What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup classic memories/moments

abpanther

Staff member
The World Cup is less than 2 months away, figured it would be cool to have a thread with old World Cup memories and moents that you remember fondly.

I'll start with this one, I remember cheering hard for Roger Milla and the Cameroon side on their fairytale run in the 1990 World Cup, such a shame they got bundled out in the Quarter Finals after some dubious penalty decisions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3o6cnjy5k

Obviously 2006 Australia, that goes without saying.

Croatia 1998 was something special, they were awesome

[youtube]z4dl1uVM41Y[/youtube]

Best goal of France 98 with epic radio commentary

[youtube]azUgsIkBGYc[/youtube]

The best game of France 98

[youtube]frgN1MFyRFY[/youtube]

Also

Germany shitting on England and Argentina in 2010
Germany eliminating England on penalties
Portugal eliminating England on penalties
Argentina eliminating England on penalties

Argentina were in control IIRC when Ortega head butt Van Der Sar. Netherlands were already down to 10 men too. Stupid moment of madness that cost Argentina IMO

This should make you happy though, what an awesome goal. Caught everybody by surprise. There were some really, really good teams at France 98

[youtube]pt18qVBKYQE[/youtube]

How good was the control, the turn and the shot. Magnificent.

abpanther

Staff member
Man watching that Brazil v Netherlands video, Ronaldo was awesome to watch in his prime, he had it all, speed, strength and amazing footwork

abpanther

Staff member
Yeah I remember that Zanetti goal, man we've had some tough games against England in recent World Cups, Roa was the hero on that day.

The one thing I remember from that game was how overboard the commentator went when Owen scored that goal, f**k me it was like he had won the World Cup

How about this travesty of a decision ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KeFOdpRPY

awesome thread. I could go on for days. Obviously, as others said, the Socceroos moments rank 1-however many there are.

THE AMAZING
*Baggio's turnaround of form at USA 94, awful in the group stage and then with 5 mins to go in the 2nd round, a goal down with 10 men, Baggio turns it on and leads Italy to the final. His first 30 mins against Bulgaria were incredible.

*The great goals: (only mentioning the ones I saw live) Cambiasso vs Serbia 2006, Owarain vs Belgium 1994, Bergkamp vs Argentina 1998.

*Germany vs Italy 2006, what a game.

*Brazil vs Netherlands in any world cup, special mention to 1994 quarter final which was a great game.

THE GREAT

*Argentina in the group stages of any tournament.

*Beckham's free kick against Colombia and Owen's goal against Argentina.

*Martin Dahlin & Tomas Brolin at USA 94, went downhill after that though.

*The cinderella stories: Bulgaria, Sweden & Romania at USA 94, Cameroon at Italia 90, Croatia at France 98, Turkey, USA & Senegal in 2002, Ukraine in 2006 and Uruguay and Ghana in 2010.

THE BAD

*Korea pretty much being handed a semi final spot in 2002. Definitely something fishy there.

*The big teams failing to turn up in 2002. France, Argentina, Italy, Portugal were the 4 favourites going in and all were out by round 2.

*Baggio's miss in 1994, still makes me upset that a legend like that is remembered for that moment.

*France in South Africa, wtf was with that?

*Portugal vs Netherlands 2006. Did any players remain on the pitch?

*The great Maradona going out the way he did.

THE UGLY

*Andreas Escobar. RIP

Mong

Post Whore
Espn are showing games everyday, fox from time to time. Plenty of great memories on show.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
2006 Quarter final, Portugal v England.

I was at the Portuguese Club in Wollongong and the place went nuts when we won the penalty shootout. I'll never forget that day.

ronaldo_wink.jpg

Latest posts