What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you Pay Talagi $600k a Season

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I suppose it comes down to roles and when ready

If he will be a serious player at centre he will be worth $700k pa before we know it.

if a serious 5/8 then he maybe $800k pa plus before we know it.

If we rate him highly and he could play centre or a play making role in 2025 onwards then maybe the following would be what the market might pay?

2025 - centre? @ $500k

2026 - 5/8 @ $600k

2027 - 5/8 @ $750k

2028 - 5/8 @ $850k

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting thing with Tamale is that he hails from Manly way. Manly have just signed Schoupp and have Paulo, Saab, Garrick, Vaega, Talau. Koula and even BenT, who all can/do play wing/centre.

I don't see where Tamale fits in there.

Roosters- maybe
Eels - maybe, but who would go there atm.

Talagi and Tamale, sound poetic to me. Let's hope we're signing the right tune.

CozDragon

Juniors
Has Sloan, Talagi?- if we apply that criterion alone, we- and quite a few other clubs, might be struggling to field a backline
He is struggling defensively in KOE cup, bit much to compare that to Sloan who has shown a big improvement in his defence in first grade & Talagi who has played a total of 5 games with 3 of those games being pretty damn impressive.
It's all well and good to want to see promising players promoted to first grade but do it before they are actually ready and we may never see them again.
It's a balancing act that Flanno needs to get right.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
He is struggling defensively in KOE cup, bit much to compare that to Sloan who has shown a big improvement in his defence in first grade & Talagi who has played a total of 5 games with 3 of those games being pretty damn impressive.
It's all well and good to want to see promising players promoted to first grade but do it before they are actually ready and we may never see them again.
It's a balancing act that Flanno needs to get right.
Talagi was little more than a turnstile against the Storm playing full-back. To say Sloan has shown a "big" improvement in defence , I would consider a generous assessment- and I like Sloan and am willing him to succeed.

CozDragon

Juniors
Talagi was little more than a turnstile against the Storm playing full-back. To say Sloan has shown a "big" improvement in defence , I would consider a generous assessment- and I like Sloan and am willing him to succeed.
While he obviously still has room for plenty of growth, I would say his willingness to at least put his body in front of them now and actually attempt to catch the ball off of bombs (mostly) is a big improvement on what he was showing last year.
Also regarding Tamale (who i really hope kicks on and becomes a superstar because I think he has huge potential) his defense has been pretty poor at both centre & wing in KOE fairly consistently. What happens if he is promoted to first grade and has multiple games where he is found out defensively and then we are all calling for his head, he gets dropped and there goes any confidence he had. Don't forget this is his first year playing league against men, in fact I don't even know how much league he played if any prior to playing union. As long as he is patient he will get his chance.

TheRev

First Grade
Sloan has 3yrs in first grade now and is still 'learning the basics', Talagi is already surpassed him in almost every area of football in just a handful of NRL games.. only 2 of which were at fullback.

Even if we get the deal done (which may not get across the line).... he has another 9 months of development before 2025, hopefully some more of that will be at parra while Gutho is out.

But.. if he does come.. and it is fullback he ends up, im sure we will get a decent fullback coach to teach him the subtle skills... such as closing the gap on a 1on1 breakaway (I definitely noticed he didnt nail that yesterday).. and not over-running in defence due to over-enthusiasm.. plus I have no idea if he has any ability to organise a defensive line.. this stuff needs some work.. but the raw product is already very f***ing good... but he might not even be playing fullback yet... thats just where I'd play him, but we dont know yet who is even in our Top 30 for next year... and we havent even got a confirmed signing yet anyway.

As for Tamale, he didnt come through our lower grades (bar a couple of games) and I think thats the problem....that union background seems to cause a problem in us trying to re-train him defensively, I know his stats look good, but they have had to move him to the wing because he struggles with D.. I'm excited about him as a possibly winger, especially given his young age, but im honestly ok with whatever happens with his extension.. if he doesnt have the patience to keep improving, maybe the extension doesnt happen..

