What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cup Round 1 Panthers v Dragons

The Piper

Juniors
Forum 7s - Willow Cup Round 1 2010
PENRITH PANTHERS (3rd) v ST GEORGE DRAGONS (6th)
2010pen-main.jpg
-v-
2010stg-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 3v3 (+ 2 reserves for both teams)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Sunday 6 June 2010 at 9pm (Sydney time)
REFEREE: The Colonel
Venue: Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
CLICK HERE FOR THE OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

Triskaidekaphobia: Not anymore

Triskaidekaphobia. No it’s not the title of a song from Mary Poppins. Nor is it a movie about computer generated spiders.

It is a fear of the number thirteen. There are a many great beliefs to the origin of this superstition, from the last supper and Judas, to the Babyloanians, Vikings and the Freemasons. Over time, some extraordinary lengths some have taken to avoid the number thirteen altogether by people, builders, sporting organisations, hospitals and even governments.

But on a list with more than thirteen items, it cannot be avoided. One such list which I am referring to is the NRL Premiership ladder.

Thanks to the marvels of research, public education and an ample amount of spare time, I have been able to uncover a startling revelation which will have people queuing up for as much thirteen as they possibly can.

There is a very clear and amazing trend happening in the NRL to do with thirteen. Over the past few seasons of the NRL, Round 13 has been the halfway point of the season, except for 2007 when there were 25 rounds where for the sake of this article a bit of mathematical and creative licence was used to decide that 13 would be half of 25.

In Round 13, 2005, the thirteenth team on the ladder was Penrith, who fell just one goal shy of ninth on the ladder by the end of the year.

The next year at the same time, the thirteenth team was Parramatta who finished the regular season at eighth. They lost their qualifying final match in the first week of the finals series that year.

Year 2007 saw the New Zealand Warriors in the thirteenth spot in Round 13, but by Round 26 they had risen to fourth only to be knocked out in the second week of the finals race.

Along came 2008 and it was the Warriors again in thirteenth at the half way point of the season. They finished the year at eighth and had a dream run in the finals making it to the Preliminary final.

Parramatta, 2009 grand finalists, were also sitting at thirteenth on the ladder at round 13. They finished the regular season in eighth position before progressing through the finals series to the premiership decider, falling one win shy of the ultimate prize.

As you can see, there is a pattern forming, every year over the last 6 years has seen the thirteenth team in round 13 progresses one win more every year in the finals series. After grand final runners up, there’s only one more place to go. Premiers.

At Round 12, 2010 there are a few teams vying for the coveted thirteenth position and ultimately, 2010 premiers.

To finish thirteenth on the ladder at the end of Round 13, they require:

Newcastle
Sitting twelfth on the ladder, a win will prevent them from moving down the ladder. The Knights will have to lose, the Bulldogs to win and the Cowboys to lose.

Bulldogs
Currently thirteenth. A win will almost certainly move them to twelfth. If they win, they will need Newcastle to win as well. A Bulldogs loss, along with a Cowboys and Sharks loss will ensure they stay in thirteenth.

Cowboys
Placed fourteenth. If the Cowboys win and Bulldogs lose, then, aside from for and against differences with Newcastle if they lose and Cronulla if they win by 80 points, then the Cowboys will be in the coveted thirteenth.

Sharks
The Sharks are fifteenth on the ladder, but a win this week, along with losses by the Cowboys and Bulldogs will see the Sharks rise to thirteenth position, unless Newcastle lose by 50 and the Sharks win by 50.

Now before anyone laughs too heartily at this prospect, keep in mind there is only 2 wins difference between second last and eighth.

Prior to 2006, only one side placed thirteenth after Round 13 has made it to the top 8, that being Brisbane in 1999 who finished eighth.

The fortunes of the thirteenth team in round thirteen have changed, dramatically, for the better over the past five years.

So don’t waste your time looking at the teams sitting at the top of the ladder. This year your premiership winning team will be sitting at thirteenth on the ladder on Tuesday June 8.

723 words, including title in the official word counter

dubopov

Coach
Dragons side is ..

Dubopov (c)
Murphyscreek (vc)
Dragon Punk (vvc)

reserves

Dragon PSA
Hornbyslilhottie

The Piper

Juniors
The Piper
2010pen-main.jpg

---

NRL should model off The Willow Cup: Piper
PHIL GOULD, The Sun Herald
May 30, 2010

Forum Sevens veteran and current Penrith Panthers member The Piper has urged the National Rugby League to include a shorter round season competition by 2013 to build on the product that The Piper described as “the greatest game of them all”.

