What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cup Round 2. Bluebags v Panthers

Pistol

Coach
Forum 7s - Willow Cup Round 2 2010
NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS v PENRITH PANTHERS
bluebagsf7s.jpg
-v-
2010pen-alt.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 3v3 (+ 2 reserves for both teams)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Saturday 19th June at 9.00pm (Sydney time)
REFEREE: Antonius
Venue: Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
CLICK HERE FOR THE OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The F7s website has:

Round 2: 13 Jun – 19 Jun

Can we get this sorted asap? Thanks in advance.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Newtown Bluebags Team - Round 2 Willow Cup

The customise Baggers Station Wagon has arrived.

This time Drew-sta is driving, Willow is in the passenger seat, and Muzby is sunning himself on the bonnet. Red Bear has taken up position in the back seat. Gorilla is in the rear humming some tune about Shelley's soft drinks being 'sparkle, sparkle, arkley'.

Bluebags

Drew-Sta (c)
Willow
muzby

Res:
Red Bear
gorilla (vc)
Good luck one and all. :thumn​

Big Mick

Referee
The Panthers Team to play in Round 2 of Willow Cup:

1. madunit
2. Azkatro
3. edabomb

4. Big Mick
5. The Piper

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

Waldron Towers: The Auditors
A group of NRL Auditors walk into the Storm headquarters, known more famously as Waldron Towers. Brian Waldron, who had earlier been hit on the head by a rugby league fan after overhearing Waldron referring to a try as a goal, had his head swathed in bandages.

Waldron had been rushed to the hospital to be treated for concussion, but knowing the Auditors were coming today and fearing his secret player payment system might be unravelled, he escaped from the hospital and rushed back to his Waldron Towers, just in time to greet the Auditors as they arrived.

The auditors are greeted by the secretary and she ushers them in the direction of the very lavish boardroom. Waldron scurries around to intercept them, with the sole intention of dealing with them exclusively by himself.

Waldron: Hello! Please do allow me to introduce myself, I am the CEO of Waldron Towers and may I thank you for your book…your book….your booking….your booking and hope that your stay will be a brief one. Now would you like any drinks before the books…shelf is replaced, the bloody think has been wonky ever since… *thinking* ever since we signed that slightly illegal deal with IKEA. Hmmm, what? Ah yes. Would you like anything to eat, or drink perhaps?
Auditor: Thank you; we will have some coffee please.
Waldron: Oh good, please, do allow me. May I say how pleased we are to have you here, now that we are all in the one competition.

*meanwhile, out at reception, the secretary realises that Mr Waldron is still not well and that the situation may deteriorate rapidly, decides to make a distress call.*

Secretary: Can I speak to John please….yes the bookie….thank you.

*back in the board room*

Waldron: I didn’t have any interest in Rugby League myself quite honestly, but now that I’m in it I’m determined to make it work, one way or another. So I’d like to welcome you all to Melbourne. Now what would you like to drink?
Auditor 1: Can we have two flat white coffees please.
Waldron: Rugby League in Melbourne can and will be a force and there will never be any need to participate in dodgy dealings for the team here to be successful. Sorry! Sorry, what was that again?
Auditor 1: Two flat white coffee’s thanks.
Waldron: Two Brett White contracts…is something we would never have here in this establishment. The very notion is ludicrous. Sorry what was that again?
Auditor 1: Two flat white coffees thanks!
Waldron: Oh, when you said two flat white thanks, I thought you said two Brett White contracts. Oh those shoddy backroom deals of yesteryear. Yes I’d forgotten all about those. Completely slipped my mind. Spider Everett and all those poor AFL suckers I screwed over after exploiting various loop holes, oh yes, completely forgotten it, just like that. Right. Sorry what was your order again?
Auditor 1: Two flat white coffees!
Waldron: Oh yes Brett White’s settees, yes, and Inglis’ Jet Ski too, another one I can hardly remember.
Auditor 2: And a bottle of water too.
Waldron: Billy Slater’s pool, yes, yes, and Cameron Smith’s new twenty foot skiff, that’s another one.
Auditor 3: And a can of Coke.
Waldron: Certainly, I’ll go and get these drinks for you.
Secretary: Mr Waldron would you please call your bookie immediately.
Waldron: JOHN! JOHN! He’s in the finance office you silly girl.
Secretary: Yes call him there.
Waldron: I can’t! I’ve got too much to do. Listen don’t mention the other set of books. I mentioned them once but I think I got away with it all right.

