What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason doesn't hit back - finally positive media coverage in SMH!

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
WHEN Willie Mason was racially taunted by a patron at Kings Cross McDonald's, he felt like hitting the bloke. But he didn't. Instead, his brother, Les, was nearby to stick up for him.

In the early hours of Monday, the Bulldogs player was called a "black c---", among other things, by a man in a group of five diners. That's when Les, who is taller and 20kg heavier than the 195cm Willie, stepped in. It's not clear what happened but there was an altercation. Police were called but the man did not press charges.

The NSW Origin prop admitted his status sometimes attracted trouble. "I suppose [it's] just another instance of me just standing there," Mason said. "It was my brother who was in the problem. The bloke called me a black c---, he gave me a mouthful.

"My brother heard it and, him being very over-protective of me, gave him a mouthful and stuff like that. There wasn't any damage. He knew he stuffed up. The bloke said sorry and that afterwards. My brother, he's a bodyguard. I could have easily hit the bloke because I had every right to. But I was just a bit smarter and told him he was an idiot. He should watch his mouth and have a little bit more respect for people."

Mason said he had learnt to better handle difficult situations.

"It was quite easy to handle because I didn't do anything," he said. "I don't mind if blokes say 'the Bulldogs suck' or that crap because that comes with who you are and what team you play for. But when they get a little more personal, it pisses me off."

Mason, at Origin training yesterday, said the old days of boozy bonding in camp were over. He said the first night was quiet.

"It's not bonding days any more, it's just a couple of beers," he said. "Those days are gone. It's mainly just private functions."

The ARL investigated the incident and said Mason had nothing to worry about.

SOURCE: http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/why-willie-didnt-hit-back/2006/05/16/1147545325005.html

I almost died of shock reading something positive about the Dogs in the herald....

bulldog

Bench
bigdogsgottaeat said:
I could have easily hit the bloke because I had every right to.

I hope the big fella doesn't really believe this, good to see he kept his head when he may not have a couple of seasons ago.

axie

Juniors
Willie would never get into a fight if Les or Thelma are there to do the dirty work for him ... its been that way since primary school :p

Good to see a story that is ALMOST positive ...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Needless reporting, no matter how positive. People will still cast a down eye, see Sir Knight82 in the NRL forum for evidence.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Do you think Willie Mason would make a decent captain? He's a definite leader. Its a shame that all the off-field bullsh*t over the years has meant its not necessarily a viable option.

He might have a bit of a trigger finger, but I personally think he's better than Ryan. Although Ryan has impressed me the last couple of games.

I just think Willie basically leads out there anyway. He'd be my choice.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Grimaldi deserves to be rewarded, but once he's gone, even if Ryan's still around, I think Mason should be captain. If El Masri wasn't on the wing, I think he would be a walk-in as capt.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
To be honest, he was never even that bad off the field. Just didn't know how to handle himself in front of media "traps".

Mason for PM?

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
bulldog said:
I hope the big fella doesn't really believe this, good to see he kept his head when he may not have a couple of seasons ago.
He's right, actually - it might be pushing things to say that he had 'the right' to punch the guy for insulting him, under Australian law, assault that results from provocation is excusable. If he were an average joe, and decided to hit the guy for the racist taunt, he could legally and adequately defend himself from prosecution by simply pointing out that the comment was made before he attacked.

bulldog

Bench
ShadesOfTheSun said:
He's right, actually - it might be pushing things to say that he had 'the right' to punch the guy for insulting him, under Australian law, assault that results from provocation is excusable. If he were an average joe, and decided to hit the guy for the racist taunt, he could legally and adequately defend himself from prosecution by simply pointing out that the comment was made before he attacked.

You're right, and that is sort of what I meant, it might be excusable for a lot of people but Willie would cop it from all quarters for doing what most of us would love to do in the same situation.

1stNov2000

Juniors
Inferno said:
What the f**k
He has a brother bigger than him :shock:

The Sydney Morning Herald once reported that Willie's mother was a mixture of Samoan, Tongan and African American. Now that's some genetic muscle enhancements right there!

Latest posts