The Piper says Rugby League’s campaign to gain more profit for the NRL side “would definitely” be boosted by replicating a second, short competition just as the Forum Seven writing competition is instigating this 2010 season.

"Rugby league boss Dave Gallop has previously talked about expanding our great game in 2013 when the new TV rights are sorted out. I think, and this is only in my opinion, adding another smaller competition into the year would get more fans to more games,” Piper said. “It would create more opportunities for sponsors to have their brand promoted and inevitably bring about more revenue for the game. If not in the middle of the home and away season, then perhaps before the season kicks off. I really feel more games make more sense.”

The Forum 7s Willow Cup begins May 30th this year. The mid-season knockout challenge consists of the entire seven clubs and runs for three rounds. Each round only goes for seven days each, four days less than the normal F7s club game. The teams running second to seventh on the proper comp ladder play off to make it through to the second week, with the team leading the competition automatically through to week two. The winning teams advance with the unsuccessful teams bowing out. The third week sees the two remaining teams clashing in the first Willow Cup final.

This season The Piper notched up fifty-three first grade Forum Sevens matches since 2004. Those matches include twelve representative games (three for New South Wales in State of Origin and nine for Australia.) He has played forty-one club games for Newtown, Cronulla and Penrith.

A Panthers supporter from the Hunter, he has seen many changes over the last six years of the writing competition. Piper says that the mid-year tournament for F7s is a great concept and is excited about its inaugural round. His club, the Panthers, are anticipating a tough encounter in the Willow Cup’s Round 1 against the St George Dragons. They've enjoyed success in the opening rounds in the premier competition.

"If league players are up for it, no doubt the fans, sponsors and everyone else in the rugby league community would want to see more league being played."

Piper, hoping to start in all of Penrith’s Willow Cup clashes, this week made it out to Credit Union Australia Stadium to promote the Willow Cup as well as spread the word of the wonderfully fun Forum Sevens comp itself.

He believes all of the quality players that rugby league produces in Australia would jump at the chance to play for another trophy.

"I’ve talked to a few fellow Forum Sevens players who I believe are all the most diehard fans of league you can find. They’d all love to see their team more during the year and would make it out to the ground to see them play in a pre-season or mid-year competition."

"Just look at examples around the world, like the FA Cup,” Piper points out. “England play two comps of football this time of year and both competitions are both highly respected and have massive turnouts from supporters. I know comparing crowds here and there are like chalk and cheese, but if the NRL builds it, league fans will come.”

"If we had a pre season competition, it would be a worthwhile hit out before the regular season begins. Plus these matches can be still held in the bush, as did the trials, if the NRL wishes so.”

"So, yeah, hopefully this first Willow Cup is a success and hopefully the Panthers can get up! That would be a thrill for me, to win three straight games and collect the cup. It’s named after a man who helped make the game of Forum Sevens what it is today."

The 2013 NRL season is already linked to include more teams in the first grade competition. Western Australia’s Reds side and the Central Coast Bears are favoured to get the nod. Piper thinks it’s the best season for the NRL to introduce more games and boast more profit.

David Gallop is yet to publically respond to The Piper’s comments.

---
750 words says the official counter.

murphyscreek

Coach
Murphyscreek for the Dragons...after wearing his 1977 Amco flared jeans to the ground in honour of classic midweek comps.

739 words between the stars (including an apology)

The Rime Of The Modern Dragoner

When nights are long and days are cold,
And all the Saints fans,
Young and old,
Gather at Jubilee to cheer,
Watch the footy and have a beer.

Or two or three or four or more,
Chanting louder,
When we score,
But then we jeer and jeer and jeer,
All other teams from far and near.

Like the Broncos from the barmy north,
When we play there,
We all go forth,
To fill Lang Park with red and white,
And most the time we win that fight.

Across the land this tale repeats,
We flood all grounds,
And fill their seats,
For other supporters it can’t be fun,
To be outnumbered two to one.

But now this story goes astray,
It all went wrong,
One winter’s day,
For the origin of this tragic joust,
We point the finger at Peter Proust.

He strolled about our grounds one day,
Admiring the crowd,
And skilful play,
Then all of a sudden there came a loud splat,
As upon his head a bird had shat.

And not just any old average bird,
That much was clear,
By the size of the turd,
He looked aloft and soaring across,
The clear blue sky was an albatross.

And now it arced in a sweeping bend,
To circle Jubilee,
For days on end,
It seemed as if that albatross,
Was there to haunt the Dragon’s boss.

For the very next time when Proust went out,
To inspect the grounds,
And throw some clout,
That albatross again let fly,
With perfect aim from way up high.