*Waldron walks back to board room where the Auditors are waiting*

Waldron: So, it’s all forgotten now and let’s hear no more about it.

*reading back drinks order*

Waldron: So that’s two flat white coffee’s, Brett White’s settees and Greg Inglis’ jet ski, Billy Slater’s pool and Cooper Cronk’s new car. What a moment. I got a bit confused there. Sorry! I got a bit confused because everyone keeps mentioning shonky books. So could you…

*interrupted by an Auditor*

Waldron: What’s the matter?
Auditor 1: It’s alright
Waldron: Is there something wrong?
Auditor 2: Will you stop mentioning shonky dealings!
Waldron: Me? You started it!
Auditor 2: We did not start it
Waldron: Yes you did! You taught the Roosters how to cheat the cap and get away with it for years!

747 words, including title, in the official word counter

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro posting for the Panthers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In & Away - Episode 7293

The sun shines on yet another beautiful morning on the shores of Winter Bay. Bill, a rugby league player for the Manly Sea Eagles, has just woken up and is going to get some breakfast.

"Morning Roger," says Bill to his fellow house and team-mate.

But despite Bill's jovial greeting, there is tension in the air. Roger, who is already at the table eating some cereal, immediately springs to his feet.

"Shut your mouth you scumbag. I'm not talking to you," he replies.

"What's your problem? I haven't done anything wrong!" says Bill. He isn't having any of it, but deep down he suddenly realises he might have been caught out kissing Roger's girlfriend outside of team training the night before.

"You know EXACTLY what you've done wrong! Get out of my house!" Roger hisses as he intimidates Bill, a halfback, with his size. Bill runs out the door and scarpers to the local surf club, taking a seat at the bar. He immediately smiles as he sees Roger's girlfriend Amy is working there.

"GET OUTTA HERE, YA FLAMIN' DRONGO! You're not welcome here anymore!" yells Ralph, being held back by a few locals.

"It's not his fault dad," pleads Amy, but she knows it's of no use.

"Of course it's his bloody fault, he knows exactly what he did. Stone the bloody crows Bill, you'll never play for the Sea Eagles again, I'll make sure of it!"

Bill tried to reason with Ralph. "Please, don't tell the coach ... I didn't mean it, honestly..."

"SHUT UP! I said get out of here, ya mongrel dog!" yells Ralph.

"Just go Bill!" Amy exclaims. Bill runs out of the surf club and wanders down to the beach. The serenity calms his frayed nerves, as he reflects on the events of the past evening.

Soon, Amy appears and sits down next to him. "Please go away, you've already gotten me into enough trouble as it is," says Bill.

"It's fine, I talked to Dad and smoothed it over. I told him I broke up with Roger and made a move on you last night. I think he fell for it," Amy assures him.

"No, get away from me, you manipulative psycho!" Bill replies as he jumps to his feet. Suddenly Roger appears behind him, grabbing his shoulder and shoving Bill down onto the sand.

"Let's settle this once and for all, you dog," Roger says as he rips off his shirt, revealing his muscular physique. "I don't wanna fight you mate!" Bill replies in a tense voice.

"You're a dog! You took my girlfriend and now you're going to get what you deserve!"

Suddenly, Amy interjects. "It's my fault, Roger. I've been using both of you. I told Bill we broke up and I made the first move," she explains.

"You're flamin' joking!" It was Ralph, who had followed Amy down to the beach and overheard everything.

"No, dad, I didn't mean ... I was just ..."

"Shut up, you little harlot! You can pack your bags and get outta town!"

By now, the whole town is watching on as Amy leaves in disgrace. Ralph, Bill and Roger all shake hands and apologise.

"Well, I still haven't had breakfast, and I'm starving!" Bill says. Everybody laughs. All of a sudden, someone runs down with a piece of paper.

"Bill, Bill! Look at the team sheet for this week! You've been promoted to the starting team and made captain!"

Knowing Roger had been vying for the position of captain, everybody falls silent. Roger looks Bill in the eye. He then reaches out his hand, which Bill accepts for a hearty handshake.

"Well done, mate, you deserve it." Everybody cheers, as Bill is chaired back to the surf club for a big breakfast on the house.

Everybody is in good spirits before Bill's phone rings, and Amy's number comes up. Without saying anything, he rejects the call and continues eating his breakfast.

