What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup

Frank Facer

First Grade
The biggest sporting event in the world is currently on. I thought we should have a World Cup thread, where people can voice their thoughts on it. I haven't been following soccer much over the last few years, so I am keen to get some views and opinions on this year's World Cup.

Who do you think will win and why?

Does Brazil have a really good team and are they deserved favourites.

I read that Belgium apparently have a good side this year.

France apparently have a good side this year.

Are Spain genuine chances this year? I backed them when whey won it 8 years ago.

Germany usually go well in world cups.

England usually don't go well in world cups.

Who will be player of the tournament?

Who will be the leading goal scorer?

We can even discuss Australia's chances. lol At least we are there.

Who is better Messi or Ronaldo? Can either spearhead their countries to world cup glory?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
England are normally too divided to play as a team, hence the reason their is little cohesion.

The Spain & Portugal match was a classic for player skill.

The Aussies will either catch the French off guard or get toasted.

Hope Cahill get to play and score a goal, thus becoming only the fifth every player to play and score in 4 WorldCups.

Footnote- l’ve been following the English football since 1971, not to mention being a long suffering Queens Park Rangers fan .......reading Shoot magazines and watching Brian Moore on The Big Match. Nowadays, it’s MailOnline Football and the BBC Football sites for the daily sports news.

No clear winner at present but hope the refs don’t rig the results.

Crush

Coach
I find soccer incredibly boring to watch.
Fun to play and love my kids playing soccer on weekends as I did as a kid but I can't handle all the diving and lack of scoring tbh.
Thats just me though. I totally respect that its the biggest sport in the world and hope all the fans enjoy the world cup.

MilanDragon

Juniors
England are normally too divided to play as a team, hence the reason their is little cohesion.

Hope Cahill get to play and score a goal, thus becoming only the fifth every player to play and score in 4 WorldCups.

Footnote- l’ve been following the English football since 1971, not to mention being a long suffering Queens Park Rangers fan .......reading Shoot magazines and watching Brian Moore on The Big Match. Nowadays, it’s MailOnline Football and the BBC Football sites for the daily sports news.

Mate try being a Leeds fan. Life has been tough for a while!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
We did. It’s the most exciting thing that’s happened to the club since the playoff game about 8 years ago.

Although we seem to get a new manager every few months anyway haha. It’s just Biesla has more credibility than any we’ve had in the last 40 years

David O’Leary really did a number on Leeds. It’s taken a very long time to move on from then. Hopefully, they can make a charge this next season, along with QPR.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade

Spain are usually divided into the Barcelona and Real Madrid camps.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I find soccer incredibly boring to watch.
Fun to play and love my kids playing soccer on weekends as I did as a kid but I can't handle all the diving and lack of scoring tbh.
Thats just me though. I totally respect that its the biggest sport in the world and hope all the fans enjoy the world cup.
I never played soccer as a kid or youth, but I started playing indoor soccer about 13 years ago for about 3 years. We were getting flogged every game at first and most players dropped out. A mate and myself kept playing and the guy who ran the centre got us a couple of decent players. Next thing we were matching it with the best. My mate and I weren't good players, but we both had a very strong will to win (that is putting it mildly). I got another team together to play twice a week. At first that team was getting beat convincingly every game. One of our players had a run in with the guy who ran the centre and got told not to come back. The guy who ran the centre then got us a new player. From then on we went on a massive winning streak and made the grand final, getting beat in extra time. We then went onto make the next 2 grand finals getting beat by one point on each occasions. I loved playing indoor soccer. I played League, indoor cricket and a bit of outdoor cricket as a kid and youth. I was playing indoor cricket and touch footy at the same time I was playing indoor soccer and liked indoor soccer more. You were constantly in the game. I like playing most sports.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Im an arsenal fan which has been pretty tough in recent years. Played it growing up and still love watching it but not all games. Im thinking it will be a germany vs brazil final with germany to win it 2-1. Might have to put some money on that now i've said it.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Mate try being a Leeds fan. Life has been tough for a while!
Leeds used to be a very good side many years ago. I remember seeing a movie about them and a manager they had named Brian Cloth. They also went alright when they had Harry Kewel and Mark Viduka playing for them.

I am a Liverpool fan, but haven't followed them properly for a few years now. If I was rich enough already I would buy Liverpool and build them an 80 000 plus seat stadium.

You will never walk alone.

South Sydney's club song, Glory Glory to South Sydney, is taken from Man United, which is Glory Glory to United. Most Souths fans wouldn't even know that.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Leeds used to be a very good side many years ago. I remember seeing a movie about them and a manager they had named Brian Cloth. They also went alright when they had Harry Kewel and Mark Viduka playing for them.

I am a Liverpool fan, but haven't followed them properly for a few years now. If I was rich enough already I would buy Liverpool and build them an 80 000 plus seat stadium.

You will never walk alone.

South Sydney's club song, Glory Glory to South Sydney, is taken from Man United, which is Glory Glory to United. Most Souths fans wouldn't even know that.

The movie was called ‘the damned United’

I ended up a leeds supporter because of kewell and viduka playing there when I was growing up.

Bench
I like watching the English soccer, I follow Crystal Palace because that was the name of the snooker hall I used to frequent.
I don’t think we will beat France, but just getting into the World Cup is an achievement in itself.