What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep, not too shabby at all

wittyfan

Referee
Iafeta said:
sullyfan said:
Iafeta said:
sullyfan said:
Australia is still far and away the no.1 one day team in World cricket.

Are they? They didn't exactly show that against New Zealand, and indeed their percentages were less than New Zealand over the year.

Personally, I still think Australia are ahead, but in the one day game the gap has narrowed significantly over the year. There's some pretty damn impressive performances from New Zealand this year that has even made Australia sit up and take notice.

Australia easily won the encounter at the ICC Mini World Cup. And it should have been three wins from three games against NZ in 2004 if it wasn't for one shocking over from Kasprowicz.

Also Australia's greatness in one day cricket is the ability to win the games that really matter.

ODI cricket is a 100 game. It doesn't really matter what happens in one over. That's a real cop out. McCullum and Marshall batted damn well. McCullum made Kasprowicz look worse than he was. I mean if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, you got to 70 before you lost your first wicket, but it should have been nought when Hayden was plumb LBW. But I'd rather not drag down a great match to become a petty cop-out fest. I'll leave that to you.

Secondly, for the record, Australia were about 170 odd for 5 or 6, and struggling in that match. So to say it was as the result of that one over, is utter tripe. Given that Astle and Sinclar put on 120-130 together, what happened in those overs? Or those overs don't count? Utter, utter, utter tripe. Honestly.

You lost. Get over it. Build a bridge.

As for winning the games that count, no, there was only one competition of any real note this year, and for the record, Australia didn't win it. Believe it or not, the West Indies did. The ICC Championship doesn't count??

Kasprowicz's over was one of the worst in one day history. The four wides was enough for me. Australia had the game under control until that point and should have won. That over reduced a very tough ask for NZ into a doddle.

Of course the players are going to say that they wanted to win it. What are they going to say? That they don't give a stuff?

Also who remembers who won the ICC Cup in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003? It still has yet to make a real mark yet.

pogo

Juniors
geez you must be blinkered something fierce sullyfan!

if you cannot accept that the icc champions trophy is an important event then with due respect there is no hope for you.

you would be the first to trumpet an aussie win in any event, give some credit where its due.

or maybe you prefer gloating over a 3 nil win against a piss poor pakistan team, with a million injuries on our home soil.

Iafeta

Referee
sullyfan said:
Iafeta said:
sullyfan said:
Iafeta said:
sullyfan said:
Australia is still far and away the no.1 one day team in World cricket.

Are they? They didn't exactly show that against New Zealand, and indeed their percentages were less than New Zealand over the year.

Personally, I still think Australia are ahead, but in the one day game the gap has narrowed significantly over the year. There's some pretty damn impressive performances from New Zealand this year that has even made Australia sit up and take notice.

Australia easily won the encounter at the ICC Mini World Cup. And it should have been three wins from three games against NZ in 2004 if it wasn't for one shocking over from Kasprowicz.

Also Australia's greatness in one day cricket is the ability to win the games that really matter.

ODI cricket is a 100 game. It doesn't really matter what happens in one over. That's a real cop out. McCullum and Marshall batted damn well. McCullum made Kasprowicz look worse than he was. I mean if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, you got to 70 before you lost your first wicket, but it should have been nought when Hayden was plumb LBW. But I'd rather not drag down a great match to become a petty cop-out fest. I'll leave that to you.

Secondly, for the record, Australia were about 170 odd for 5 or 6, and struggling in that match. So to say it was as the result of that one over, is utter tripe. Given that Astle and Sinclar put on 120-130 together, what happened in those overs? Or those overs don't count? Utter, utter, utter tripe. Honestly.

You lost. Get over it. Build a bridge.

As for winning the games that count, no, there was only one competition of any real note this year, and for the record, Australia didn't win it. Believe it or not, the West Indies did. The ICC Championship doesn't count??

Kasprowicz's over was one of the worst in one day history. The four wides was enough for me. Australia had the game under control until that point and should have won. That over reduced a very tough ask for NZ into a doddle.

Of course the players are going to say that they wanted to win it. What are they going to say? That they don't give a stuff?

Also who remembers who won the ICC Cup in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003? It still has yet to make a real mark yet.

Deadset, reply to this thread when you jump over the bridge you need to build and have joint us in Reality-Land.

I'll say it once again - YOU LOST! Deal with it. Much like you're fighting a very much losing battle in this argument.

That is a crock of rubbish, worst in one day history. I've seen clown's come up with better dribble than you. I cannot honestly believe you waste your time coming up with such ludicrous dribble. There have been more expensive overs. Especially at the death of games. Bruce Reid versus Javed Miandad springs to mind. Another Australian against Alan Lamb is another one.

