What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would "Tri-Regions" work?

Nugby

Juniors
Was just thinking while reading a bunch of arguments about Great Britain, why don't we have Australasian (us, PNG, Fiji depending where they are, forgive me geography) v Great Britain (the four or any European players) v Pacific Islands (NZ, Samoa, Tonga etc).

It would give us a real "best of the best series" and the best players from each region wouldn't be forced to play for their dominant country (ruling them out of say, representing Samoa, Scotland, Fiji etc but still playing in the big games and getting match payments). I could see it having a positive impact on the second tier nations while still being an entertainment feast for the crowds.

marv

Juniors
Personally I dont like the idea, but instead of GB I would say Europe would be better, cant see the likes of Jamel Fakir and Thomas Bosc wanting to play for GB!

Nuke

Staff member
The Australasian team would be full of Australian players and no others. 1-17 + standby players + coach & coaching staff.

It's a nice idea, but I personally can't see any PNG or Fiji players making the squad so long as Aussie players are also available.

smacky

Juniors
There should be 2 comps during the tri nations, the usual australia, nz and england and another comp with australia a, pacfic islands (tonga, samoa,fiji, png,), combined european team (france, ireland, scotland, wales)

bender

Juniors
The Australasian team would be full of Australian players and no others. 1-17 + standby players + coach & coaching staff.

It's a nice idea, but I personally can't see any PNG or Fiji players making the squad so long as Aussie players are also available.

I am not a huge fan of the idea either, but if it is to work, there could be no more than say 6 players from any single country. That could be something which would greatly help the minor countries because:

1. Players would be encouraged to represent them since it would be in their financial interests (easier to make the rep team and get paid the bonus monies).
2. There would be the chance for some players from lesser nations to obtain selection and raise their level and experience by playing with such a high caliber of players (which in turn would be passed on to the other players in that nation)
3. Profits could be shared by the minor nations and not just the big 3.

While probably not the answer, it is certainly worth some thought.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I am not a huge fan of the idea either, but if it is to work, there could be no more than say 6 players from any single country. That could be something which would greatly help the minor countries because:

1. Players would be encouraged to represent them since it would be in their financial interests (easier to make the rep team and get paid the bonus monies).
2. There would be the chance for some players from lesser nations to obtain selection and raise their level and experience by playing with such a high caliber of players (which in turn would be passed on to the other players in that nation)
3. Profits could be shared by the minor nations and not just the big 3.

While probably not the answer, it is certainly worth some thought.

tbh that doesnt sound like too bad of an idea

brendothejet

First Grade
I think the idea of combined sides stinks. Whether it is GB & I, pacific islands or Earth.

This world cup has shown that countries can stand on their own two feet. It has given national sides and leagues their own identity and i think we would be fools to waste the momentum by packaging them all up..

azzah72

Bench
You could do like a qualifier set up, i would mean the tri-nation could be different every time.

Europe qualifier, winner in the tri nations

Pacific island, winner in the tri nations

Aus/NZ, winner in the tri nations

one year it could be England/Australia/PNG

Next it would be Ireland/Fiji/NZ

Although i would change it to that England/Autralia/NZ are in 3 different groups. Not sure what the groups would be. but it could work that way.

Make it like cricket where the tests are different each year, makes it slightly more interesting if you haven't seen one of the teams in a while.