What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Stadium roof buckling under high winds, could collapse

natheel

Coach
My old man was asked to do the quantity surveying for the new grandstand. But when he saw the plans he knocked it back reckons it was a shit design destined to f**k up...

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
we had a stuff up of similar magnitude down here in melbourne..

they built a 120m high observation wheel a few years back, costing $100 million <insert doctor evil pose here>

less than 3 months of operation they pulled the whole thing down becuase the steel cracked & buckled..

are we becoming too ambitious in our designs, or should we stop awarding contracts to the lowest bidder

southernstar.jpg

?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
so is it still up? Can they repair or do they have to start again.?

Quite the f**k up, bad all round.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[FKN-SIK];7771180 said:
That's the stupid government's fault for giving the team money to renovate BOTH of their stadiums.

Wasn't it built by a company who sponsors the club?
No, and no.

WIN Stadium is a council ground. It is managed by the Wollongong Showground Trust. The NSW Government funded the development.

WIN TV have been sponsor of the ground (naming rights) since the 1990s. They don't own the ground anymore than Suncorp own Lang Park.

Historically, it is known as the Wollongong Showground.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we had a stuff up of similar magnitude down here in melbourne..

they built a 120m high observation wheel a few years back, costing $100 million <insert doctor evil pose here>

less than 3 months of operation they pulled the whole thing down becuase the steel cracked & buckled..

are we becoming too ambitious in our designs, or should we stop awarding contracts to the lowest bidder

southernstar.jpg

?

with proper design you can build anything, its not as though structural engineering is something new and a structural design for something as simple as a grandstand is pretty much a no brainer

unfortunately our system allows the construction to be awarded to the lowest tenderer and in the case of a grandstand, the cost of the steel would have a big impact on the final cost, therefore quality steel like that of Blue Scope Steel (formerly BHP) probably never got a look in

my guess is that the steel would have come from Asia and therein lies the problem, just my opinion of course but being experienced in the govt tendering system I'd be willing to bet parts of my anatomy on the cause

carcharias

Immortal
I am no builder...but looking at the pics of it online I am not suprised this has happened.
Proximity to the open ocean and the design seems a bit hopeful.
What ever happened to bricks and mortar..and walls?

this looks like a big tin hang glider.

art-win_stadium-420x0.jpg

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

Goddo

Bench
:lol:
Steeling my thunder AG...........

Yep, chinese steel. The mining industry and all the construction going into hat industry is full of it. Not saying that it's worse quality, but it does show the attitude of the mining industry to local investment.

Building new stadiums is a disaster for clubs. At least our demolition was cheap, but it took 4 seasons to build, and we had to play at Centerbury's ground before we come home - and won one comp.

Not to mention what happened to poor old Norths.

Without the bullsh*t, someopne tell me that this won't really jeapoardise Saints future.
Alarmist old fool

Loudstrat

Coach
F*ck off you old twat. Major stadium construction problems led to Norths demise - sorry for hoping your club wasnt going to suffer the same fate you genius. :roll:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
F*ck off you old twat. Major stadium construction problems led to Norths demise - sorry for hoping your club wasnt going to suffer the same fate you genius. :roll:

Completely different circumstances. Norths demise came about because they needed Graham Park to meet the "criteria". Saints can just play 12 games at Kogarah next year and don't have the cash problems Norths had.

docbrown

Coach
Pretty much.
I'd hate to be structural engineer that put his signature on that one, all I can say is I hope he has indemnity insurance and/ or a shitload of documentation attesting to the MPa and UTS of that steel that negates the blame.
Incidents like this illustrate why you have insurance.

Isn't the roof still under partial construction?

Looks to me like the wind has uplifted the roof in the middle before the cross brace connection were in place.

docbrown

Coach
Re Chinese steel - it's usually Australian ore shipped to China, processed and sent back - because we killed our production industry.

Parra

Referee
Building something in Wollongong with imported steel and then watching it fail.

Sign of the times.

docbrown

Coach
The GFC and subsequently the skyrocketing Aussie $ did that

We've been killing our industry since the 70's.

We dig the shit up.
Send it overseas for pennies.
They process it.
Then send it back to us for dollars.

Australia is the lucky country only because of our mineral wealth. We seem incapable of fully capitalising on it.