What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wladimir Klitschko

Wizardman

First Grade
He finally lost one.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/...ht-boxing-world-champion-20151128-glamvk.html

Tyson Fury is the new heavyweight boxing champion of the world after upsetting Wladimir Klitschko on points in Germany.
The British challenger went the distance with the Ukrainian champion in a fight which did not feature a lot of highlights.
Fury got the nod from all three judges 115-112, 115-112 and 116-111 to claim Klitschko's WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts in Dusseldorf.
Undefeated Fury, who improved his record to 25-0, was never troubled by the 39-year-old Ukrainian who suffered his first loss in 11 years.
Advertisement

"I can't believe it," he said before breaking down in tears. "It's hard to come to foreign countries and get decisions. With the point [docked] off in the last round, I thought I wasn't going to get it, to be honest.
"I came here to Germany in the lion's den to a great, great champion in Wladimir Klitschko and my lord, my saviour, my rock, my foundation, gave me the glory tonight. In the mighty name of Jesus, I thank you.

"This is a dream come true. Me and my uncle Peter here, we've worked so hard for this."
Fury became the first Briton to hold a world heavyweight crown since 2009.
Quick, despite his 2.06 metres, the 27-year-old contender was better from the start, landing left-right combinations with Klitschko, not used to fighting taller men than him, struggling with Fury's reach.
"I worked for six months for this in the gym,," Fury said in his ringside interview while draped in his new world title belts and unable to hold back the tears.
Klitschko managed to get close with a few good left jabs in the second round but Fury landed a powerful right, pushing the Ukrainian back.
Fury, changing between southpaw and orthodox stance, kept chipping away at Klitschko's defences with his combinations and by the eighth round the champion was bleeding from a cheek wound.
Fury, who shed 32 kilos in five months to get in shape for the fight, landed a bruising left uppercut in the ninth that wounded Klitschko's right eye.
Sensing the title slipping away, Klitschko threw everything he had in the final round for a knockout but ended up losing on all three of the judges' scorecards.

Pommy

Coach
He seemed like a shell of his former self. From start to finish he just didn't seem to have a plan on how he was going to beat Fury.
What a breath of fresh air Fury is just his whole manner of not taking himself too seriously is a breath of fresh air in my eyes. Always find it cringe worthy when boxers carry on like they are double hard.

kdalymc

Bench
How can they say champ of world when the WBC title is still available,..
Hopefully a superfight happens with the yank and we see an undesputed champ for the first time in a while.

shiznit

Coach
How can they say champ of world when the WBC title is still available,..
Hopefully a superfight happens with the yank and we see an undesputed champ for the first time in a while.
Because Wilder is f**king rubbish...

Klitschko was considered by all as the true champion.

Wilder has a padded record... And the majority of the boxing world sees right through it.

Most of the pundits are waiting for the 2 wonder kids to come through in Anthony Joshua and Joseph Parker.

Parker's only had 16 fights and already some very astute boxing guys think he would beat Wilder right now if given the shot...

Same with Joshua...

HayneKloppter

Juniors
isn't this the nutter that called out cain valesquez about 2 years ago? :lol: he's got the profile now, so make it happen!! :)

dogz08

First Grade
hayden_wladamir_heigh_diff.jpg

lol

Frankus

Juniors
Because Wilder is f**king rubbish...

Klitschko was considered by all as the true champion.

Wilder has a padded record... And the majority of the boxing world sees right through it.

Most of the pundits are waiting for the 2 wonder kids to come through in Anthony Joshua and Joseph Parker.

Parker's only had 16 fights and already some very astute boxing guys think he would beat Wilder right now if given the shot...

Same with Joshua...

Wilder is one of the worst notable heavyweight title holders since Bruce Seldon with David Haye and Frank Bruno also up there. No finesse, just raw power and he has been propped up by his opponents. The only above average fighter he faced was Bermane Stiverne which he won via UD, mind you he did annihilate him. In saying that I think he would still beat Fury.

Joshua is hardly a kid, he's 26/27 isn't he? Parker is only 22 or 23. However, both will need to start fighting some decent calibre fighters if they want to be considered serious contenders. I'd like to see one or either of them go through Jennings or Povetkin before getting a title shot.

Although I agree Joshua could beat both Fury or Wilder tomorrow if given the opportunity. It won't happen. Fury will duck Wilder for a year or two. He will probably pick a David Haye, Shannon Briggs or Lucas Brown as next opponent. The heavyweight division of today is rubbish, it doesn't even compare to the calibre of fighter from late 80s to late 90s. Even then fighters chose not to face one another.

RoosTah

Juniors
He seemed like a shell of his former self. From start to finish he just didn't seem to have a plan on how he was going to beat Fury.
What a breath of fresh air Fury is just his whole manner of not taking himself too seriously is a breath of fresh air in my eyes. Always find it cringe worthy when boxers carry on like they are double hard.

He may not carry on like they are double hard, but this Fury bloke makes even Mundine's offensive comments over the years seem classy and understated:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/...-an-incitement-to-hatred-20151201-glczck.html

kdalymc

Bench
Well hopefully Wielder vs Fury ASAP for undisputed, and then Parker can have a shot. Or Solamon Haumono...
Need to do something to get the heavyweight division back where it was 20 years ago

Frankus

Juniors
Haumono? No way he deserves a title shot he would have no chance against Lucas Brown, who in my opinion is average and ranked way too high by the WBA.

The Fury v Wilder fight is a pipe dream at this stage.

Parker and Joshua both need to beat someone of note before either deserves a shot too.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Parker and Joshua are still a wee way away from a title fight...

But as I said... They would both beat Wilder 2moro if they were given a chance.

I agree with your assessment of Lucas Brown...

As far as I'm concerned... Parker has already overtaken him... Boxrec agrees... Ranks Parker 9 and Browne at 22.

Frankus

Juniors
Parker and Joshua are still a wee way away from a title fight...

But as I said... They would both beat Wilder 2moro if they were given a chance.

I agree with your assessment of Lucas Brown...

As far as I'm concerned... Parker has already overtaken him... Boxrec agrees... Ranks Parker 9 and Browne at 22.

Yep, Parker deserves to be ranked above Brown.

I've seen Fury fight half a dozen times, same with Wilder. Wilder is so unorthodox and awkward it makes him a difficult one to judge. Cannot deny his punching power though, he has only had 1 fight go the distance and he put the guy in intensive care.

I think both Parker and Joshua would have a tougher time with Wilder than they would Fury. Thats just my opinion of course. I think Fury is over-rated and beat an aging Klitschko who had nothing left to prove. Granted, I didn't see the fight due to work but I am sure it was a typical Klitschko fight, boring as batshit with few exciting exchanges.

I assume there will be a rematch unless Klitschko decides to hang up the gloves.

abpanther

Staff member
Fury stripped of IBF belt for not fighting mandatory challenger, instead he will cash on a rematch with Klitschko

Latest posts