What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another Triple J Hottest 100

Dee - a few weeks mate.
Simmo - agreed mate. Actually, I would like to see what the top 20 (or 100) songs from some of the forummers here would be. The gf and I did one before the list to compare music tastes, it's fun reliving some of the songs you haven't heard for ages. That list didn't do that for me.

Nuke

Staff member
I am surprised 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was only #6. It has countless times around the world been voted the greatest song of all time. I'll admit it's not my favourite Queen song ('The Show Must Go On' gets that title), but I do believe it is the greatest song ... if that makes sense.

I like 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', and I would maybe have it in the top10, but #1?
And I'm with whoever it was who said they can't stand 'Imagine' (sorry, I forget who it was who said that here). I cannot stand any beatles songs or any of their solo songs. I don't know why, but I cannot stand them at all. They make me wanna kick in my radio speakers.

That's the joy of the list. So much debate. BR isn't closest to my favourite Queen song, but I still damn love it. The list I made, "Who Wants To Live Forever" by Queen was my number four. F*cking love that song.

Nuke

Staff member
Agreed. I love that one too. In fact, I generally tend to rate Brian May's Queen songs (of which this is one) higher than Freddie Mercury's. 'Tie Your Mother Down' is another one of my favourite Brian songs.

mongoose

Coach
No female artists or female fronted bands, only "teardrop" by massibe attack ...LOL good work triple J

flamin

Juniors
Well its a station whose main audience is late Gen X/ early Gen Y so of course SLTS was going to be #1. The fact that 39 songs came from the 90s, 22 from the 00s while only 18 from the 60s and 70s combined speaks volumes.

Simo

First Grade
I spewed a little when that gay song killing in the name of was suggested as the 2nd hottest song of all time.

What is it aboout countdowns that make them so fun?

Simo

First Grade
If its a JJJ list, then definitely.

But this isnt a normal JJJ list, I dont recall them playing much of the beatles, pink flloy, rolling stones or even led zep....more mmm's style.

I will stand firm in my thoughts that that RATM song should be not even close.

Spud

Juniors
I am really surprised to not see any Alice in Chains on that list. I thought at least one of Nutshell, Rain When I Die, Rooster, Would?, Down in a Hole or Them Bones would get in. Also thought Nine Inch Nails were unlucky to have only Closer in there.

And farked if I know how Hilltop Hoods got in the top 20.

carcharias

Immortal
Yeah its gay but thats a debate for another thread (in fact was in another thread http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=312146)

Either way though you seriously think it should be anywhere near a top 10 of all time?

yes top 10...IMO top 5

Bloody awesome song....almost a perfect song.
Like Morello said... if you look up apesh*t in the dictionary they should have a pic of the RATM crowd at the end of this song.

Not many songs that rock out like this one.

Alex28

Coach
yes top 10...IMO top 5

Bloody awesome song....almost a perfect song.
Like Morello said... if you look up apesh*t in the dictionary they should have a pic of the RATM crowd at the end of this song.

Not many songs that rock out like this one.
Agreed - fully deserves to be up there with Smells Like Teen Spirit. Probably 2 songs that defined 90's alternate music.

Thomas

First Grade
It's so hard to pick the better song. So subjective...all the songs in the top 20 were/are great. If anything, the songs in the top 10, with the exception of Everlong (???), are there because they transcend the actual music.

Songs like Teen Spirit and Killing in the Name of came out when mainstream music was as bland as cornflakes. They defined a generation of people (my generation...X) with their anti-establishment lyrics and hard rocking sound. I get goosebumps whenever I hear the opening riffs to both of those songs purely because they remind me of a time when I was younger and angrier.

If one song really deserved to be higher it was Imagine. I was driving home with my wife and son from a BBQ and they announced it. Then we hear the interview with John Lennon recorded just hours before he was shot, saying how safe he felt in NY. We got home halfway through it but sat in the driveway listening to one of the most beautiful and perfect songs ever written.

Yeah...I had some dust in my eye.....

snoozer

Bench
But this isnt a normal JJJ list, I dont recall them playing much of the beatles, pink flloy, rolling stones or even led zep....more mmm's style.

I will stand firm in my thoughts that that RATM song should be not even close.

it's a typical jjj hot100oat list.every year they've done this(89,90,91,98)you get the same eclectic mix of classics,jjj classics and wtf's.

about the only song on that list that i think jjj wouldn't normally play is 'sweet child of mine'-i listen to jjj and you will(occasionally) get the likes of zep,floyd,stones etc.

you way out of line with your ratm stance.

Simo

First Grade
it's a typical jjj hot100oat list.every year they've done this(89,90,91,98)you get the same eclectic mix of classics,jjj classics and wtf's.

about the only song on that list that i think jjj wouldn't normally play is 'sweet child of mine'-i listen to jjj and you will(occasionally) get the likes of zep,floyd,stones etc.

you way out of line with your ratm stance.

Interesting, whenever I flick to the J's its normally to find an indie band or Aussie band that gets no air play elsewhere. I have a great amount of songs from luck flicking, hearing something that sounds cool, noting down the lyrics and then googling them.

Ive never heard a list like this one on JJJ before, but then again I am a radio flicker, will flick through the talk and crappy songs station to station til I find something I like and then start again.

Can you maybe tell me what is good about that ratm song?

Is it the annoying riff with the musical complexity of a fred durst song? (aarrgghh I can still hear my neighbour learning guitar to that crappy riff)

Or maybe the lyrical maturity of hanson present in the song:

mmm bop
bop bop
mmm bop
bop bop

f**k you i wont do what you tell me

They seem very similar in seeming cool to a 12 year old but other than that.....