What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Try In The History Of Origin

docbrown

Coach
Well this thread has been good for a laugh. The following is what QLD supporters have convinced themselves of –

Greg Inglis recovered the ball after the knock back from Slater, he tried to ground the ball at which stage Farah viciously and deliberately kicked it out of his hands. Despite his hands being in an outstretched motion, it was at this exact point that his intent to play at the ball vanished as his brain shut down all non vital functions.

There's a medical condition for this. It's called "Queenslander Syndrome".

AceAv

Juniors
Looks like you all need another dose of:

Hey NSW Guess What?
BILL HARRIGAN: -The guy who's dedicated his entire career to the rules of NRL says:"Greg Ingis had possession of the ball and was trying to ground the ball. Robbie Farah, in desperation to prevent the try, changed his running gait and threw his leg out. In doing so, he dislodged the ball, so therefore it is deemed that he played at the ball. The ball is still live. TRY" -But please, keep believing it was a bad call, write a letter to him, cry yourselves to sleep. But we're going to believe the best Referee in the history of NRL over you're shitty arguments now.

Meanie

Juniors
Queenslanders have spent the past 2 days trying to justify the worst try in the history of origin.

Lame. :lol:

And NSW fan's and NSW themselves have spent the last 2 days bitching.

QLD were on the receiving end of a similarly ridiculous bunch of calls in Origin 3 2006. Their reaction? WIN THE BLOODY GAME!

betcats

Referee

Hey NSW Guess What?

BILL HARRIGAN: -The guy who's dedicated his entire career to the rules of NRL says:"Greg Ingis had possession of the ball and was trying to ground the ball. Robbie Farah, in desperation to prevent the try, changed his running gait and threw his leg out. In doing so, he dislodged the ball, so therefore it is deemed that he played at the ball. The ball is still live. TRY" -But please, keep believing it was a bad call, write a letter to him, cry yourselves to sleep. But we're going to believe the best Referee in the history of NRL over you're shitty arguments now.

He also said Matt Scott should of been sent off and that the greg bird penalty wasnt a penalty. There are two game changing f**k ups that QLD benefitted from.

snickers007

Juniors
And they would all blow up if they saw that awarded a try in any local rugby leeague game.

I understand how the rule is applied. And from no one if the ball is ever dislodged legally from my grasp in a local game I will complain until they check the f**king video slow it down to prove that in a 1000th of a second I did not play at it when it came off my arm. :roll:

Rugby league was not meant to be refereed in that way. It's an absolute joke. You say we don't understand the rules, well on every f**king game on earth between the try lines that would be a straight up knock on called by the ref with no f**king complaints.

All of the above is absolutely correct - no question.

However, rather than everyone continuing to bitch about it, or rather than this kind of decision becoming common place, there are a couple of simple solutions which would ensure that it doesn't happen again:

Option 1
Remove the Video Referee completely from the game.

Option 2
Keep the Video Referee but remove the option to use slow motion replays. Additionally, you could limit the number of times they watch each shot.

Note: With both these solutions, you would need to ban clubs and media from using slow motion replays to pick referees performance apart.

The consequence of these options is simple:
- referees are empowered, they would not be afraid to make a decision, because no one would be slowing every decision down.
- common sense would be used, as they would be relying on their gut instinct - rather than looking for a technical breach.
- mistakes made by the referee would be easier for the fans to accept, as they are only getting one look at it (at full speed).
- consistency between the decisions made in general play and the in goal

Unfortunately, the likelihood of this occurring is less than 0%.

And for the record - I actually agree with the decision that was given. ONLY because that is the only decision that could have been made, given the video referee system that they have in place.

Without the video referee slowing down the shot, I have zero doubt that the on field referees would have said No Try.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
25 pages and counting...all over 1 try LOL. Was there at the game great tension and try looked sus until the "Great Video Ref" took command! Loved it - what a moment! Etihad erupted!!!:crazy: The Blues would have claimed it at their end. Way the ball bounces. Get over it, bring on Game 2. :)

Rod

Bench

Hey NSW Guess What?

Did it ever cross your mind that Harrigan made up that dribble of an explanation in an attempt to save face for his inept referees whom he is in charge of? Trent Barrett is adamant that Harrigan originally told him the try shouldn't have been awarded, why would he lie? Did you mindlessly believe the guy who's 'dedicated his entire career to the rules of the NRL' when he came up with what many consider one of the worst howlers in recent years, the decision to give Gasnier a try after he clearly dropped it a couple of years go?

We know what Harrigan said, we can read. It doesn't mean we have to agree with him. See I can type in big text too.

Valheru

Coach
He also said Matt Scott should of been sent off and that the greg bird penalty wasnt a penalty. There are two game changing f**k ups that QLD benefitted from.

Exactly right

QLD try 1 off the back of the Jennings Sin Bin when Matt Scott should also have been sin binned

QLD try 2 off the back of the ridiculous penalty against Bird

QLD try 3 – the worst decision in the history of origin.

Can QLD score any points fairly?

