What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

horrie hastings

First Grade
Casella Family limited release 2013 shiraz, had this bottle sitting in the cupboard for ages so thought i would open it tonight because i had doubts about its shelf life, wow when i opened it i got beautiful cherry and licorice flavours then when it settled a bit more i was getting a almost tobacco taste and then lovely soft leather coming through, really enjoyed it watching the football tonight and now scratching my head of why i gave another bottle of it away ages ago to someone who probably wont appreciate it.

20230818_200302_resized.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
Billy Button Rosso 2021. Alpine Valleys VIC.

Not been drinking a lot recently, recovering from pneumonia. Anywho

37% Barbera, 23% Tempranillo, 18% Dolcetto, 13% Refosco, 9% Sangiovese.

Super cool. Wild flowers and sweet red berries, but like those wild strawberries you used to find everywhere in the 90s? Dried thyme, fennel, a little dried mushroom dustiness. Finishes like a red apple, crunchy acid. Keep the shiraz-cab, this kind of blend is the future.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Another brain snap from Liqourland, last year they got the stores to stock Greek wines by Gaia and Thymiopoulos, fast forward to now after no stock selling they are all reduced to $5 to clear after being from around $22- $32 depending on the varietal.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Another brain snap from Liqourland, last year they got the stores to stock Greek wines by Gaia and Thymiopoulos, fast forward to now after no stock selling they are all reduced to $5 to clear after being from around $22- $32 depending on the varietal.
Great way to ruin your imports market.

Any assyrtiko in what they're clearing?

Dans selling Gaia assyrtiko for $35.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Thompson Estate Four Chambers Pinot Noir 2017, lightly chilled it to have with pizza while watching the Grand Final, nice and light mainly picked up raspberry characteristics, perfect choice.

I'll break my rule and jump into Liquorland to get a few if I can. I'm a sucker for assyrtiko.
I have a guess you would agree with me (particularly since you know how to follow a proper footy team), but the fact that Australia doesn't look to the "warmer" parts of the Mediterranean for wine advice is almost a proper tragedy.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'll break my rule and jump into Liquorland to get a few if I can. I'm a sucker for assyrtiko.

What are the main characteristics of this wine ? We still have a few bottles left , thought we had sold them all but found some more and I'm uhmming and arrringh whether to buy them.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
What are the main characteristics of this wine ? We still have a few bottles left , thought we had sold them all but found some more and I'm uhmming and arrringh whether to buy them.

Assyrtiko?

Usually quite dry and acidic, citrusy and a bit floral and saline. Think vermentino as a bit of a comparison.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I have a guess you would agree with me (particularly since you know how to follow a proper footy team), but the fact that Australia doesn't look to the "warmer" parts of the Mediterranean for wine advice is almost a proper tragedy.
I'd argue its blatant foolishness and ignorance.

The fact all the Riverland is primarily planted with Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Chardonnay and Sauv Blanc instead of Nero, Assyrtiko, Monte, Temp etc shows how dumb we are.

Shiraz in the Barossa aside (as its now a 'style' thing), why people don't drink more mataro, grenache etc is insanity. We drink sub par pinot at $20 instead of grenache for the same price which is twice the quality.

We drink merlot from everywhere we shouldn't instead of mataro from Barossa. It's just an industry being driven by retailers who have no f**king clue about how to strengthen the agricultural foundations that are in desperate need for change to survive, especially with climate change.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Its a bit of a cross between vermentino and riesling. Jim Barry imported vines to Australia years back and sell the only known Australian grown fruit for $35 I think. Sam showed me the plantings and its fascinating. They're using it to hedge for when Clare will be too hot to grow riesling and they're increasing the plantings as assyrtiko loves heat.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd argue its blatant foolishness and ignorance.

The fact all the Riverland is primarily planted with Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Chardonnay and Sauv Blanc instead of Nero, Assyrtiko, Monte, Temp etc shows how dumb we are.

Shiraz in the Barossa aside (as its now a 'style' thing), why people don't drink more mataro, grenache etc is insanity. We drink sub par pinot at $20 instead of grenache for the same price which is twice the quality.

We drink merlot from everywhere we shouldn't instead of mataro from Barossa. It's just an industry being driven by retailers who have no f**king clue about how to strengthen the agricultural foundations that are in desperate need for change to survive, especially with climate change.

Maaaaan I think it's such a Pandora's box question in a way because it goes ultimately to the core of the wine industry. Which is that, IMO, until very recently the whole industry has essentially been a conservative, change averse bunch of old folks making wine basically for themselves. Locals love their own regions, but otherwise it's the same juice wherever you go.

You and I and SGL and anyone else who's ever worked in the industry know exactly what I mean. It's the old bloke who comes in wanting a shiraz, but actually meaning he wants nothing except Pepperjack. Because "shiraz" is only high ABV fruit syrup from the Barossa and anything else is "rough". Cab sav is overcooked mint and black currant jam from SA as well. Merlot is fruit water that's prized for having no character. Only red wines that are "smooth" are worth drinking.

For a long time the majority of wine drinkers were this bloke, IMO, and the industry grew up around them. Even our generation who have grown up leaning more into wine are stuck with the beliefs of our parents. The best thing a wine can be is big and smooth (meaningless terms). And then when we went into the US market, f**ken Yellowtail and Rosemount were the world beaters and set the tone for our export industry.

I've been out for a long time now obviously, but I guarantee the same reds especially are near the top of the tree once you get out of the base level. Saltram/Pepperjack shiraz, Taylors shiraz, anything Penfolds, Wynns Estate CSM, Grant Burge, Wirra Wirra Church Block, etc etc. There'll be some decent wines in the list, but they're all very old fashioned.

And once you get outside Australia, if you don't think French wine is the benchmark in all cases you're not a true wine snob. Granted it can be in many, but the attachment to the past is so strong. Personally I'd go to a Super Tuscan over most Bourdeaux...

I won't write an essay, although I could lol...but FFS saperavi is still badged as an alternative variety even though it's literally the original red wine as far as written history goes goes. I do have hope thanks to younger drinkers though, because wine is cool again and when things are cool change happens. People actively seek out points of difference because stuffy old fruit jam from Pepperjack is not cool. It's grandads wine, and no one wants that unironically.

Latest posts