What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWE WrestleMania XXIX *** SPOILERS ***

nöyd

Staff member
wrestlemania_29_zps8eaee5f3.png

ROCK-CENA_zps9830f854.png

delrio-swagger_zps6300332e.png

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
So let's get this card straight...

Cena/Rock
Del Rio/Swagger

And HHH/Lesnar & Punk/Taker are all but confirmed.

That leaves Sheamus, Jericho, The Shield, Ziggler, Orton, Cesaro, Barrett, Team Hell No etc. all looking for something to do.

Got to say, this is really shaping up to be an unspectacular Mania. Cena/Rock II would be fine if the first match had have really impacted Cena but let's be honest it didn't. Instead of having his normally 'great' year (kayfabe wise) he just ended up having a moderately good one. This isn't redemption for anybody other than Cena and I'm unsure why as a fan I'd care Cena to get his win back. Aren't I suppose to like The Rock? Why do I want to see Cena beat him? Or conversely why do I want to see The Rock beat Cena again?

I can see them adding some retirement stipulation where if HHH loses, he has to retire but clearly HHH is going to get his win back and get his 'feel-good' moment. I just wish HHH had the sense that his time is up and he's better off developing NXT guys for the future. As an on-screen character, he's mostly been the biggest prick in the universe so again why should I care whether he wins or loses? I'd much rather see Brock vs. Taker.

Speaking of Taker, his potential match against Punk does nothing for me. It could be a great match, if Punk can carry Taker and the agents devise enough smoke and mirrors but it's been set-up in such a way that it's almost a fore-gone conclusion and there's nothing to be gained from it. Look, I've suggested this elsewwhere but what I wouldn't mind is a Team Heyman vs. HHH/Taker match if only to break the cycle of 'epic' Taker matches and just giving us a big damn tag team brawl.

I can't see Del Rio/Swagger being a good match and I think the WWE pulled the trigger on this feud way too quickly. Swagger would have been the perfect post-Mania opponent for Del Rio as you establish both him and Coulter and really get over his new gimmick. Unfortunately they've dived straight into it and I could really care less whether Del Rio beats him or not. In fact, I'm basically hoping Ziggler cashes in and is finally given something to do.

The fact barely any of the under-card feuds have been established really says a lot. Mania should be a blow-off show for a bunch of programs, not just a regular PPV.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's one of those rare occasions where I agree with Pete. I'm not terribly excited for Rock/Cena II or Lesnar/HHH II. It's a bit of a worry that the WWE sees two part-time wrestlers as crucial to their Mania lineup.

Punk/Taker may have interested me with the right build-up, but streak matches are a bit of a dud for me emotionally since the outcome is always a foregone conclusion.

I may be interested in what the Shield is up to, but given it'll likely be a multi-man tag team against three random main eventers and they'll probably finally get their comeuppance, I'm not so excited. Besides, the angle has been treading water forever.

I've heard rumours that MITB might make a return. That'd at least give me a match to look forward to.

No meaningful midcard feuds going on right now and none likely to develop in time for the show. Swagger/Del Rio feels like a midcard feud and I don't really have a particular fondness for either of them.

Big Pete

Referee
Won't happen but I'd like to see...

Chris Jericho vs. Seth Rollins

Team Hell No vs. The Shield - WWE Tag Championship Match

Rollins doesn't even have to win the match, as long as he gets a good showing against a legend and establishes himself I reckon that's enough. In time, you have him break out of the group and bring in somebody like Leo Kruger or Kassius Ohno.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd be down with that, although I'd love to see Ambrose v Jericho instead. The promos would just be off the wall.

That or a traditional 5 on 5 Survivor Series. It'd mean expanding Shield, but that probably needs to happen somewhere down the line anyway given how many enemies they're having them make.

Valheru

Coach
Undertaker/Punk is confirmed after RAW this week

So we have Cena/Rock, ADR/Swagger and UT/Punk all confirmed with HHH/Brock being all but confirmed.

The Shield will be involved in some type of 6 man with Sheamus Orton and probably Jericho.

