What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xmas report card

melon....

Coach
From Sydneyroosters.com.au

Off-season recruit report
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
dottedline_full.gif

Harrison_Roosters.jpg

With Christmas just around the corner, we give you the low-down on the progress of the Roosters’ off-season recruits, before the club’s players take a well-deserved 17-day break on Friday.

And it’s a promising report card all-round, with high-profile stars Braith Anasta and Ashley Harrison leading a squad Australian star Craig Wing describes as “the fittest I’ve seen at this stage of the year”.

Braith Anasta – has worked double-time at training over recent weeks to bring his fitness up to speed. Has fit in well around the club, taking on a number of sponsorship, charity and promotional duties. However, it will be on the field next year where Anasta’s value is judged. “The past month or so has been tough slog, so I think all the boys are looking forward to Christmas now,” Anasta says. “That will come at a good time for us. It’s the last break we’ll have for a while, so we need to enjoy it and come back fit and firing.”

Ashley Harrison – came to the club super-fit and has impressed everyone with his no-fuss, professional work ethic. While all the hype has been directed to Anasta, many feel the Queensland Origin forward could prove to be the buy of the year. “I’m enjoying the club, the training and the boys,” Harrison says. “It’s a good opportunity for my career in terms of becoming a better player and playing finals footy. They’re my goals for 2006.”

Mark Edmonson – has been troubled by a nagging shoulder injury since arriving from England two months ago. Has been unable to resume full-time training – only completing full sessions on a spasmodic basis. However, the quietly-spoken former St Helens star has impressed Ricky Stuart with his work ethic and attention to detail. Has set his sights on finally cracking a Great Britain jumper in 2006, and is keen to follow the footsteps of Adrian Morley.

Charlie Tonga – has allayed any doubts over his fitness on the back of two outstanding months’ training. Strong, powerful and surprisingly fast, could prove to be Stuart’s diamond in the rough next year. “It’s been great here so far, everyone’s been good to me,” Tonga says. “It’s a big challenge for me to get a spot in the team, but I think with hard work I can do it. I’ve come here to play more first grade and improve my footy – that’s what this is all about at the Roosters.”

John Doyle – like Edmonson, has been able to complete full training sessions on a regular basis. Has been hampered by a lingering knee complaint, unrelated to the injury that forced his premature retirement while at North Queensland in 2002. “It’s been frustrating. I’m mainly just doing weights, but hopefully by the New Year I’ll be able to get back into it,” Doyle says.

Glenn Hall – has had to work harder than anyone after struggling badly for fitness upon arrival in September. But the giant front rower has proved he’s up to the task in attaining a more slimline, powerful frame over the past two months. Is looking to resurrect his first grade career after injury and poor form cruelled his progress at Souths. Will keep the pressure on for a first grade spot all year if he keeps up his current work ethic.

Anton LaVin – has finally shaken off an annoying hamstring complaint to impress at full-time training over the past two weeks. Possesses explosive speed. Is small in height for a centre, but believes he can make an impact in his first league outing next February. “I’m learning every day, taking new things in,” he says. “It’s been exciting for me here – refreshing – like my first day of school. There’s good opportunity at the Roosters for young guys who show good form and that’s what I’m going out there to do.”

Josh Lewis – the powerfully-built young five-eighth has impressed the club with his outstanding long passing and kicking games. Will probably start 2006 for Newtown in Premier League, but will keep the pressure on Brett Finch and Jamie Soward for the first grade number seven jumper all year. Has all the skills and recruitment officer Arthur Beetson believes “he’s a kid with an outstanding football brain”.

Mitchell Pearce – has been completing year eleven and has been unable to partake in full-time training as yet. Is currently on holiday with his parents, but will work with the full-time squad when training resumes in January. Was chased by a horde of high-profile clubs, but chose the Roosters for the chance to work with the likes of Stuart, Brad Fittler and Jim Dymock. Will be a shining light in the club’s lower grades next year.