What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wrap up from CS

We did some good things in attack,defence was solid,Burgess is working himself well back from injury,Reynolds and Sutto went well.Have to work on our ball handling and basic mistakes,ie losing against the head in a scrum 10mtrs out from the sticks.Looks like Farrell may have picked up an injury.Pettybourne and maybe Sutto are on report.

Last edited:

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Burgess & Taylor & nekrom looked solid. Tyrell really toiled away too.
Sutton showed a bit more intensity, try savers etc and Reynolds seemed to put in as well.
I'm not sure about king. He looked flat and Im personally over pettybourne. RemInds me of kidwell. Giving away penalties and the like.
Isaac still looks grubby, needs to get that out of his game or hopefully Madge will force it from him.

Did G burgess and Carr get a run?

Could be a lot different wih a full strength side ie inglis, Merritt, McQueen. Bring on the filth!

hardbaby

Coach
Your boys were good tonight. Beaten by a better team but take that horror 15 minute start out and it was very even. Burgess, Taylor, Luke...awesome. Farrell was a revelation at fullback. Reynolds looked very comfortable. Good performance. Top 8 for sure and enough strike power to take it out.

hunters

Juniors
Happy enough. Defense was much improved. Kicking game was below average though with lots of kicks finding the Saints players on the full. Couple of 'rusty' mistakes from big Sam but he started to look dangerous. Merritt will have a ball sniffing around him for a season.

Big Sam

First Grade
Quite a few points:

- The first 15 aside, I was overall very pleased.
- Could not get over how fit all the players were. Burgess looked almost anorexic!
- It's clear that we're in the process of returning to the conservative playing philosophy we saw in 2007 with defence the fundamental priority. Completing sets, reducing offloads etc.
- Reynolds looks to be a very intelligent halfback and I don't think we'll miss Sandow one bit. In fact Sandow's style of play would never have been compatible with the aforementioned conservatism that Maguire espouses.
- We were penalised a lot. Well above our 2011 average per game I believe. Is this due to the increased wrestling tactics Maguire wants or was it just the refereeing (Suttor is one of the most pedantic, whistle-happy refs in the game)?
- Sutton's effort was notable. Solid kicking game and good defence. Let's hope he plays at that level all season and not just in the first 5 rounds before dropping off like he always does.

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
I though our best where Sam Burgess, Dave Taylor, John Sutton, Issac Luke and Dylan Farrell, and how about lil Reynolds in defense, he creamed Cooper, and then smashed Vidot over the sideline, Reynolds > Sandow :) for the clear fact that Reynolds can actually tackle and actually has a go. uhhhh i though Sutton was creative and he was bloody everywhere, Corrigan was great in defense, uh im really not sure about the King signing, hes got a point to prove, if Blake Judd does play first grade for us, it will definantly wont be in the centres, that last try was caused by his bad read in defence, Sutton had his man covered but Judd came in and left a two on 1 with King, overall good performance, i was very pleased with our performance. but Eddy Pettybourne i dont qualifies for first grade at the moment.. Round 1 side to look like this...

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Matt King
3. Dylan Farrell
4. Greg Inglis (if not fit.. Shaune Corrigan)
5. Chris McQueen
6. John Sutton
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Luke Burgess
9. Nathan Peats
10. Roy Asotasi
11. Sam Burgess
12. Dave Taylor
13. Michael Crocker

14. Issac Luke
15. (Neccrom Areaiiti or George Burgess)
16. Dave Tyrell
17. Jason Clark

Big Sam

First Grade
1. Nathan Merritt
2. Matt King
3. Dylan Farrell
4. Greg Inglis (if not fit.. Shaune Corrigan)
5. Chris McQueen
6. John Sutton
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Luke Burgess
9. Nathan Peats
10. Roy Asotasi
11. Sam Burgess
12. Dave Taylor
13. Michael Crocker

14. Issac Luke
15. (Neccrom Areaiiti or George Burgess)
16. Dave Tyrell
17. Jason Clark

Do you think Maguire will put Peats ahead of Luke in the starting XIII? Also like you, I'm really warming to the idea of unleashing Areaiiti on the rorters. He'll provide good impact off the bench.

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
I thought starting Peats tonight then having Issac come on, worked great, Issac caused mayhem when he came off the bench, he had a bigger effect i think, both great players, but i think that rotation would work better for the side, have Issac come after 20 minutes and play the rest of the half come on after 10 in the second half and play the rest, and have Peats sub in whenever as a second rower...

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Great warmup game for round one. Last night proved to me that we'll clean up Rorters come march. Dragons are the one of the best and it's a good indication of how well we can do when you match yourselves up with the best. Dragons will finish higher than Manly and Tigers for mine. Very impressed with Reynalds. As much as people put shit on Sutton he's a great player and I think Sandow was who he was with sutto next to him. Looking forward to seeing them carve it up. Also burgess = machine.

DC_fan

Coach
The fact that we lost doesn't worry me. Trial game results, which the Charity Shield really is, don't concern me.

There was times during the game I thought we played well. Our defense, especially on our goal line I thought was good. Considering how much ball the Dragons had early in the game the fact we held them to just 12 points was a positive.

Sutton and Reynolds at times played quite well. Big Sammy Burgess was impressive when he didn't make mistakes.

t10do

Juniors
Some valid points in previous posts. I for one tend to try focus on the "maybes" than the "definites" this season.

We all have a soft spot for Geddes, but the likes of Areaiiti look more than capable of taking over.

Everingham I am still not sure about at this grade.

Judd, did what he had to do really.

Also want to congratulate the 20s. Hopefully its a sign of things to come, ESPECIALLY after last year.

gypsy

Bench
Thought some of the young blokes like Judd looked good. Reynolds impressed, you could just see the M.Johns influence already, it can't be a fluke, he brought the same success to Cronk and co.
Burgess looks set for a big year, wouldn't worry about the handling errors to start, he looks fit and powerful. King didn't go too bad first start back, Sutton faded in and out of the game a bit for mine, with a young half with him, he needs to take more control, just goes too quiet for too long.
Good hit out all in all.

Latest posts