Prousty scowled and wiped his head,
Then swore to himself,
He’d see that bird dead,
But he knew he couldn’t do it alone,
And after a think he pulled out his phone.

He rang his mate from days of old,
The one who’d worn,
Olympic Gold,
An expert in bow and arrow and feather,
The Nation’s best archer….Simon Fairweather.

“Come here Simon” Peter said,
“I’ve got a bird,
That should be dead.”,
“With your true aim the end is nigh,
For that albatross up in the sky.”.

So Simon did his good mate proud,
He aimed that bow,
Toward a cloud,
Then shot his arrow with a twang,
And killed the bird without a pang.

Now what an awful bloody sight,
A once proud bird,
Dropped from it’s flight,
As dead as dead as dead can be,
Plopped onto the field of Jubilee.

It lay on halfway a mangled mess,
And those that saw it,
Would have nightmares I’d guess,
But what happened next will never make sense,
As the ghosts of past players appeared at the fence.

Then all those dead legends filed onto the ground,
Walked up to that bird,
And circled around,
They all bowed their heads as day turned to night,
Till the spirit of that bird rose up and took flight.

Then the ghosts of past players also drifted away,
Up to the moon,
As they faded away,
Apparitions that never again would be seen,
Except for that albatross looking quite mean.

And now we fast forward for seven stretched years,
To explain why Saints fans,
Are shedding mass tears,
‘Cos since the slaughter of that bird,
Their losing streak had become absurd.

For year after year at Jubilee,
There’s been no more cheering,
Or chants of glee,
And the ground’s near empty when we play,
Since the albatross was slain that day.

The Dragon brand has become a bad joke,
A laughing stock,
And a club nearly broke,
This once fine team has just gone and passed,
Another full season positioned dead last.

The sad thing is who really cares,
If we play with Newtown,
And the Bears,
Because on game day we’ll all still be blue,
As those second grade teams will be flogging us too.

And every time we lose a game,
We’ll all look skyward,
In agonised pain,
Where the ghost of that bird glides silently past,
As a few lingering flags are set at half mast.

And the Dragons ex-boss now sits in the Taj,
Drinking much liquor,
From glasses large,
He wondered how it all went so wrong,
For the faithful of Kogarah and Wollongong.

But it’s not hard to work it out,
Don’t mess with nature,
Don’t even shout,
At bird nor mammal nor spider nor bug,
For if you kill anything…you are a mug.

(With apologies to Samuel Taylor Coleridge)

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro posting for the Panthers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nerves

Sh**, that sound of football spikes on concrete just made a shiver go up my spine. It's definitely show time now. Think about what the coach told me. Just play your natural game and you'll be fine. What is my natural game, anyway? What if I forget? My mind goes blank when I'm on the field and it all just happens. Maybe I shouldn't think about anything at all? No, that would be crazy. All the good players think on their feet. I need to pretend I'm watching myself from the stands so I clearly see what I need to do. Wait, what am I thinking? My mind is racing ... just relax. A couple of pats on the back from the boys, that helps. They have done it all before. Just follow them and I'll be fine.

Wait, I can't follow them - I'm the fullback. It'd be easier if I was a forward. Part of a pack of hunters, tackling and running at tacklers. Simple. Why didn't I bulk up and just become a front rower? Front rowers don't have to catch the ball from a kick. They don't have to catch a bomb put up by Greg Inglis which comes down with snow on it. F***! I wasn't supposed to think about that. Forget about it, here we go, running onto the field. Whoa, look at all those people ... and the noise! How good is this? Look at all the cameras! Man, this is the real deal. Okay forget about it, I'm just a normal bloke running around on a patch of grass with some mates, no pressure ...

Bloody hell I'm glad we're kicking off. Here we go, my debut in first grade has officially started! Okay, I must keep an eye on Cooper Cronk for a kick. Must watch Slater too, I'm sure I will learn plenty from him. Plus I have to track his runs for an inside pass. Surely they won't try it in the first set though - oh sh**, they have! And he's coming! Here we go, just watch his eyes and feet. Don't tense up, don't turn around ... he looks cocky. God I hope he doesn't take me on and step late ... no, he's going to try and run around me. I've got him, take his legs and there ... he's down! My first tackle in first grade. What a huge relief!

Okay they're on the attack now, must track back and stop any more breaks. They're inside our 30. Watch for short kicks. Look out for Cronk and Slater again. Follow the play, follow the play, watch for a reverse kick, stay on your toes. There's the fifth tackle. Cronk is passing, why? Are they going to run it? Oh sh**, here we go, Inglis has it ... how am I going to tackle him? Wait - he's stopped. What's he doing? Look at those bloody legs of his! Oh no, he's going to put up a bomb. Oh boy, this is it. My first bomb in first grade and it's from Greg f***ing Inglis. F***! Here goes the kick ...

