What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2017 Kiwis news

JohnDoe

Juniors
Does anyone know if Junior Paulo was approached? There was an article that came out about a month or so ago, where he was asked about playing for the Kiwis. He said he wasn't sure what he would do if he was approached by the Kiwis. Makes me wonder if the NZRL have ever actually approached him about playing for the Kiwis.

I wouldn't worry about both Norman or Paulo playing for the Kiwis. They are bigger enough to make decisions themselves. If they wanted the Black Jersey they would of pressed for it. I hate this chasing down players to commit to the Kiwi Jersey. I want players to make an effort and approach the Kiwis with respect. Merkins like Taumalolo, Lolohea, Fusitua, Takiasshole etc. In my eyes are all ruled out of representing our prestige jersey that has been given the bad treatment recently. This has to stop!!

Kiwis 4 Ever

Last edited:

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Is anyone here actually hyped for the World Cup?

I find it strange, being what - 2 weeks away and I currently couldn't give a toss about the whole thing.
End of year blues with the disappointment of First Grade, followed by the joke that is the international eligibility rules. I'm left pondering to myself, do I actually care what happens?

Not looking forward to this one bit

Possibly when it kicks off, I may come around to it but I just havn't warmed upto it yet.

Anyone else feeling the blues over it?

Cold Roses

Juniors
Is anyone here actually hyped for the World Cup?

Feeling pretty disheartened at the moment. I've always been pretty up front that the National team is my priority above the Warriors. It was a pretty long haul for me from basically the mid 80's through to 2005 when we started to show some success. Long years of seeming like we would never get on par with the Australians. A lot of false starts, but never following through. But I was always optimistic. Maybe naively, but y'know, when you're a fan...! When we had the success we did in 2014/2015 it really did feel like the tide had turned and we might start to compete on a more consistent basis. Then Kearney took the Warriors job. And we got Kidwell. You all know the rest. It may come as a surprise to some, given that in the Warriors threads I'm one of the few saying that Kearney can't be judged just yet, but I wasn't a big fan of his as Kiwis coach through to the 2013 World Cup. Some of his selections in that Tournament, and the resulting debacle had me convinced that he had no idea. But within the space of a short turnaround until the Anzac test the next year, he managed to instill some pride in the playing group, and drew a line in the sand. He demanded a better culture from the players, and got the success he deserved that and the following year. Now it feels like all of that has been undone and we are back to square one. A wasted opportunity to consolidate our success.

I'll be watching all of the games. And hoping that we win through to the final at least. But my optimism has gone missing for the first time that I can remember. Part of it has to do with the Warriors lack of success as well, but mostly it feels like the NZRL just isn't up to it. A clean sweep through the selection panel and Management team would be a good start. But I think it would be easier to get Kim Jong out of power in N Korea than it would be to convince guys like Nikau that they aren't necessarily the be and end all of Rugby League in NZ.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
...I'm one of the few saying that Kearney can't be judged just yet...
Yeah I too think its too early to judge Kearney but what WE ARE seeing is absolutely poor and so the criticisms are for obvious reasons. However, Kearney did say right from the start it was going to be a lengthy process. Three years I think I heard. What you say from the outset matters IMO, for example, Kidwells first game as kiwis coach, he said he 'wanted to make an immediate impact!' lol. I knew back then about to have an egg on his face as there was no impact whatsoever.

I just wanted to know if you saw the documentary about the '08 RLWC. It showed that Bennett was the real driving force behind that campaign. In the halftime of that final, that sheds camera showed Bennett giving the speech to the kiwis and Bennett did a lot more throughout that tournament. I wouldnt give Kearney 'full credit' as rugby players use to say, to Kearney.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Yeah I too think its too early to judge Kearney but what WE ARE seeing is absolutely poor and so the criticisms are for obvious reasons. However, Kearney did say right from the start it was going to be a lengthy process. Three years I think I heard. What you say from the outset matters IMO, for example, Kidwells first game as kiwis coach, he said he 'wanted to make an immediate impact!' lol. I knew back then about to have an egg on his face as there was no impact whatsoever.

I just wanted to know if you saw the documentary about the '08 RLWC. It showed that Bennett was the real driving force behind that campaign. In the halftime of that final, that sheds camera showed Bennett giving the speech to the kiwis and Bennett did a lot more throughout that tournament. I wouldnt give Kearney 'full credit' as rugby players use to say, to Kearney.