Springs

First Grade
All of the above is absolutely correct - no question.

However, rather than everyone continuing to bitch about it, or rather than this kind of decision becoming common place, there are a couple of simple solutions which would ensure that it doesn't happen again:

Option 1
Remove the Video Referee completely from the game.

Option 2
Keep the Video Referee but remove the option to use slow motion replays. Additionally, you could limit the number of times they watch each shot.

Note: With both these solutions, you would need to ban clubs and media from using slow motion replays to pick referees performance apart.

The consequence of these options is simple:
- referees are empowered, they would not be afraid to make a decision, because no one would be slowing every decision down.
- common sense would be used, as they would be relying on their gut instinct - rather than looking for a technical breach.
- mistakes made by the referee would be easier for the fans to accept, as they are only getting one look at it (at full speed).
- consistency between the decisions made in general play and the in goal

Unfortunately, the likelihood of this occurring is less than 0%.

And for the record - I actually agree with the decision that was given. ONLY because that is the only decision that could have been made, given the video referee system that they have in place.

Without the video referee slowing down the shot, I have zero doubt that the on field referees would have said No Try.

I wouldn't mind either of those options.

However, I can't imagine one referee seeing the game in real time making as many mistakes as the video referee has made in it's history. Watching the same replay for 5 minutes, slowing the game down (which is actually changing the fabric of the game) and pissing everyone off...then still making several howlers.
One ref wouldn't cause so much controversy, let alone two refs, two touchies and possibly two in goal touchies. Mistakes can be put down to human error, heat of the moment stuff, without any of this spluit second, intent or no intent, guessing the player's mind shit.

If Inglis's try was ruled with no video then the ref says knock on straight out to the 20. If Karl or some idiot wants to slow the frame down so much and come up with a bullshit explanation about intent, not playing at it, rebounds, reaction time or whatever they can.

bronco_buddy

Juniors
Game 1 2000, Bill Harrigan the ref, misses two knock-ons in the lead up to a game changing try to NSW (and sends Tallis off, straight after),
Game 2 2001, the Jason Moodie try after Barret knocks the ball on in making a tackle on the Qld player,
Game 3 2006, Eric Grothe scores after Hodgson clearly knocks on after attempting to catch a bomb. (the last two were video ref decisions aswell)

About time we got one back

If it was NSW who was in the same situation I would have accepted the decision, because I have confidence in my Team to not give up and get back in front.

Don't blame the video ref for losing, blame the Jennings brain snap and Bird's ability to give away penalties oh and the selectors for picking a team that was supposed to be able to score points but could only get accross the line from two fumbled kicks

Hutty1986

Immortal
Game 1 2000, Bill Harrigan the ref, misses two knock-ons in the lead up to a game changing try to NSW (and sends Tallis off, straight after),
Game 2 2001, the Jason Moodie try after Barret knocks the ball on in making a tackle on the Qld player,
Game 3 2006, Eric Grothe scores after Hodgson clearly knocks on after attempting to catch a bomb. (the last two were video ref decisions aswell)

If it was NSW who was in the same situation I would have accepted the decision, because I have confidence in my Team to not give up and get back in front.

Don't blame the video ref for losing, blame the Jennings brain snap and Bird's ability to give away penalties oh and the selectors for picking a team that was supposed to be able to score points but could only get accross the line from two fumbled kicks

Yes, because scoring two tries in 6 minutes is ever-so common in Origin.

And :lol:mad:claiming Bird's tackle was a penalty

ANTiLAG

First Grade
322669.jpg

bronco_buddy

Juniors

And :lol:mad:claiming Bird's tackle was a penalty

10 years ago the bird tackle was legal it aint now...........
and Game 3 2006 Qld :D Tate 71st minute & Lockyer 74th minute Nuff Said!!

Eels Dude

Coach
Well this thread has been good for a laugh. The following is what QLD supporters have convinced themselves of –

Greg Inglis recovered the ball after the knock back from Slater, he tried to ground the ball at which stage Farah viciously and deliberately kicked it out of his hands. Despite his hands being in an outstretched motion, it was at this exact point that his intent to play at the ball vanished as his brain shut down all non vital functions. The ball then “rebounds” on to his forearm at which stage his brain has rebooted and his intent to score a try returns.

DERP!!!!

Referees make special allowances for players that don't think planes fly when it's raining perhaps.

betcats

Referee

So we shouldnt blame the ref for giving away bullshit penalties that lead directly to tries but you blame the refs for missing knock ons in the lead up to a try, from twelve years ago...lol makes sense.

Meanie

Juniors
So we shouldnt blame the ref for giving away bullshit penalties that lead directly to tries but you blame the refs for missing knock ons in the lead up to a try, from twelve years ago...lol makes sense.

What it means is shit happens, move on.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

Actually it happens quite a bit.

NSW scored two tries in 4 minutes in Game 1 last year and 3 tries in the space of 9 minutes in Game 1 2005. They had plenty of time to level up on Wednesday night, but they just weren't good enough.

Latest posts