Look at that ball go up, up... Boy, those floodlights are bright. Where's the ball? Focus, sidestep, don't look at the chasers. Everything is going in slow motion. I've got time to see who is around me, look down for a sec. My wingers are miles away so it's all mine. Sh**, Slater is bearing down on me like a freight train. Look up again, focus! Don't take your eyes off the ball! Sh**, where has the ball gone, all I can see is lights! There it is. It's spiralling, need to move to my right. Sh** it's moving fast, sprint! I'm not gonna make it! No! Run dammit! This is not good, I wanted it on my bloody chest! Hands out, here we go... Got it! Wait, no I don't, stop juggling, just grab it and hold on tight... stupid hands. Ok feels solid, see who is in front of me... BANG!

Where the f*** am I? Sh**, where's the ball? I can't feel anything. Feeling returning in the form of pain, lying on my back. Focus returning, looking up. It's Ryan Hoffman I think. Sh** that hurt, I think I just got hammered. Did I drop the ball? Look down, there it is. Got it. Ok, play the ball, done!

I did it. I caught it. I'm here. I've passed my first test. I've arrived. I'm in first grade!

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Last edited:

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
DragonPunk for the Dragons takes a lovely offload from Murphyscreek and races downfield

U20s or underprivileged?
Watching the Penrith v Newcastle u20 game last night where the game was at a knifes-edge 26-24 at halftime but it blew out in the second half with Penrith running in eight tries with Newcastle sneaking in one of their own to finish convincing winners 64-32. This sort of score line would be an anomaly in the National Rugby League but this seems the norm for the Toyota Cup, why? This grade was set up to ease players through to first grade but aside from a handful of players, the majority won’t make the leap and the defensive issues teams seem to have is a worry.

Looking at the ladder for this year’s Toyota cup shows the ladder leading North Queensland Cowboys have a points differential of 125, scoring 338 and conceding 213, showing their isn’t a high regard for defence but compare this to the differential of the top ranking team in the NRL premiership St George Illawarra who have a differential of 148, scoring 291 and conceding 143. This highlights the gulf between the two while the attack of Toyota Cup teams are performing better than the NRL counterparts, their defence is horrible with shirt grabs and other feeble attempts at trying to stop an attacking player litter the highlight reels of games in with some great attacking play naturally.

This isn’t to say the Toyota Cup is all bad, it has provided opportunities for over 500 players and officials to gain exposure otherwise they wouldn’t get, It has also been a vessel to trial any new rules including two games being reduced to eleven a side, bringing more expansive footy and was the precursor for the dual referee system the year before it came into the NRL. Off field as well it’s been a success with some Toyota Cup games out rating some more established sporting competitions including the super 14s. There is an audience for a second tier competition but the under 20’s might not be the answer.

Maybe this is because of the age of some of the players, who are just finishing or recently out of high school or they are playing against fellow kids who themselves are just developing their game or coaches who are getting word in their ear about producing more attacking brands of football. Clubs now prefer definitely in the Dragons case using their NSW or QLD Cup to blood their juniors against men giving them a greater indication of what performance will be expected of them in first grade, this methodology has worked with players like Kyle Stanley, Trent Merrin and Jake Marketo making their first grade debut so far in season 2010.

This brings up an interesting comparison between the under 20s and NSW Cup, the scorelines may be lower at NSW cup games but the standard of play is of a higher quality and is normally the first port of call for a reserve player unless it’s an emergency at the last second. This isn’t to say some players who have gone from Toyota Cup to the NRL haven’t made an impact, with several of Canberra’s premiership winning side of 2008 becoming important members of the current Raiders side.

The solution for this inconsistency and defensive problems shouldn’t be to completely scrap the Toyota Cup concept because in the thought of the competition it’s great but some tweaks towards the system would enhance the already quite measure gains so far over the last three seasons. Firstly they should raise the age limit to 23, giving the top tier of players in the NSW or QLD cup to ply their trade in the Toyota Cup and helping to boost the quality because some seasoned hardheads or former first graders who know what it takes to compete at the highest level will give it the extra zest to truly make it the second tier competition also allows NSW and QLD cup players to earn some more money.

(661 words)

dubopov

Coach
Dubo continued to apply the Dragon's relentless pressure ..

MY SISTER ( Well .. one of them ..)

