What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xavi Hernandez - Legacy

Ridders

Coach
Surely has to be considered one of the, if not the best central midfielder of his generation? Been the heart-beat of the Barcelona midfield as well as Spain's midfield in recent years.

Resume speaks for itself. By age 30;

Club Level

5 La Liga Titles
2 Champions League Titles
1 Spanish Cup

International Level

Euro 2008 Winner - Player of the Tournament
World Cup 2010 Winner

Bulldog Force

Referee
Surely has to be considered one of the, if not the best central midfielder of his generation? Been the heart-beat of the Barcelona midfield as well as Spain's midfield in recent years.

Resume speaks for itself. By age 30;

Club Level

5 La Liga Titles
2 Champions League Titles
1 Spanish Cup

International Level

Euro 2008 Winner - Player of the Tournament
World Cup 2010 Winner
Incredibly impressive. Andreas Iniesta might surpass him though when he's 30 (in 4 years time). But Xavi is easily one of the best going around at the moment.

aqua_duck

Coach
I can see Xavi being around for a while yet. Some players who rely on pace and power don't usually sustain that level for a long time because they lose their athletic attributes. Xavi's game is about finding space, picking out passes and unlocking defences, I very rarely see Xavi running at pull pace, he's like the quarterback of the midfield.

Red Bear

Referee
I still prefer watching Xabi Alonso play from that Spanish midfield, one of the most underated elite players around, but Xavi is pretty incredible.

Ridders

Coach
I still prefer watching Xabi Alonso play from that Spanish midfield, one of the most underated elite players around, but Xavi is pretty incredible.

Was a massive fan of Alonso during his Liverpool days. His passing was a joy to watch.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Xavi is ridiculously good, the best central midfielder of his type that I've ever seen. He's been the best midfielder in the world for a few years now, and more than anyone else it is him that makes Barca and Spain play the way they do.

In fact, if I was naming the best team I've ever seen I'd pick him in the midfield two next to Keane.

aqua_duck

Coach
There is no Messi without Xavi or Iniesta, the two best players in the world by a mile.
I disagree that Xavi and Iniesta are better than Messi but I think Xavi is the barometer of any team he plays for, he controls the tempo, he's like a quarterback who can pick apart any defence with a through ball. Problem with Messi at International level is he has to play so deep because the Argies are full of ball hogs and glory hunters. Messi is the best player probably of his generation when he's in the attacking third of the park but with Argentina if he just stayed wide waiting for the ball he'd never see it

In terms of technical quality he's the best in the world IMO. Rarely ever see him fudge a pass or lose possession of the ball. Spain couldn't have won without him

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I'd say Scholes is/was up there with Xavi for midfield brilliance but then i'm biased. ;-)
Scholes at his best is right up there when on the ball, but Xavi is far better defensively and at closing players down than Scholesy ever was.

and I guess Gary Neville was better than Puyol?
That's actually a closer one. Both very good players, far better than opposition fans generally give credit for, but arguably neither are as good as you'd think a certain starter for so long for two of the worlds best teams would be.

Last edited:
I disagree that Xavi and Iniesta are better than Messi but I think Xavi is the barometer of any team he plays for, he controls the tempo, he's like a quarterback who can pick apart any defence with a through ball. Problem with Messi at International level is he has to play so deep because the Argies are full of ball hogs and glory hunters. Messi is the best player probably of his generation when he's in the attacking third of the park but with Argentina if he just stayed wide waiting for the ball he'd never see it

Xavi is the reason Messi is allowed to terrorise teams from Real Madrid to Xerez and in between but they compliment each other well, difference being that Argentina have nobody who can even remotely replicate what Messi receives at Barcelona.

I'd say Scholes is/was up there with Xavi for midfield brilliance but then i'm biased. ;-)

Xavi would win that in a knockout.

Bulldog Force

Referee
There is no Messi without Xavi or Iniesta, the two best players in the world by a mile.
Gee's TT - you've come a very long way from the guy who had a huge laugh at me for supporting Spain in Euro 2008 - and now considering they hold BOTH the European AND World Cup titles... :crazy:

Gee's TT - you've come a very long way from the guy who had a huge laugh at me for supporting Spain in Euro 2008 - and now considering they hold BOTH the European AND World Cup titles... :crazy:
I'm sorry I fail to make the connection here, are you even Spanish or are you just free loading?