Haven't seen the documentary. Hasn't screened anywhere is Aus as yet. I remember the night in question like it was yesterday though. Edge of my seat for the last 10 minutes when it seemed like we might actually do it. The diluge of text messages I got at full time from people back in NZ that knew how much it would mean to me was amazing. It's still one of the best nights of my life. It was only 2 months ago that the recorded version of it I had on my Foxtel IQ box stopped playing. After 9 years. I've kept it the whole time.

As far as Kearneys role in it, I have no doubt that Bennett played a big part. As I said in my post though, where Kearney deserves complete Kudos, is in turning things around after the disaster that was the 2013 World Cup. Prior to that I wasn't actually a fan of his as National Coach. But what he did to bring that team together in 2014/2015 deserves the utmost respect. I'd like to think that Kidwell is treading a similar path, and can rectify his mistakes, and in a shorter space of time ( during this World Cup would be pretty timely) but my optimism isn't there again just yet. All the progress we had made under SK is gone now, and I don't know that Kidwell is the man to regain the lost ground.

I'd love to wrong.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Yes, I agree re 2013...he swept the broom through & managed the Kiwis to their most successful period so far. He learnt from Bennett no doubt in 2008 (and under him at the broncos since) but as much as some would like to, you can't take that period away from Kearney. Was gutted really that he moved to the Warriors or I think we'd be seeing a reasonably sustained successful period from the Kiwis...hell, even the ozzies sat up and started taking international rugby seriously, appointed a full time coach, started promoting the hell out the Kangaroos. Unfortunately they still have more depth than us and probably always will.
I see Kearney doing a similar clean-out and replacement at the Warriors (get rid of the attitudes and bring in strength of character) & hope for success there too.
Hopefully Kidwell has learned from his god-awful England tour & has the wherewithal to go to the next level...time will tell. I think the thing I like about this Kiwis World Cup squad is the promotion of young blood - they may not have the experience but this is how they'll get it and I hope they surprise us all.
Go the Kiwis!

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hopefully Kidwell has learned from his god-awful England tour...
Go the Kiwis!
The 'key is we' motto that Kidwell has recently tried to impress us with, is very laughable but I do like that he is trying to create a solid unit. Something that was clearly a problem with the handling of Jesse Bromwichs pathetic cocaine episode. I think Kidwells learning thick and fast but the kiwis isn't some sort of experiment and the team only deserves the best. Kidwell cant be the best coach NZ has to offer and if he is then we need to look elsewhere.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think Brian Smith will make a big difference being involved in the set up

I'm looking forward to the Cup, even more so now after what has gone on

Don't think we can win it, didn't think that in 08 either though

Personally think the task is harder than ever now. Bit of chat about the period post 2013 World Cup, personally I felt that Australias standards dropped and they had the attitude to just try and do as much as they needed to get the result. From the time Meninga got them they have gone back to being a ruthless unit that is closer to their best every match

Haven't seen the documentary. Hasn't screened anywhere is Aus as yet. I remember the night in question like it was yesterday though. Edge of my seat for the last 10 minutes when it seemed like we might actually do it. The diluge of text messages I got at full time from people back in NZ that knew how much it would mean to me was amazing. It's still one of the best nights of my life. It was only 2 months ago that the recorded version of it I had on my Foxtel IQ box stopped playing. After 9 years. I've kept it the whole time.

As far as Kearneys role in it, I have no doubt that Bennett played a big part. As I said in my post though, where Kearney deserves complete Kudos, is in turning things around after the disaster that was the 2013 World Cup. Prior to that I wasn't actually a fan of his as National Coach. But what he did to bring that team together in 2014/2015 deserves the utmost respect. I'd like to think that Kidwell is treading a similar path, and can rectify his mistakes, and in a shorter space of time ( during this World Cup would be pretty timely) but my optimism isn't there again just yet. All the progress we had made under SK is gone now, and I don't know that Kidwell is the man to regain the lost ground.

I'd love to wrong.
How awesome was the national anthem singer!
Haka was great and the win unbelievable.
Gus comments about origin blowing up in his face.
Will have to watch it again tomorrow on DVD.

I’m pumped, love rugby league and will have the tv on for every game of it.

Glad I won’t have to many early morning starts. :)

Imagine a Tonga v England final!

Would love to see anyone in finals except Aussies! :) but it isn’t going to happen unless Smith and Cronk go down.