I guess that leaves Big Show V Ryback and the expected Kane/Bryan match.

I guess we will also get a women’s match plus at least one of IC and/or US title.

Special K

Coach
imo they really dropped the ball with Punk/Taker. Rock and Cena does not need the belt and streak vs streak would have been epic.

Big Pete

Referee
Rock/Cena NEEDED it for kayfabe reasons. To make the rematch occur organically, as opposed to Rocky coming out and challenging Cena again just cause.

While the belt would have been great in building up Punk/Taker, the problem is everything that follows that match. Neither guy should win that match. Punk isn't big enough to capitilise on as the streak ender. While on the other hand, Taker isn't fit enough to work a champions schedule and wouldn't be able to carry it longer than say a month.

I know The Rock is working a very light schedule, but Rock is an A-list celebrity and one of the biggest draws in wrestling history. Taker, while one of the biggest names in history, doesn't draw as much interest as The Rock and can't get away with just cutting promos for weeks on end.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Rock, Undertaker, Triple H, and Lesnar all being such crucial parts of the Wrestlemania card is a pretty sad indictment as to the WWE's inability to make stars these days.

Big Pete

Referee
Fair point, in fact you can even add Jericho to that list, although he might not be as crucial as the others.

I don't have a problem with the likes of Rock or Brock headlining. Both guys would star in any era and in The Rock's case there's an argument that he's the biggest star wrestling has ever had. It's not like he's Flair or Hogan either, Rock can still go and I don't think the fans ever really got their fill of The Rock. He was only ever in the spotlight for 4 years really. In Brock's case, he didn't even last 2.

Valheru

Coach
I honestly believe the best combination for mania would have been Rock/Cena, Brock/Punk and Taker/Ziggler with HHH being involved in the shield storyline. That way you make effective use of the part timers with (hopefully) Cena, Punk and the shield all going over with Ziggler pushing taker all the way.

azzah72

Bench
I think we will see Ryback vs Henry
Orton, Sheamus & ? vs Shield
Ziggs vs Jericho
Miz vs Cesaro
Womens title match.
Barrett vs ?
Either a tag title match or kane vs Bryan.

on top of Cena vs rock
Taker vs Punk
HHH vs Brock
Swagger vs Del Rio

Personally, I'd like to see the 6 man go and have a MITB.

Perhaps Orton, Sheamus, Ziggs, Jericho, Barrett, Kofi, & 2 more (perhaps ryback & henry.)

Last edited:

nöyd

Staff member
the IC title has died in the arse, I haven't seen any shows since the Rumble, does Barrett even have a feud going?

Bo Dallas?

Eddie Lab

Juniors
the undercard for this is looking very underwhelming.
- no one knows what is happening with tag team, us or IC or if they will be defended on the night(doubtful).
- Shield look likely to be facing big show, Shamus and Orton. hopefully no DQ or elimination tag to add some flavor.
- ziggs is jobbing out to everyone. doesn't seem to have anything building
- ryback might have a nothing match with Mark Henry. if so the WWE dropped the ball on this one, which no one is really surprised about.

the main event matches will be good but all look very predictable. taker, cena, HHH and ADR as the winners.

RHCP

Bench
The streak is pointless if it's never broken. I doubt Punk will go over but somebody has to do it.

RHCP

Bench
Not to say having Taker always win is pointless, it works great while Taker is still a regular, but I think him retiring with a clean sheet is a waste imo.

Big Pete

Referee
Fair point.

It's always going to be one of those divisive topics. It'd be cool if there was somebody to end the streak but I don't know if such a talent exists.

I don't believe Punk fits the bill although WWE should go into this year with the idea that he is so there is at least some suspense.

RHCP

Bench
Fair point.

It's always going to be one of those divisive topics. It'd be cool if there was somebody to end the streak but I don't know if such a talent exists.

I don't believe Punk fits the bill although WWE should go into this year with the idea that he is so there is at least some suspense.
That's the only real issue.

I don't watch too much WWE anymore, but it seems like the superstars are too up and down these days for anybody to be worth giving the push too.