Who remembers who won the ICC Trophy? Well, you're probably not giong to know who won the 2001 and 2003 contests, BECAUSE THERE WERE NO FREAKIN CONTESTS! Jeepers freakin christ. Its a bi-annual event. For the record, I do know, and so do most people with an interest in the game rather than ridiculous bandwagoners without the foggiest clue like yourself, South Africa won in 1998, New Zealand in 2000, India and Sri Lanka shared it in 2002 and the Windies won in 2004.

What next? The World Series/VB Series are irrelevant too? Oh, no thats right, Australia's won a few of them, that must make it count.

As for "one over", fine, lets take about 5-10 overs out from Gilchrist. New Zealand do it in a "doddle" from there too. What the hell is your point? It is a 100 over match. The opposition team scores a try with 5 minutes to go, what are you going to do, run your mouth that your team played pretty good for 75 minutes? I'd like to see that excuse wash in a Grand Final. Because when they look back at history, they won't be looking for cop-outs, but the result. Thats reality. La-la land dreamworld with floating fairies carry on like a cop-out queen about one over. Give McCullum some credit, he threw the bowler off completely by charging at him. He got rattled by some terrific batting. No ifs, no buts, that was world class batting.

History shows New Zealand won, Australia lost. Deal with it. Maybe get some therapy if you can't.

Write a reply when you have something sensible to say.

wittyfan

Referee
pogo said:
geez you must be blinkered something fierce sullyfan!

if you cannot accept that the icc champions trophy is an important event then with due respect there is no hope for you.

you would be the first to trumpet an aussie win in any event, give some credit where its due.

or maybe you prefer gloating over a 3 nil win against a piss poor pakistan team, with a million injuries on our home soil.

I haven't been gloating in here, have I?

To win the ICC Champions Trophy all you need to do is win four games. Four games! And one of those is usually against an ICC qualifier such as USA or Holland. I'm sorry, but I don't rate it as a great barometer of one day cricket. To win the last World Cup you had to play 11 games and you couldn't afford to lose too many of those. Forgive me for not following a bi-annual cricket tournament with attentive care.

wittyfan

Referee
Iafeta said:
Deadset, reply to this thread when you jump over the bridge you need to build and have joint us in Reality-Land.

I'll say it once again - YOU LOST! Deal with it. Much like you're fighting a very much losing battle in this argument.

I have dealt with it. I just made the comment that Australia should have won it from that position. They let it slip. It happens.

Iafeta said:
That is a crock of rubbish, worst in one day history. I've seen clown's come up with better dribble than you. I cannot honestly believe you waste your time coming up with such ludicrous dribble. There have been more expensive overs. Especially at the death of games. Bruce Reid versus Javed Miandad springs to mind. Another Australian against Alan Lamb is another one.

Reid went for 18 from Lamb, not more than 22. When did the Bruce Reid-Javed Miandad over happen? Reid only played five one day games against Pakistan and from the scoresheets it doesn't appear if that ever happened.

Iafeta said:
As for "one over", fine, lets take about 5-10 overs out from Gilchrist. New Zealand do it in a "doddle" from there too. What the hell is your point? It is a 100 over match. The opposition team scores a try with 5 minutes to go, what are you going to do, run your mouth that your team played pretty good for 75 minutes? I'd like to see that excuse wash in a Grand Final. Because when they look back at history, they won't be looking for cop-outs, but the result. Thats reality. La-la land dreamworld with floating fairies carry on like a cop-out queen about one over. Give McCullum some credit, he threw the bowler off completely by charging at him. He got rattled by some terrific batting. No ifs, no buts, that was world class batting.

A newspaper here had a headline, "Kasper - The Friendly Host". I think it sums it all up pretty well. In my opinion (and I am entitled to it) it was the worst over in one day cricket since Glenn Trimble's debut in 1986. Then Trimble may have been quite nervous, being a young player on debut. Kasprowicz has been playing International cricket for several years and perhaps shouldn't have been as ruffled as he was.

Anyway, I just said Australia probably should have won this game. Geez.

Red Bear

Referee
Well Done NZ.
I personally dont care much apart from world cup in ODI tournaments, nice to win games/series but Test Cricket is where its at. Australia will be going onto at least 6 and quite possibly 7 series in a row(the ashes are ours :D ).
Also i was glad that the West Indies won the ICC trophy, cos they not only beat england who were full of gloat after finally winning a game against us only to still ose the series but i would love to see the West Indies turn into a world force again.

Macca

Coach
It's a good acheivement for NZ. Test cricket should be more important to them though.

Kiwi

First Grade
Iafeta

Sullyfan is a sharks supporter, he is use to having to come up with cop outs and excuses, and it seems he has mastered the art.

ozbash

Referee
Would you want your country to win the ICC champiopns trophy, or put in the resources and preparation to beat Australia on home soil in a test series?

i,d take each series/game on its merits.
i would blood some younger players against the "lesser " nations ( whoever they are) so the team developement ticks along.

aussie are too sacrificial and mercenary, they would rather sacrifice developement for gate sales at home.
but i guess with a govt pouring billions into an accademy of sport, who can blame them ?

bit too much like buying wins tho,

no wonder nobody likes them.... :roll:

TheParraboy

Staff member
aussie are too sacrificial and mercenary, they would rather sacrifice developement for gate sales at home.
but i guess with a govt pouring billions into an accademy of sport, who can blame them ?

