What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Win Buys stake in St George Illawarra

WIN Corporation and its multi-millionaire owner Bruce Gordon have finally struck a deal that will partially privatise the Dragons, just months after the television network walked away from negotiations to buy a stake in the club.

Fairfax Media understands more than two years of on-again, off-again talks between St George Illawarra and the media company have finally reached an agreement, with the Dragons expected to confirm their new ownership structure on the eve of the finals series.

It's believed an announcement could come as early as this week.

Under the deal, it is believed the Dragons' multimillion-dollar loan sourced from the NRL will be repaid and their home-game allocation, with matches at Kogarah and Wollongong, will remain largely intact.

And the sale will conclude one of the last points of business for retiring chief executive Peter Doust, the longest-serving NRL club boss, who has been in charge of the Dragons for 18 years. He will step down at the end of the season.

The WIN sale will also cap one of the most tumultuous periods in the joint-venture's history after the Dragons first floated the idea of privatising the Illawarra Steelers' equity in the club in late 2014.

WIN Corporation was always the preferred option, given its Wollongong headquarters and long-standing ties with both the Dragons and Steelers.

But the company told St George Illawarra officials it was no longer interested in assuming a 50 per cent stake in the club back in April, casting doubt over the Dragons' ability to find a suitable buyer before the end of 2018.

The Dragons were unbeaten ladder leaders at the time and had just been installed as premiership favourites with bookmakers.

WIN had insisted it would maintain a commercial relationship with St George Illawarra and remain a sponsor of the club, but its reluctance to progress with ownership talks was thought to be a big blow to the Dragons.

Gordon and his son Andrew, a St George Illawarra director, briefly considered launching a fresh bid independently of WIN Corporation to assume the Steelers' share in St George Illawarra as other interested purchasers circled. But later, under the guise of WIN Corporation, they quietly returned to the negotiating table in the hope of snapping up an interest in one of the NRL's most recognisable franchises.

Private investment in NRL clubs has become a much more attractive option under a funding agreement that sees clubs paid $3 million above the salary cap for the length of the existing broadcast cycle.

Football department spending has also been capped, putting an end to the arm's race in which clubs felt compelled to spend freely to remain competitive with their cashed-up rivals.

The issue of private ownership has been a hot one for the NRL in the past year after deals were struck to take Newcastle and Gold Coast off the market while a raft of buyers were earlier this year being mobilised to take the Sea Eagles off the hands of the Penn family.

The Dragons are guaranteed to be featuring in just their second finals series in the past seven years after a morale-boosting win over the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday night, which powered them back into fourth spot.

URL LINK: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fl...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

As a long time St George suspporter I am not doing cartwheels over this news. I had hoped that the Taj Mahal would pay off the club debt which could have led to the Dragons becoming a stand alone club once more. But it was not to be.

wayne57

Juniors
I do not like what I just read on Fox being a St George supporter all my life over 55 years for one and only club the mighty Dragons.

The allocation of board members, WIN will appoint three board members, St George two, and Illawarra one.

So does this mean, Win will have 3 board members, St George 2 and Illawarra 1.

If this is the case that would mean St George with only 2 votes,would not have much of a say on any decisions

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=a6d307aac295059c7d54fc79efd8aeb4-1534732764

Carlton

Juniors
I do not like what I just read on Fox being a St George supporter all my life over 55 years for one and only club the mighty Dragons.

The allocation of board members, WIN will appoint three board members, St George two, and Illawarra one.

So does this mean, Win will have 3 board members, St George 2 and Illawarra 1.

If this is the case that would mean St George with only 2 votes,would not have much of a say on any decisions

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=a6d307aac295059c7d54fc79efd8aeb4-1534732764

The telegraph reported 3 WIN directors, 3 St George directors and 1 b"class" director for Illawarra with limited voting rights. This is still a crap situation but at least its marginally better than what Fox is reporting.

If the Fox report is correct pack your bags all you St George supporters and find another team. If this is true no wonder they kept it all so quiet.

possm

Coach
The telegraph reported 3 WIN directors, 3 St George directors and 1 b"class" director for Illawarra with limited voting rights. This is still a crap situation but at least its marginally better than what Fox is reporting.

If the Fox report is correct pack your bags all you St George supporters and find another team. If this is true no wonder they kept it all so quiet.

I'm a little confused, help me someone! From what I understand:
WIN appoint 3 board members on of which is the chairman who has not casting vote rights and the other two have full voting rights.
St George appoints 3 board members all who have full voting rights.
Illawarra appoint 1 board member who has limited voting rights.

Given that the chairman will have full voting rights but not a casting vote, this means:
WIN have 3 board members with full voting rights.
St George have 3 board members with full voting rights.
Illawarra have one board member with restricted voting rights.

