What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WS Team Start Up Thread

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Thought I'd do a thread on the teams start up, anyone planning on supporting them?

Just went to the first fan forum, went pretty well.

The team will probably be called the Western Sydney Wanderers judging from the crowd, and play in Red, White and Black. Parra stadium seems to be the most likely, everyone hated the shared grounds thing.

People seemed keen to get the team playing total football to some extent, but the pitch at Parra wouldn't be condusive to that I would have thought, would need to be relaid. Hope they choose that style, even if they bugger it up for a while, great to watch.

Next fan forum is at Parramatta on Tuesday. 7:30PM at the Riverside Theatre.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
People seemed keen to get the team playing total football to some extent.

With all due respect what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Total football hasn't been played anywhere since the early 70s. No team has ever played it since, and no A-League team with a small salary cap and the inability to attract quality players will ever be able to play a style of football like it.

If people say they would like the team to play like Brisbane Roar do, then yes, that makes more sense. But that isn't total football.

Anyway red and black vertical stripes would look pretty good IMO, and I don't mind the Wanderers name.

The issue, aside from community engagement and attracting fans, is to be competitive on the park. I can't see how you can possibly build a competitive side in under 6 months.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
The way the Roar play roughly, sorry, aint much of a guru on it.

The Wanderers is a name which was used by loads of teams from WS back in the day.

age.s

First Grade
I was at the forum too. There was a lot of anger expressed by a small section of fans of an old NSL club (Syd U I think). Bosnich handled it really well, and I hope he's involved in the bid more long term.

It was an interesting night. Who knows how it will go, but they're making the right noises about listening to the fans and making it a club for the people.

Big Sam

First Grade
I was at the forum too. There was a lot of anger expressed by a small section of fans of an old NSL club (Syd U I think). Bosnich handled it really well, and I hope he's involved in the bid more long term.

I read about this somewhere else too. Just out of curiosity, what was the age range of these NSL supporters? Were they a bunch of bitter old blokes still in denial or were they young?

PaddyBoy

Juniors

It was an interesting night. Who knows how it will go, but they're making the right noises about listening to the fans and making it a club for the people.

They ambushed them. They met with the Prem Clubs the day before and they expressed no concerns.

Bozza was fuggin legendary. How funny was it whrn people started calling for him to be coach.

"How will I ever be able to enforce a before midnight curfew?".

age.s

First Grade
I read about this somewhere else too. Just out of curiosity, what was the age range of these NSL supporters? Were they a bunch of bitter old blokes still in denial or were they young?

They weren't old. Mid or maybe late 20s.

They were too aggro and didn't express their point well, but I can see where they're coming from. There was a lot of talk about how the new team would need to connect with the old NSL clubs and use players from western Sydney, but where are the players going to come from? As I understand the A League takes players from these clubs to play in the big time and the club gets next to nothing for it. Often it's done mid season, derailing a competition that's very real for these people. These people are loyal to Sydney United, Marconi, Bonyrigg etc, and what they see is a League they never asked for raping their clubs. If you think about how you would feel if we were talking about the Panthers, Dogs or the Rabbits you can kind of see why they're so angry.

That's not a reason to derail the whole process. We can't go back to the days of ethnic affiliation, but these clubs are and will continue to be the link between the enormous junior base and the A League. That link is somethig the A League has to address if they want the support of these huge soccer communities. Setting up structures that treat them fairly for the work they do developing the talent the League will be built on will be important if the club is to reach it's potential.

Sydney United got pillaged twice for the creation of plastic "non-ethnic can't-we-all-just-get-along" teams in the NSL that were both dismal failures.

It was especially good to see Parramatta Power fail big time the only thing they didn't take from Sydney United was the gate to Edensor.

age.s

First Grade
It was especially good to see Parramatta Power fail big time the only thing they didn't take from Sydney United was the gate to Edensor.

There was a guy last night (not a United fan) who suggested using Sydney United's home ground as the ground for the team.

Sparky 74

Juniors
I do thint the team should not have SYDNEY in it's name.
Why not WEST CITY FC (west of the city of sydney)

Colours should be Red/Black/White

The crest should be like below (WCFC) not BPFC & est year on the bottom

images

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Lawrie McKinna, LOL what a joke.

I really want this to work but that will be the first of many bad decisions.

If they want to connect to the community a good start would have been a local coach.

Why do the same old tired names keep getting recycled in the A-League? No one new is ever given a go, the same trash just goes around and around like a merry go round.