:roll: if its not umpires with dogdy decisions, or beings thugs on off the field, its the goverment :lol:.
The same amentioned government poured a billion dollars into tsumani disaster. Nice to see NZ pledge about 1% of that amount !!

no wonder nobody likes them.... :roll:

no wonder jelousy is a bitch :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
sullyfan said:
Iafeta said:

I have dealt with it. I just made the comment that Australia should have won it from that position. They let it slip. It happens.

Iafeta said:

Reid went for 18 from Lamb, not more than 22. When did the Bruce Reid-Javed Miandad over happen? Reid only played five one day games against Pakistan and from the scoresheets it doesn't appear if that ever happened.

Iafeta said:

A newspaper here had a headline, "Kasper - The Friendly Host". I think it sums it all up pretty well. In my opinion (and I am entitled to it) it was the worst over in one day cricket since Glenn Trimble's debut in 1986. Then Trimble may have been quite nervous, being a young player on debut. Kasprowicz has been playing International cricket for several years and perhaps shouldn't have been as ruffled as he was.

Anyway, I just said Australia probably should have won this game. Geez.

Hang on a second, Chris Harris is an experienced international bowler. He went for 30 in one over. Steve Waugh was an experienced international ODI bowler, what happened to him against Asif Mujtaba? Javed Miandad did paste someone in a famous last over, I forget whom though as it was back in the 80s.

How about we give some credit where credits due? Brendon McCullum took to Kasprowicz, first two balls he came down and outside off stump because he banked on Kasper bowling out there. It worked. Sanath Jayasuriya banked on many things from Chris Harris, it worked. Asif Mujtaba banked on a slower ball from Steve Waugh, it worked. Javed Miandad played brilliantly, it worked.

As bowling to Adam Gilchrist shows, sometimes the bowler is at a loss as to what to do. Sometimes there is literally nothing you can do. As for the wide, he had been thrown off by the previous 4 or 5 shots from McCullum and Marshall and the situation those shots had got them into, he got rattled. He's not the first bowler, he won't be the last. Bowlers have in the history of the game slipped down the legside and to the boundary. Its not as if it never happens, as you for some reason or another seem to believe. Guess though in fairy-land that happens.

As for believing every article you ever read, next thing you'd have believed John Howard would never bring in GST. Articles are designed to capture attention, would it have captured as much attention if it just wrote about the other 99 overs? No. That over captured attention. Was it a bad over? Yes. Was it great batting? Unbelievable batting. Unfortunately, some news publications saw more newspaper sales, more ad sales, and hence more revenue in looking at the local boy, Kasprowicz, the public hype surrounding the next cab off the rank in Brett Lee, or praising the two unknown foreignors? Hmmm - what makes a back page headline, let me think.

No. You didn't say Australia should have won that game. You basically said over and over New Zealand didn't deserve to win that game and infact the game was thrown to them rather than them winning it. Thats cheap, low. Give credit where credits due. There's more to cricket than just Australia.

wittyfan

Referee
GoTheBears said:
Also i was glad that the West Indies won the ICC trophy, cos they not only beat england who were full of gloat after finally winning a game against us only to still ose the series but i would love to see the West Indies turn into a world force again.

They are still way short of world class, Cameron White and David Hussey are smashing the Windies from one end of Bellerive to the other currently! I fear for their bowlers with Gilchrist in such good touch.

Iafeta

Referee
sullyfan said:
GoTheBears said:

They are still way short of world class, Cameron White and David Hussey are smashing the Windies from one end of Bellerive to the other currently! I fear for their bowlers with Gilchrist in such good touch.

I notice you looked at their bowling aspect only - they do it with their batting as their strength. Gayle, Lara, Chanderpaul, Sarwan are all geuinely classy players - the others are not too shabby either.

wittyfan

Referee
Iafeta said:
sullyfan said:
GoTheBears said:

I notice you looked at their bowling aspect only - they do it with their batting as their strength. Gayle, Lara, Chanderpaul, Sarwan are all geuinely classy players - the others are not too shabby either.

That is true, but you don't want to be chasing close to 300 each time!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Regardless of how you personally rate one-day cricket, it definitely counts these days. The majority of matches played are one-dayers, and they bring in the crowds. You mightn't like it, but it's the truth. Credit where it's due to NZ, we've realised this and poured a fair amount of energy into improving our one day game. Personally, I'd like to see improvements in our test game, but for the time being I appreciate the successes that we are having.