Little did he realise that Amy had just been involved in a horrific car accident, and she was trying to call for help with her last few breaths of consciousness. Nobody is around and because Bill rejected the call, nobody is coming for help. The credits roll as we see Amy's eyes close in the mangled wreck.

Will Amy survive? Will anybody even find her before it's too late? And how will the Winter Bay locals respond to her plight? Find out more, tomorrow night on In & Away!

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb for the Panthers

2010: A Rugby League Odyssey

2010 has been quite a year thus far. At the half way mark of the season off field scandals are again dominating discussion. The on field performances of sides seem to almost be an afterthought in the modern day, as debates range on a cyclical series of scandals and indiscretions.

The biggest story in 2010 is the systematic defying of the salary cap by the Melbourne Storm. The NRL did a great job by stripping them of their premierships given the scale of the deception. However, after watching the side I support play the Storm I think it is clear that their punishment for this season just isn’t right. Many people have been campaigning that the Storm should be allowed to compete in this year’s premiership if they can get below the salary cap with pay cuts. This argument is flawed; it is much easier for players to take pay cuts if they have been earning an extra 20-30% over rival players for the past four years. The problem with this solution is that it is basically front loading salaries in excess of the salary cap to have a chance at a premiership when the players have earned enough to take a pay cut. Terry Kennedy said it best on the Sunday Roast when he said there is no solution that will leave everyone happy, but I still can’t understand how my team got beaten by a side fielding a team with at least a 20% advantage.

The next scandal that has sparked debates is the Timana Tahu and Andrew Johns racial issue. If you ever needed evidence that Rugby League has fallen a few years behind the rest of the professional sporting world this was it. Johns, a New South Wales Assistant Coach used to racial slurs to insult members of the Queensland side. Tahu decided to make a stand on this issue by leaving the side before their State of Origin match, a stance many have criticised. Here in lies a major problem, there has been little empathy shown for Tahu, in some circles Johns has even been seen as a victim of political correctness. This is not an issue of political correctness gone mad, this is basic humanity and treating others how you wish to be treated. I’m sure if Johns’ family had a history of being treated solely on the colour of their skin he wouldn’t be using racial terms to emphasise his insults. Johns shouldn’t be rubbed out of the game, but he should take a break and learn why people find these comments deplorable. Then maybe he could help enlighten those who seem to support him.

The NRL competition has, as always, continued to soldier on with all the issues around it. There is little doubt that it is getting harder to be a Rugby League fan. Defending the actions of the people involved with the game to friends is impossible, and when there isn’t a scandal happening you can bet there is going to be one just around the corner. Some may say that this is the result of over exposure of the professional era. That certainly holds some truth, but there seems to be a much higher percentage of scandals in our code than in Rugby Union and Cricket. So what is the leadership in these games doing better than our game? That is something David Gallop needs to investigate, as unfortunately his time as CEO of the NRL coincides with these poor behavioural standards.

From Jake Friend’s prescription pills incident to the Newcastle Knights drug scandal, it certainly has been far from a dull year. But the ‘any publicity is good publicity’ thinking is wearing thin. The game is in need of some modern day leadership, where players are taught that responsibility comes with their community status and salaries they command from playing in the NRL. Truth be told I would have given up following the NRL if I wasn’t such a loyal supporter of my club. Their game is basically the only one I watch on an average weekend now. With the amount of double crossing, money hungry and plain stupid individuals and actions in the game the past five years there is very little to like about the code as a whole. Hopefully the remainder of 2010 can put the game back on the right path and lead into a decade of evolution. After all, it can’t get any worse – can it?

-------------------------------------------
748 words, including the title

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags

Leaving it on the field

I got a phone call today from Mark Shulman.

At 5 foot 2 inches and weighing a little over 9 stone in the old measures, Mark 'Bantam' Shulman is perhaps the shortest bloke to ever play rugby league.

In 1977, he played in the historic grand final draw. Running on for the St George Dragons, Shulman directed his much larger charges around the park against the Parramatta Eels.

The match is remembered for the score line. At full time and after extra time, the teams were locked up at 9-all. It was a tough and brilliant clash that saw exhausted players collapsing on the field after the final whistle. For players and supporters alike, we were in uncharted waters.

The match also had a number of unsavory moments. Perhaps the worst of these was a back injury to Shulman which saw the pint-sized half unable to take the field in the grand final replay a week later. I was there, I saw Parramatta forward Ray Higgs go in with deliberate knees to the back. What followed was a frank exchange of views between St George and Parramatta fans in the stands and on the hill. Saints fans saw it as a dog act, Eels fans saw it as part-and-parcel of a tough encounter.