So that it would appear that all major decisions would require one board member to vote with the other party. And for minor decisions, Illawarra can break an impass.

Not an ideal situation and I am surprised WIN agreed to such a structure.

I would like to see:
The Chairman have a casting vore.
WIN appoint two board members with full voting rights.
St George appoint two members with full voting rights.
St George Illawarra full members are allocated 3 spots on the board with full voting rights. These members voted in by SGI full members.

Surely it's time to give SGI members a say!

Jeez the reaction in here anyone would think Twiggy Forrest bought us and was relocating us to Perth.
I think it’s what they are not telling us that has people worried.
If any contentious decisions have to be made and the board splits along the St George/ Illawarra voting lines, someone has to have a deciding vote.
If it’s not the Chairman, who decides the vote?
If there is no deciding vote, we stagnate into an impasse.
Either way doesn’t seem good for the St George side of the equation.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
If any contentious decisions have to be made and the board splits along the St George/ Illawarra voting lines, someone has to have a deciding vote.
Why would the WIN element automatically side with the sole Illawarra vote?

You don’t think they’d be voting for the best outcome for the club?

You don’t become an organisation worth hundreds of millions of dollars by playing schoolyard friendship games..

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Mary, with the help of his assistants who assist when he's insistent on being assisted.

Gareth67

First Grade

You don’t become an organisation worth hundreds of millions of dollars by playing schoolyard friendship games..

Exactly, that was the point I was attempting to make in my earlier post - WIN are in now and they shall therefore make every attempt at ensuring success both on and off the field .
They will recoup their money by opening new avenues of business, whatever it may be and by so doing there’s a good chance the the Dragons will finally be able to have more then $26,000 in TPA’s .

Undoubtedly we will be hearing more of the ‘ nitty- gritty ‘ of this deal and also its advantages and disadvantages in the coming months , but for now I am most pleased that the club is no longer at the NRL’s beck and call .

Carlton

Juniors

I dont know who you are in real life Muzby but this is the same sort of spin and deflection the club has been feeding fans for years together with the trust us we'll look after you line.

WIN have been involved with the joint venture for a long time via the Illawarra connection. And you are right they want something from this arrangement but so far we haven't heard what it is. And lastly, multi million dollar businesses like WIN have for eons relied on "mates", sometimes it works and sometimes they outsmart themselves and lose.

Why were they so scared to allow members to have a say in any decisions affecting the club?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
i'll donate your 0% to the farmers. don't let your halo slip and keep up the good fight.

Our poor farmers need all the help they can get...........

drought.jpg

6340406-3x2-940x627.jpg

96183968.jpg

Reactions: jak

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I dont know who you are in real life Muzby
Neither do I. I wake up every morning trying to further break down puzzles and mysteries to help me understand my true identity, not knowing if each day is bringing me closer to the truth or further into obscurity.

Why were they so scared to allow members to have a say in any decisions affecting the club?
The vote would have been pretty one sided.

A) be indebted to the NRL and potentially face more ‘right game right venue’ strategies to raise cash

B) Keep our home grounds and jersey, reduce the Illawarra influence on the club, become debt free and have a St George man run the club

Because WIN is a Wollongong based company.
It begs the question that if WIN is going to bring on all this corporate sponsorship and third party agreements, why hasn’t it in the past when they and the Gordon’s have been involved with the club for years?

I have no problem with Johnston being appointed CEO. He has proven himself in the business world.

What I think needs to be made clear to all JV fans is the board voting structure.

If Illawarra has B class shares in the JV company, what issues are they entitled to vote on ?

If I were running the St George side of the JV, I would expect the Illawarra board member to be an observer only, as the Illawarra side has sold its financial interest to WIN, or if he were to have any
Voting rights they should be limited to motions pertaining to the club’s identity, colours etc. Nothing more.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I dont know who you are in real life Muzby but this is the same sort of spin and deflection the club has been feeding fans for years together with the trust us we'll look after you line.

WIN have been involved with the joint venture for a long time via the Illawarra connection. And you are right they want something from this arrangement but so far we haven't heard what it is. And lastly, multi million dollar businesses like WIN have for eons relied on "mates", sometimes it works and sometimes they outsmart themselves and lose.

I knew Brian's sister so I might see if I can get an invite to his first BBQ as CEO - to checkout the lineup of lackeys, lapdogs, McGregor apologists & wannabes.

Mary's happy, so we should man the barricades as this smells like being dudded again.

Renewal?
A 20 yr rewind?

Brian anointed Doust and sang the praises of Mary's extension FFS

Now Illawarra nepotism writ large.

Have you been reading the pulse of the fan base Bruce & Brian?
Keep the sycophants & imposters and you'll deadset do your dough mate.

There's no stomach for more of the same

Latest posts