone... we should be endevouring to make every tournament break even or turn a small profit.

Goddo

Bench
TBH, so long as 4 Nations, P. Cup and E. Cup don't make a loss, its a win for the game.

If they are a loss, it starts eating into the revenue from world cups, which is the games war chest, which is bad.
If they aren't a loss, then at worst it is good exposure and building national brands/interest in years between World Cups.
If they are a profit, thats great, as it allows the extra funds to be put into developing national squads, meaning better quality competition, meaning more money next time.

saddog

Juniors
"The RLIF spent a bit over a $1 million on the PNC."

This amount was funded by the PNg government so it does not come oput of RLIF coffers.