Wrestlers you like that others don't

Discussion in 'Pro Wrestling' started by Iafeta, May 4, 2017.

1. Iafeta

Iafeta Referee

Debra McMichael. When Nitro was live I never really liked her. Didn't really even think she was hot. But oh my, yes she was. Her promos as the ditzy blond who hates all other broads are really good.

2. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

Feka, do you agree she was better in WCW than in the WWF?

What did you think of her character in the WWF?

3. Iafeta

Iafeta Referee

Didn't really watch WWF all that much really. I was staunchly WCW. But I know she wasn't really critiqued well in WCW but watching back on the network she plays a perfect heat building chicken you know what heel.

4. Manurewa_Marlins

Manurewa_Marlins Bench

puppies (Jerry Lawler dog whistle) here girl (whistle again) here girl

5. Meth

Meth Referee

edit- wrong thread

6. The Vaulting Violinist

The Vaulting Violinist Juniors

WCW Jeff Jarrett in 1996 - everyone seemed to hate him. Loved it. Hated the short hair look

Glacier - never got the hate. Loved the character

Shaun Hewitt likes this.
  7. Eelementary

Eelementary Immortal

Titus O'Neill

Very charismatic and entertaining, imo.

BallAndAllTackle likes this.
  8. Mogsheen Jadwat

Mogsheen Jadwat Juniors

Disco inferno was awesome.

Disco fever yeah yeah yeah yeah

9. RazorRam0n

RazorRam0n Juniors

i didn't mind raven and the flock, that went to shit when they let billy kidman turn face.

brian adams was another heel i was a fan of.

how big wrestlers you had nfi what the big deal was about

eg xpac samoa joe

10. Mogsheen Jadwat

Mogsheen Jadwat Juniors

Lex luger? Good figure but not much else?

11. RazorRam0n

RazorRam0n Juniors

sexy lexy was banging elizabeth. HoF just for that

Mogsheen Jadwat likes this.
  12. Iafeta

Iafeta Referee

WCW 1995-97, Luger was goooooollllldddd. The heel-face tag team with Sting was awesome. When the nWo took off, it's often forgotten that Luger was getting over big time. I think it's Uncensored 97 where he racks the entire nWo when IIRC Savage interferes to turn the tide. The crowd went from popping deluxe to being ravenous. In one or two matches he racks the Giant, and the crowd goes nuts.

He was visibly slowing down in 98, the move to the Wolfpack was the beginning of the end for Lex. It made no sense and confined him to being an irrelevant midcarder.

13. Mogsheen Jadwat

Mogsheen Jadwat Juniors

I remember luger during that time. Remember him racking hogan in chicago to win the title before road wild (i think?).
    Remember him coming out to help the giant in a tag titles match and crowd wild.

He was a draw for sure, i just dont understand why. Not particularly charismatic, fairly wooden wrestler, definitely had the look but...

14. Iafeta

Iafeta Referee

I think it's a few factors...

1) the Sting angle. IMO this was gold. A heel who pretends he's a face to team with his best mate who he cons the whole way.
    2) DDP turned baby face but when the nWo started DDP was a self loving jackwad heel. Giant went nWo. Sting left and for a few months they were having him attack people at random so they weren't taking him as the super face he became (so the commentators would have you believe, but it's incredibly obvious he's attacking guys who are doubting him). So Luger by default becomes the face opponent to standby. Remember Flair was injured at this point too.
    3) the south lived a wrestler who could bounce back from nowhere and change momentum to get a win which was Lugers shtick.

I think they're the reasons he was massively over. It was good booking that favoured Luger.

15. PeteyFirth

PeteyFirth Juniors

New Jack. Loved his craziness. Crazy promos and crazy matches.

16. Manurewa_Marlins

Manurewa_Marlins Bench

^ me too. Big fan of the gimmick, the theme song, the whole thing he had going on.

17. Valheru

Valheru Bench

RE: Luger, the other thing people have to remember is that pre WWF run he had a very good resume in the southern territories. I haven't seen much of it but his career in the late 80s and early 90s was littered with ****+ matches. It is hard to believe if you look at his run post 1993 but he was apparently a good worker prior to that.

18. Manurewa_Marlins

Manurewa_Marlins Bench

Nah, Flair, Sting, Wyndham etc carried him. He also didnt have a stupid gimmick.

19. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

Valheru - I was really surprised to hear that Ricky Steamboat allowed Luger to call their matches together. It really goes to show how well respected he was among the boys back then.

The issue with Lex is that he got lazy. Some of the boys got into his ear about how many bumps he should be taking and he got by doing the bare minimum. By the end, the agents hated work with him. According to Lance Storm, Finlay would have given anything to step into the ring and made Lex work his arse off.

Iafeta and Valheru like this.
  20. Iafeta

Iafeta Referee

Re Luger. Anyone hear when Flair had him on his podcast. Poor Luger. He's in a wheel chair, life is awful. Flair proceeds to just tell Luger how awesome his life is. Poor Luger is being diplomatical. "Gosh that's great Naitch... wow that's great Naitch". You can just hear his mind saying STFU son I'm living like trailer traish here.

My addition to the list, Nick Bockwinkle. I wouldn't say anyone hates him necessarily but he doesn't get the props he deserves. Bumps well. Sells brilliantly. Psychology master. For his generation he was an absolute gold standard. And his promos. Oh his promos. Brilliant. Uses big words to confound fans and make himself as an elitist brilliantly. Got the fans hot.