What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windies a chance of pulling off a miracle

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Set 417 to win in the final innings, the Windies are backing themselveslook like they might pull it off.
Fourth Test, Antigua, day four: Australia 240 & 417; West Indies 240 & 371-6 (at close) West Indies were on course for a dramatic Test win after their batsmen assaulted the Australian bowlers on the fourth day in Antigua. Led by centurions Ramnaresh Sarwan (105) and Shivnarine Chanderpaul (103 not out), the hosts battered the world's best bowling attack to put them within sight of victory.
If the West Indies do achieve their goal of 418 it will be the highest fourth innings total to win a match in Test history.
So much for Test cricket being predictable.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.leagueunlimited.com
>> Front Row

and don't you just love it when the aussie cricketers get the shits.

will they go down in the record books as the team that blew the largest second innings lead in test match history?

imported_midas

Juniors
Just finished watching an amazing win.
No fun in losing a Test but it really will be a great thing for the West Indies,who look to have the basis of a pretty good team.
They just need to develop a couple of strike bowlers and they will be a formidable side.
Catches lose matches.Martin Love dropped a kindy catch off Banks on 2-lost the game.Love looked uncomfortable with the bat in both digs and didn,t look at ease in the field-might be short of this level.
David Shepherd is past it as a Test umpire-too many blues in two Tests.
How Ponting won man of the series is a mystery-Lara got as many runs but got them of a far better bowling attack.
Atmosphere at St John,s was unbelievable-I,ve decided to be at the next one in 2007.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I sat up and watched it as well.
midas: "No fun in losing a Test but it really will be a great thing for the West Indies,"
That was my feeling as well. It turned into a great Test match. Both teams went for it and in the end the Windies had enough to get home.

When Shepherd turned down theLBW appeal on Banks, I had mixed feelings. If he was given out, the Windies may have fallen in heap. As it turned out, they made history. Doesnt change anything about Shepherd though, very poor decision.

But a great result for West Indies cricket... they havent had a great run of late. They may have lost the series but it looked like they all won the lottery after the winning runs were hit. I noticed Curtly Ambrose was on hand to congratulate them. It would be tremendous if the Windies could get back to those days.

Agree totally about the atmosphere. TheAntiguan crowd really know how to throw a party. Very tempted to make the trek next time Aust go there.

B

bender

I know Australia's record in recent years has been impressive and maybe even better than the Windies from the 80s, but you have to wonder how the recent aussie teams would have fared against those sides which pretty much had 6 Brian Laras, the best Wicketkeeper in the world(who could bat) and 4 top notch fast bowlers. I can't see the Aussies competing against them.

imported_midas

Juniors
Bender
Don,t think the WI ever had 6 Brian Lara,s.Greenidge,Haynes,Richards,LLoyd maybe and only Richards had a better average than Lara.
On their best day they didn,t have the worlds best keeper,just a batsman who could keep.
However,at full strength,with Warne to give us an edge,and Gilchrist who is far superior to Dujon,it would be a hell of a game -probably come down to the type of deck it was played on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its always hard to compare teams from different eras. The Windies were the best in the world then and the Aussies are the best now... regardless of what the SAFs think.

If we had a time machine and put both teams up against each other, it would be one heck of match. No doubt about that.

...but whatever era you want to talk about, you can be sure that NZ would still be losing.

imported_Docker

Juniors
And McGrath, the most vile sledger the game has even seen lost his rag when having declared that Sarwan and Lara were a sexual item received a reply about his (McGrath's) wife. He informed Sarwan that "if you mention my wife ever again I will rip your f**king throat out"

Seems that the little altercation affected Mcgrath more adversely than Sarwan.

O

ozbash

lol, wouldnt have worried warnie..
he would think sarwan was suggesting a gang bang.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
These cricketers have an intimate knowledge of each other. So it all must be true what they say... lol.
Where did you read that quote Docker?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If they did say something about his wife, its a pretty low act... considering her cancer treatment and all. Can't blame him for wanting to rip their throats out.

imported_Kaon

Juniors
Willow, Sarwan didn't directly target McGraths wife. It went along the lines of

McGrath: Suggested something of a sexual nature of Sarwan
Sarwan: Just says "i don't know, why don't you ask your wife" (this reply might have been said a million times on a cricket field).
McGrath: Losses the plot.

You can't attribute any of the blame to Sarwan as some aussie media outlets are trying to do.

Rubicon

Juniors
McGrath got beaten at his own game.
What about Sarwan's wife? Lara's wife? Why is it only Glen McGraths personallife that is sacred?
<span></span>
<span>If a bully is picking on a kid and hits him, and the kid king hits the bully, then the bully got what he had coming</span>
<span></span>
<span>This is a fairly good contribution from over the way....from an Aussie</span>
<span></span>
<span>Heres my 5 cents
McGrath overreacted big time. He made a sledge Sarwan retorded wihout going overboard(made no reference to his wife's cancer). Lots of guys would have done the same. Hewouldnt have been thinking about McGrath's wife having cancer. Sarwan was never in the wrong. He has no case to answer. McGrath is just a little high strung and protective of his wife right now and overreacted big time.I mean look at the top sledge same thing implied both times one time McGrath laughs the other McGrath goes insane. He issaid to be embarrassed by his outburst which shows who was in the right and who was in the wrong. If anything McGrath should apologise for his outburst at Sarwan. McGrath's got to keep his emotions in check he is meant to be representing Australia and its people. Australia are a good team but they do sledge more than anyone else and harsher than anyone else by all reports. </SPAN>

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks Kaon. I hadnt even been noticing of the sledging reports. Been watching the cricket thats all. You're right, its part of the game. And it sounds like McGrath let it get under his skin.

If I was to speculate what the problem is, it can usually be attributed to something else that bother these sportspeople when they lose the plot. I think in McGrath's case, its been well documented and for that he should be given some slack - although a fine and reprimand might be on the cards. But really, there's nothing much in it.

Its not as bad as Slater when he had what looked like a nervous breakdown in the UK a few years back. He was dropped from the side and sent home. Or Ranatunga walking his players from the field in a match against England over an umpiring decision. Or Lillie taking to Miandad with the broadside of his boot. These sort of things get the attention.

As for sledging generally. I've never seen a problem with it. It's always others who have nothing to do with it that seem to be the most offended.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.leagueunlimited.com
&gt;&gt; Front Row

El Duque

Bench
What about Sarwan's wife? Lara's wife? Why is it only Glen McGraths personallife that is sacred?

What's this bullshit?

Are you saying McGrath insulted their wives?

It certainly looks that way.
<span></span>

El Duque

Bench
I didn't know McGraths wife had cancer, how is Sarwan on the other side of the world supposed to know? Should Sarwan research every player so he can watch which sledges he makes?

If Sarwan didn't know then he's the dumbest f**k on the planet.

Why did he think McGrath missed the first two tests?