My sister was a wild animal; a wildebeest or a rhino or such like. Anyone who doubts it should have tried to tackle her, or, worse still, have had to be tackled by her in our backyard footy games. She had taken over the role as my winter tormentor after my brother Des had left us. Any thoughts of easy games after his departure came crashing down to earth as quickly as I did in the first encounter with Dotty.

On my initial run I thought I would show up her lack of footy knowledge - I dummied to no-one and stepped off my right foot. It was my pet move in the U15s and I'd scored frequently from it. She was waiting for me and crunched me into the rock-hard ground. Dazed and confused, I looked up at her hovering over me. She snarled and spat as she spoke; "Jeez, is that all you've got. You Rep players are f**king poofdahs."

I looked up again and saw a huge tuft of hair protruding from the side of her loosely-fitting shorts. As I passed out, I wondered whether being a 'poofdah' might be better than facing whatever lurked beneath girls' shorts. She dragged me to my feet and demanded that I get on with the game. Regretfully I continued and copped an absolute pizzling for the rest of the arvo.

The arvo soon stretched into months, all with the recurring theme of me being smashed from pillar to post by the ever-present Dottie. Sadly, unlike the much older brother Des who had continually belted me into oblivion, Dottie was two years younger and much smaller than me. She was the runt of the litter with the Dad gene whilst my other sisters, Des and I had inherited Mum's brick-sh*thouse build.

Towards the end of the footy season, the games thankfully stopped as Dotty's hormones kicked in and she chased anything with a dick. I was relieved that the torment was over but worse was to come - Dotty started 'seeing' my arch-rival Mungo Wilkes. I copped it from all and sundry when Wilkes started blabbing about what a top root Dotty was and gave graphic details about his exploits. I felt things could only get better. They didn't.

Dotty also saw fit to spread the word about her domination of the backyard matches and, most humiliatingly, announced to a crowded playground," My brother Michael is a virgin, and all he does in his spare time is entertain Mrs Palm and her five daughters."

In retrospect, my sex life may have been a wiser choice than hers, as she gave me a chance to square the ledger within a few months. Once I'd heard the info, I made a point of letting everyone know the following day. Choosing an area heavily populated by her friends, I gleefully spread the word, " My sister Dotty is up the duff... She's up the spout ... She's got a bun in the oven.... She's gonna have a Mungo bastard ".

That Christmas holidays Dotty moved to Brisbane for 'work' and I didn't see her until she and the bastard 'Nathaniel' attended Mungo's funeral after the not-so-tragic car accident. Years passed before I would see her again. She didn't even come home for Mum and Dad's 25th.

In the meantime, she encouraged the bastard to play League, and with her relentlessness and her uncle's skill, he started to make a name for himself; culminating in earning a spot as fullback for the Broncos Toyota Cup team when he was only 17. The wiry little Dottie-clone then made the whole Doherty family proud - he was selected to play in first grade when some of the elite were in Origin.

Despite our personal differences, I was determined to see Dotty's boy make his debut. Begrudgingly, Dotty welcomed our whole family and we got free passes to see the bastard in action. We had collectively dreamt of having an NRL player in our ranks and now we had one - even if Nate Doherty was part Wilkes.

It was a brilliant day. The Donkeys flogged Cronulla and the bastard scored a try. We joined in the celebrations at the Five Ways pub and even Dotty loosened up and shouted me beers. It was a great night. Until I went for a piss and opened a cubicle door to see Dotty in action with three of the bastard's team-mates.

My sister was a wild animal. A f**king Cougar.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
Panthers

The Piper – 88
A strong article that while it borders on fiction the writer makes some very valid points and it’s link between F7’s and the NRL works very well.

Madunit – 89

Prophetic perhaps. Plenty of detail and some great research. Will keep this in mind at the end of the season.

Azkatro – 88

Another high quality article. Really captures the readers attention with the descriptive style of writing.

Total - 265

Defeated

Dragons

Dubopov – 87

An interesting continuation of the Mungo Wilkes line of stories.

Murphyscreek – 92

This is a hard style to get right and the writer has done this exceptionally well. Great effort.

Dragon Punk – 82

The arguments against the Toyota Cup had some validity but seemed a bit short on detail which given the word count could have been easily rectified.

Total – 261

POTM – Murphyscreek

The Colonel

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Colonel!

Well done Panthers on getting the win, thanks and bad luck to the Dragons for their efforts.

murphyscreek

Coach
Well done Panthers...too good on the day. Bad luck fellow Dragons.

And thanks Ref for the encouraging comments. Much appreciated.

Latest posts