This is not why I got a call from Shulman. He saw my Dragons history website and wanted to make a few corrections. He immediately came across as a gentlemen.

He politely began every note with "I know it's only a small thing..."

"I've never been over 10 stone in my life!"

"My nickname 'Mighty Atom' was something the media put on me early on but it never stuck... I was actually called 'Bantam' by Billy Smith and that's what everyone called me for most of my career."

"I was club captain in 1978 after Steve Edge moved on."

Only a small thing?

I was jotting things down as quickly as I could. But I knew there was question that had to be asked, about the infamous knees in the back from Ray Higgs in '77.

So I asked. In my view, it was an important question as the injury cost Shulman his spot in the premiership decider. The response surprised me at first. Amidst a slightly hesitant reply, it seemed that Shulman himself did not know who did it.

"I didn't see it... Graham Quinn reckoned it was Higgs, but he's as blind as a bat!" Shulman joked.

"There's no footage of it that I've seen. All I know is that when I looked up, Higgs was standing at marker."

Now I was there. Plus I recall seeing some footage of it and reading about it in the press. All these years later, I was convinced that Higgs was the culprit.

It was then that it dawned upon me that he might not want to talk about it. Was it possible that Shulman, after these years, simply wanted it to be left on the field?

In the modern game of saturation coverage of every event, cameras and microphones everywhere, it's hard to hide even minor indiscretions. Nowadays, players and their defence counsels are more likely to come out and 'dob in' their opponents to try and save their own necks. But it was a different time in 1977.

So I backed off.

"Well I do remember seeing some footage... but it was a bit blurred." I said.

"I was there, mind you it was in the Brewongle Stand... or was it the Sheridan Stand.... at least 50 yards away, and it was 33 years ago, and I was 17-years-old."

"So I'm sure my memory of it all is as good as ever!"

I'm happy to say we both got a chuckle out of it. I had my answer. Best to leave it at that.

The fact is, Shulman never let his size get in the way of success. For this reason alone, the man is an inspiration.

In an interview with Roy Masters in 2005, Shulman insisted that his injuries were no different to those sustained by larger players.

Indeed, after suffering a career-ending neck injury in 1978, Shulman said, "the same thing happened to Gorden Tallis, and a month before I did my neck, Penrith's John Farragher broke his and he was a forward."

I think I'm beginning to know where Mark Shulman is coming from. Size means diddly-squat. In the greatest game of all, there is room for everyone.

|750 words|

Ref:
Since 1921 (Jubilee Avenue history website) http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/index.php
Roy Masters article, SMH. http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/A-small-matter-of-timing/2005/05/06/1115092687769.html

Last edited:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Drew-Sta stumbles out for the Bluebags after a snooze in the bus. Drunk and disorderly, he abuses the referee as a good captain would.

---

The Empire Strikes Back

Many people are viewing the installation of an Independent Commission to govern the NRL as the complete solution for rugby leagues current woes. It truly saddens me to reveal that this simply isn’t true, and I will explain why.

League Unlimited's Matt Starkey, a much brighter and more perceptive observer of rugby league, brought my attention to an article written by Roy Masters in the Sydney Morning Herald. In it, Masters describes how Rupert Murdoch’s FOXTEL is looking to continue with its current NRL coverage and now press its claim to improve its Pay TV AFL coverage via the selection of higher quality AFL matches; leaving Channel 7 and Channel 10 to cover the lower quality games.

Party to this will be Channel 9, who is intent on securing the three prime slots for rugby league on Friday night – 7:30pm to 11:30pm – and Sunday afternoon. In addition, it will ensure the jewel of rugby league, State of Origin, is retained, thereby completing its crown of holding the elite NRL sports games in its hands. Channel 9, in order to prevent Channel 7 and Channel 10 from purchasing the State of Origin or any coverage of rugby league, will play a ‘nuisance role’, as Masters puts it, in the negotiations for the AFL coverage while holding their funds for the NRL rights.

What pulls this all together is the review Kevin Rudd’s government is completing on the Anti-Siphoning laws for television rights. The Anti-Siphoning laws are explained in this quote from an article published last September:

The objective of the anti-siphoning regime is to ensure that events of national importance and cultural significance are made freely available to the Australian public and not "siphoned" exclusively to pay television.