The 'key is we' motto that Kidwell has recently tried to impress us with, is very laughable but I do like that he is trying to create a solid unit. Something that was clearly a problem with the handling of Jesse Bromwichs pathetic cocaine episode. I think Kidwells learning thick and fast but the kiwis isn't some sort of experiment and the team only deserves the best. Kidwell cant be the best coach NZ has to offer and if he is then we need to look elsewhere.
Agree that best coach should be appointed, no matter citizenship or place of birth. Hopefully if we are smashed in World Cup the review will change this rule, but require a X-Kiwi player on the coaching staff.
Then we would be serious.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Imagine a Tonga v England final!

Would love to see anyone in finals except Aussies! :) but it isn’t going to happen unless Smith and Cronk go down.
It's funny how - if England beat Australia in the semis, it would labelled a huge upset because of its rarity. But yet, many know that England is very capable of doing so.

So many Tongan league players have long helped so many other league teams BUT Tongas league team. They now have a team that others, including myself, are excited about. I am expecting the players to realise that this maybe Tongas only ever real shot at a RLWC, and at least make the semis.

I'd love a Tonga and England final but I do wonder about the influence it may have on the young Tongan players we have here in NZ.

2008 Highlights, first half.
Great offloads by Blair.
Marshall stuffed a sitter of a try, from Fein grubbers kick thru.
Marshall failing to find touch on a penalty.
Aussie scores(Lockyer) in 13th min,
Marshall slipped and missed Billy.
Aussie scores (Williams/Wolfman) in 17th min, Billy created numbers and Manu inside his winger.
Kickoff goes out on full from kick off.
Aussie no try (Lockyer) 19th min dropped it.
Kiwis score (J Smith)25th min after 2 drop outs, forwards ran in a pack!
Lance knocks on kick off in goal.
Kiwis score (Ropati) 28th min Laffranchi strip's ball in Marshall tackle, Faalogo picks up, and Ropati scores. First time in front.
Marshall knocks on inside 20m.
Aussie scores (Lockyer) 35th min, lots of offloads.
16-12

Second half.
Fitzgibbon knocks on inside 10m on 2nd tackle from kickoff.
Manu, no try, knee out, bounces ball over the line, but corner post still considered out.
Watmough gives away a penalty not square or 10m.
Civonceva charge down in 20m gathered by Hohaia.
Smith penalised for hand on ball (before he became untouchable apparently)
Kiwis score (Hohaia) 49th min
Goes between Lockyer and Civonceva at the line and overtop of Slater. Back in front with Luke converting.
50th minute Gus mentions SOO hardening and experience.
Williams taken out inside 30m.
Blair penalised inside the 10.
56min Gus says Kiwis hit a wall.
Hohaia caught in goal.
Gus call Kiwis out on feet.
Hohaia hold Folau up over line in one on one.
Aussie penalised for pushing Perrott back in goal when held.
60th minute greatest Billy Slater speculator moment, heading out 15m out under pressure from Manu and thru ball over head for Marshall to pick up and score. First conversion missed, up by 6.
Strip on Watmough by Leuleui.
Aussie scores (Inglis) in the corner.
Kiwis huddle behind the post.
Thursdan misses conversion.
Penalty Aussie inside the 10m.
Monaghan takes out Hohaia in scoring action, PENALTY TRY 71st minute.
J Smith ankle taps Thursdan who made a break and was away and loses ball.
Harrison loses it in tackle, with Monaghans help.
73min Gus names all the stars to get them the win.
Williams passes when near the touch line on 30m to J Smith.
Blair score off a Marshall bomb, Manu knock back, Williams kick into Faalogo, kicked into Williams into Smith back into Williams for Blair to pick up and score, 76th min.
78th min J Smith penalised in tackle.
Slater throws ball into touch.

Final score: 20-34

Last edited:
Dont want to dwell on 2008 to much, but we had a simple plan, kick to corners, forwards going up in 2s and 3s, halves standings 3 wide of ruck and a single pass to them, creating numbers.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Got my tickets for the game next saturday, it appears about 12-14,000 have been pre sold over a week out from the game.

I struggled to find motivation for this RLWC based on the Kiwis recent performances and the Warriors. And lets not kid ourselves, like the Storm in the NRL, Aussie pretty much have both hands on the Cup already - i suppose no real difference to the All Blacks heading in to a RWC.

But then this whole drama with Tonga has given me a new found interest. The fact the Kiwis will have two tough Test Matches (Should smash the weaken Scotland team) has made me change my mind and i will now drive up from Palmy to watch the Samoa game when i only planned on going to the Quarter Final in Wellys.

Latest posts