Plus im not sure Tamale would be better short-term than SFinau or CTui anyway.. so its a challenging call.... and longer term I really want Jesse Williams fast-tracked as our left-winger anyway, hes also 19 and holy hell goes like the clappers... but if Tamale stays patient AND keeps improving in defence.. perhaps in time he does end up a left centre.. but then Buchanan is hot on his heels in the left ctr position (but I think hes 17 or 18).. whatever happens happens with Tamale imo.. the staff are the ones dealing with him every day and where he is at mentally.

Parko1310

Juniors
Sloan has 3yrs in first grade now and is still 'learning the basics', Talagi is already surpassed him in almost every area of football in just a handful of NRL games.. only 2 of which were at fullback.

Even if we get the deal done (which may not get across the line).... he has another 9 months of development before 2025, hopefully some more of that will be at parra while Gutho is out.

But.. if he does come.. and it is fullback he ends up, im sure we will get a decent fullback coach to teach him the subtle skills... such as closing the gap on a 1on1 breakaway (I definitely noticed he didnt nail that yesterday).. and not over-running in defence due to over-enthusiasm.. plus I have no idea if he has any ability to organise a defensive line.. this stuff needs some work.. but the raw product is already very f***ing good... but he might not even be playing fullback yet... thats just where I'd play him, but we dont know yet who is even in our Top 30 for next year... and we havent even got a confirmed signing yet anyway.

As for Tamale, he didnt come through our lower grades (bar a couple of games) and I think thats the problem....that union background seems to cause a problem in us trying to re-train him defensively, I know his stats look good, but they have had to move him to the wing because he struggles with D.. I'm excited about him as a possibly winger, especially given his young age, but im honestly ok with whatever happens with his extension.. if he doesnt have the patience to keep improving, maybe the extension doesnt happen..

Plus im not sure Tamale would be better short-term than SFinau or CTui anyway.. so its a challenging call.... and longer term I really want Jesse Williams fast-tracked as our left-winger anyway, hes also 19 and holy hell goes like the clappers... but if Tamale stays patient AND keeps improving in defence.. perhaps in time he does end up a left centre.. but then Buchanan is hot on his heels in the left ctr position (but I think hes 17 or 18).. whatever happens happens with Tamale imo.. the staff are the ones dealing with him every day and where he is at mentally.
Another perspective of Tamale being moved to the wing rather than just simply being moved there because his defence wasn't good, is that maybe he's been moved to help him learn what is required of a centre defensively to help his winger out (i.e. not flying in out of the line like he does). I'm hoping it's more of an education thing, because I would like to keep him and see if he can improve his defence

TheRev

First Grade
Another perspective of Tamale being moved to the wing rather than just simply being moved there because his defence wasn't good, is that maybe he's been moved to help him learn what is required of a centre defensively to help his winger out (i.e. not flying in out of the line like he does). I'm hoping it's more of an education thing, because I would like to keep him and see if he can improve his defence
After all that hes back at ctr this week also, so be fascinating to see how he goes.. not sure what his path to 1st grade will be yet..

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
600k for Talagy!1 Seriously. We are offering 500k to Sloan and his tackle efficiency is 85%. Now according to Eels website Talagi's tackle efficiency is 80%. At this stage of his career his worth would be below 500k.
Tackle efficiency stats can be misleading, especially if you don't bother to attempt to tackle or get stepped etc doesnt count as part of the stat..

TheRev

First Grade
I would argue the best fullbacks have the lowest tackle efficiency.... its an indication of absolute desperation to stop a try... even if it only comes off 10% of the time.

Dufty was the king... loved to supervise tries being scored from a safe distance.. and wherever possible.. always go for an intercept instead.

justadragon

Bench

Parra are rumoured to be chasing Slater for coach, I guess if Talagi was to be a fullback then who would be the best coach to teach him these skills ?

Latest posts