In essence, Kevin Rudd was intent on ensuring more events were shown on Free-To-Air television for the Australian Public to view, and sports were a focus. With FOXTEL having a subscription base of 30% of the Australian population, holding coverage of lucrative sports games from the AFL and NRL was driving huge subscription growth for their business.

While this may read as a very convoluted story, Matt clears it up very precisely. When asked if this means Channel 9 is in the seat of power, his response was the following:

No, News holds all the power i.e. Murdoch. He is smashing Rudd in the media at the moment. If he gets what he wants from the Anti-Siphoning legislation, he lets up on Rudd in the media and Rudd has a better chance at the next election. The Anti-Siphoning legislation determines how many games go Free-To-Air. With a low number of NRL and AFL games, FOX stands to retain its subscription base because they can get decent games. Channel 9 is a beneficiary of this either way but the NRL needs more on Free-To-Air to get a bigger price come 2012 and the renegotiation of TV rights. But News is standing in the way and an Independent Commission wouldn’t matter. Ironic enough for you?

So in essence, the NRL is being railroaded into lower income from TV rights by those purchasing them. With FOX attempting to retain the rights of its current games as well as accrue more AFL, and with Channel 9 strategically aligning themselves to up sell the current AFL rights – FOX can offer the NRL less for the TV rights as so can Channel 9 because Channel 7 and Channel 10 are in a contractual agreement to bid for the AFL. To add to this, Channel 9 knows that David Gallop would struggle to legally unbundle the State of Origin from the rest of the NRL, thereby denying Channel 7 a chance to offer mega bucks for the coverage of the interstate clash.

The reality is we want more TV on Free-To-Air with the reason being that it will drive higher advertising revenue and make showing the games more profitable for the station covering the games. This will result in TV networks bidding more to get the rights to cover the games. Instead, what we are left with is a situation where the media corporations are dictating terms to the sports bodies, irrespective of who they are. The NRL, Independent Commission or not, are hamstrung by the political maneuvering of FOX and Channel 9 and until something changes in the positioning of the TV networks, rugby league will not receive the true value for its coverage rights.

Murdoch has screwed us over again.

Words - 749
References:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0618-ymr0.html
http://www.claytonutz.com/publicatio...announced.page

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

with the siren about to sound, a sunburnt muzby steps up for the bluebags & and takes a shot at field goal with this article...

750 words title to finish.

The rock of ages

Guitar_Rock_Music-Babak.jpg

I was trying to get a friend of mine interested in rugby league. He is a massive music fan so I decided to explain the each of the clubs by comparing them to bands.

Broncos: INXS - a great band who produced some magic in the early 90s to be on top of the game. After losing their front man (Hutchence / Bennett) they have not been able to match their former glory & face a few more years in the wilderness.

Bulldogs: Are Oasis. A band which had it’s fair share of controversy & scandal, but is still successful, and no-one really knows why & how, except for their fans - who nobody really cares about anyway.

Cowboys: Resemble Billy-Ray Cyrus. Mysteriously appeared in the 90s and managed to somehow keep relevant in the new millennium.

Dragons: Dragon - a band who were huge in the 70s & early 80s, however did not have a very successful 90s, which culminated in the death of Marc Hunter in 1998. Unlike the band, the St George Dragons did live on, starting again in 1999 as the joint venture with Illawarra.

Eels: Would be Duran Duran. A huge success in the 80s, they pretty much dominated. The 90s were a fairly quiet time, but they have started to make some noise in the new millennium, but still not to the same level they did in the 80s.

Knights: Are the Smashing Pumpkins. Two great albums by the Pumpkins (Siamese Dream, Melancholy & the Infinite Sadness) reflect the two premierships won by the Knights in ‘97 & ‘01. Also like the Knights, the band was torn apart by two different drug scandals which threatened their very existence.

Panthers: Would be the NRL equivalent of the Screaming Jets. Both had a successful start to the 1990s, but both are now just shadows of their former selves. And both can regularly be found performing at Panthers Leagues Club.

Rabbitohs: The Rolling Stones. A band that were huge in their day, and won every possible award. They are arguably the greatest band of all time (as are Souths the club who has won the most premierships) however of late they have not been able to produce anything good & are forced to trade on their heritage.

Raiders: Are the NRL equivalent of New Kids on The Block (NKOTB). NKOTB were a manufactured pop group designed to give a voice to a new generation (for the Raiders sake, it was to give a voice to the nation’s capital). Like the Raiders, NKOTB enjoyed phenomenal success in the early 90s, before fading to obscurity. Time after time they look like coming back to prominence, however each time they simply fade away.

