What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windies a chance of pulling off a miracle

Glenn McGrath has apologised for his outburst at Ramnaresh Sarwan during the fourth Test, regrets the storm of controversy it has stirred in Australia, and - though he knows he has said the words before - says the experience will hopefully lead him to control himself in future.
He acknowledged a reference by Sarwan to McGrath's wife Jane had nothing to do with the fact she has cancer, and said he and the West Indies vice-captain still had a friendly relationship following a post-match discussion in which "there were apologies from both sides".
Read more

In response to the excerpt of my post that you questioned El...

No, I wasn't saying that McGrath brought Sarwan and Lara's wives up.

But the fact is that McGrath made a lewd comment and Sarwan offered a standard retort.

The blame lies with McGrath...he knows it, he accepts it, you should to

imported_midas

Juniors
willow
You are absolutely right.If this had really occurred,the ensuing ruckus would have made the underarm incident look like a rational discussion.
Modern sport being what it is and human nature being what it is,I suppose it,s possible that we could have one or even 2 players who could stoop to that sort of thing (I hope not,but it,s possible)but there are (or were) players in that team who would have no part of anyone who made remarks like that.
In addition ,it,s inconceivable that Cairns would have tolerated it.
No ,I think we can despatch this one to the urban myth file or the bullshit file.
Also interesting that Dion Nash did not play in that series.

imported_midas

Juniors
meth
Lara is unmarried which apparently was part of Mc Graths sledge.No rumours there,on the last tour of Australia Lara had a gorgeous teenage English model in tow -top sort !
Interesting that during their relationship,Lara publicly sledged her a couple of times-seems he,s up there with the best.
Anyway McGrath has publicly and very genuinely apologised and that,s the end of it.

Infuzer

Juniors
If someone had said the same thing about my women...hell yesI would of done the same thing. The PM got it right. For a change.

Aussie PM joins the debate as McGrath and Sarwan make up
Wisden CricInfo Staff - 14 May 2003
With the heat of the battle over, Glenn McGrath and Ramnaresh Sarwan have kissed and made up after their ugly confrontation in the fourth Test in Antigua. Speaking on an Australian radio station, Sarwan said he and McGrath had cleared the air over their mid-pitch altercation during the fourth day's play, and insisted there were no hard feelings. Sarwan, whose 105 helped steer the West Indies to a record-breaking win, would not reveal what was said between the two players in the heated clash which caused umpire David Shepherd to step in and cool things down. <table width=210 align=right border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td width=10>
spacer.gif

</td> <td align=middle>
12171untitled.jpg

Flashpoint: McGrath and Sarwan clash
</td></tr></tbody></table>However, according to the Sydney Morning Herald, McGrath was seen to say: "If you ever f---ing mention my wife again, I will f---ing rip your f---ing throat out." But, rather confusingly, Sarwan had made no reference to McGrath's wife, and McGrath was said to be embarrassed about his over-reaction. That, however, cut no ice with Australia's most famous cricket fan. The Prime Minister, John Howard - a self-confessed "cricket tragic" - waded into the debate during an interview with a Melbourne radio station, describing McGrath's furious reaction as "a very Australian thing to do". While admitting he didn't know the exact sequence of events, Howard said: "Well, I've read, I mean if somebody did say something about his wife then I would understand fully his reaction. There seems to be some debate as to who started [it] and who said what but anybody who says something about somebody's wife who's had cancer, that's pretty bad and I can understand a man defending his wife. I would, I'm sure you would, and it's a very natural Australian thing to do." Despite their war of words, Sarwan insisted they are now on friendly terms: "Both of us have apologised to each other and it's good to know that both of us did that in the good context of the game, and what took place in the series and this game. It's good to know that we have apologised to each other and appreciate each other's friendship." When quizzed on the issue of the Australian's reputation as the world leader in sledging, Sarwan played it down by saying, "I'm not sure about that, who's the leader of that [sledging], but obviously players have things to say on the field and it's up to the individual or a team if you want to take it personal but, really and truly, we don't have a problem with each other." Steve Waugh attempted to play down the incident as well. "I don't think there's anything wrong with exchanging a few words on the field. But we know it's going to be replayed 10 or 20 times. It's going to be seen over and over again and kids are going to see it as well." Referring to McGrath's fury, Waugh said: "He [McGrath] probably misinterpreted it. Ramnaresh Sarwan hasn't got a mean bone in his body. He's a great guy. It's a moment all the players regret, we wish it hadn't happened but it did." Meanwhile, Mike Procter, the match referee, clarified that no action would be taken against the two players. "It got pretty serious out there for a time. Fortunately, Dave Shepherd stepped in at the right time." Procter saw nothing wrong with Australia's brand of aggression on the cricket field. "Australia has always played pretty tough cricket, I don't think anyone wants them to change the way they play," he said. "Sometimes, people like to knock the people at the top. They are a wonderful side and play in the spirit of the game."

Thanks midas, but it doesn't really matter much for mine. The issue isn't the specifics, its more that McGrath was the instigator and had no excuse to carry on the way he did, even with his unfortunate circumstance

Sarwan can't be held accountable.

Anyway McGrath has publicly and very genuinely apologised and that,s the end of it

That's commendable and McGrath can't be faulted for that.

John Howard is a goose.

No wonder he gets himself in so much strife....he won't comment on the GG, but he wades into the McGrath issue...and apparently without looking at what happened (in my opinion, of course)

Suppose I'm in a glass house throwing stones...three cheers for Helen

imported_Kaon

Juniors
<span>Johnny Howard should f**k off and go and concentrate on making our lives worse. <span>The whole issue was dying down at last after BOTH players apologised to each other <span>and now we have this fool sticking his nose in it.</span></span></span>

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks for the article Infuzer...

The Prime Minister, John Howard - a self-confessed "cricket tragic" - waded into the debate during an interview with a Melbourne radio station, describing McGrath's furious reaction as "a very Australian thing to do".

WTF is Howard going on about? Its clear that every forummer here knows more about the incident than Howard. He looks all the more stupid since McGrath has apologised.

While admitting he didn't know the exact sequence of events, Howard said: "Well, I've read, I mean if somebody did say something about his wife then I would understand fully his reaction. There seems to be some debate as to who started [it] and who said what but anybody who says something about somebody's wife who's had cancer, that's pretty bad and I can understand a man defending his wife. I would, I'm sure you would, and it's a very natural Australian thing to do."

Howard, if you don't know what happened, then why stick your nose in it?

Since when was it an Australian thing to defend your wife? What a complete tosser Howard is. Exactly what does he mean by that? We can assume that he means other nationalities do not defend their wives or families. I keep forgetting that we Australianshave the superior culture.

imported_midas

Juniors
Just did some more checking on cricinfo.Turns out Parore didn,t play in the 1993-4 series either.Zero from 2-can,t help bad luck.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It just gets harder and harder to back up this story. Maybe we should get the PMs opinion.