Roosters: Weird Al Yankovic. Weird Al has been around the top of the charts consistently when he releases an album, just as the Roosters have been around the top of the ladder consistently. Weird Al, however, makes his living creating his success from other people’s song development, just as the Roosters drive their success from poaching the juniors of other clubs.

Sea Eagles: AC/DC. You either love them, or you hate them - no middle ground here. But you can’t deny their consistent success.

Sharks: Are an old Elvis impersonator. No success to speak of, but carry on as if they are king.

Storm: Are the Milli Vanilli of the NRL. Like the Storm, Milli Vanilli were a band who were created to help crack a foreign market (London / USA for Milli Vanilli, Victoria for the Storm). Also like the Storm, it turned out that Milli Vanilli were infact defrauding the public and were forced to hand back their awards.

Tigers: The merging of the Balmain Tigers and Wests Magpies is akin to the forming of the supergroup Audioslave - which brought together members of Rage Against the Machine & Soundgarden. The merging of the two brought one hit, Cochise (the Tigers 2005 premiership) but since then have produced nothing, despite the brilliance of Tom Morillo (Benji Marshall).

Titans: Wolfmother. Just as we like to think this band is a new & exciting sound, deep down we know that they are merely just a glorified cover band of Led Zepplin & Black Sabbath, with the Titans merely being the latest incarnation of the Giants & the Seagulls.

Warriors: Are the equivalent of Evermore. A band who has made a name for themselves without ever actually achieving anything. Just like Evermore, the Warriors seem to have been accepted into Australia as one of our own & don’t look like leaving soon.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
clock_0.gif

It's all over. I order everyone to the bar. This beer ain't gonna drink itself!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sounds like it's unit's shout!

Well done everyone. Looks like a close contest.

Over to you ref. :thumn

antonius

Coach
Bluebags
Willow

Leaving it on the field
750 Words
The writer makes a very astute observation about the way certain areas of our game have regressed over time. After speaking with a player from a past era he comes to the conclusion that what happens on the field used to stay on the field. Unfortunately for various reasons, and More is the pity that isn’t the standard these days. Well written.
Score 87

Drew-Sta

The Empire Strikes Back
749 Words
This piece gives us a theory as to why the TV rights won’t be as high as we would like when they are next up for negotiation. One observation I would make is that if Murdoch is going to ease up on Rudd before the election in return for an easing of the anti siphoning laws, then he’d better hurry up he’s only got a few months. The piece is an interesting read, and gives plenty of food for thought.
Score 88

Muzby

The rock of ages
752 Words (this is according to the official word counter, I tried several times and can only assume the images have put you over.)
Very, very clever.The writer assigns a band to each NRL club and draws the comparisons. You have hit the nail on the head with just about every club/band comparison. The reasons given for the matings are very amusing. I really liked this one, imaginative, and funny.
Score 90 minus 2 point penalty 88

Total 263

Panthers

Madunit

Waldron Towers: The Auditors
747 Words
The storm salary cap audit. The writer gives us and inside view as to how the meeting between Waldron and the auditors might go. Look I think the idea is good, but I found the reading of it very confusing. This was mainly due to the lack of inverted comas, I was having trouble discerning when conversation started and finished, and who was doing the talking. More care needed with the structure.
Score 82

Azkatro

In & Away - Episode 7293
747 Words
What a great concept for a sevens game. All those scratching their heads week in week out for subjects, this one shows the way. Saying that, don’t all go giving us soaps to read every week. The piece was corny yes, but it was well written and kept me reading. I can’t wait for next weeks’ episode.
Score 89

Edabomb

2010: A Rugby League Odyssey
748 Words
A very well written look at the state of the game, the scandals, and indiscretions. The subject has been done to death but in this the writer expresses (without over dramatising) the way a lot of people are feeling about our game at the moment.
Score 87

Total 258

Result Bluebags 263 defeated Panthers 258 POTM
Azkatro.

A high standard game with some excellent reads.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
damn, I don't think antonius has seen fawlty towers before :(

lol cheers mate, thanks for the quick refereeing.

Well done bluebags, bad luck panthers.

Great work again Az :)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref.

The Panthers were fantastic. Azkatro knocked them dead imo.

Well done Drew... top score for the 'bags and got us over the line again.