What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You know something ?

OVP

Coach
I know its been 30-odd years since this great country has qualified for the biggest sporting event in the World's history ... but since we are going through the Asian zone during the next 4 years, i reckon it will be heaps more boring because i truly believe WE are better than most Asian countries, apart from Sth Korea and Japan. And i tell you what, we'd give those two countries a bit of "whothefarkareyou?".

This Asian zone qualifiers is the second best thing to happen to us in yonks ...apart from tonight of course.

But ... just ... think ... about it.

I reckon we'd be regulars in the WC ... look at UAE or Saudia Arabia last World cup ... both lost 8-0 to Brazil and Germany.

I cant see us losing 8-0 to anyone, can you ?

I think we'll do well at the WC finals. In fact, I think we'll do better than most people think.

We have one of the top guys running the squad, most of our players are based in Europe where the Finals are being played and after so many years of falling at the last hurdle, the determination will be huge.

A nice draw would help though... lol

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The best factor about Asia is REAL games more often.

The Australian public will get to see the team regualrily - unlike ever before.

chileman

Coach
OVP said:
This Asian zone qualifiers is the second best thing to happen to us in yonks ...apart from tonight of course.

But ... just ... think ... about it.

I reckon we'd be regulars in the WC ... look at UAE or Saudia Arabia last World cup ... both lost 8-0 to Brazil and Germany.
Jonny Warrens dream , to right OVP and I finally hold my head high when talking to my relatives in Sth America!

meltiger

First Grade
OVP said:

I cant see us losing 8-0 to anyone, can you ?

Brazil put heaps past us in the Confed Cup Final in 97 or 98 whenever it was (Can't remember if it was before or after the Iran games). 9 goals from memory? Can't remember precise score either (8 years is a long time!)

We drew the first time we played them ... They spanked us off the park in the final.

ASIA is stronger than people think.

meltiger

First Grade
I was wrong ... "while in the Final itself, the South Americans ran riot, putting six past the hapless Australians with no reply"

6 nil... Still, that's really no worse than 8 nil

perth sharkie

Juniors
I agree. We will be expected to qualify through the Asian zone, whereas currently we've always been underdogs. I didn't expect us to go through last night, but in 2010, it will be seen as failure if we don't qualify.

borat

Bench
Can anyone honestly beleive that our european contingent will happily fly back to Australia and Asia for the 10 or so qualifying games?

There will be excuses flying all over the place. Qualifying in Asia will be alot tougher than everyone thinks.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
borat said:
Can anyone honestly beleive that our european contingent will happily fly back to Australia and Asia for the 10 or so qualifying games?

There will be excuses flying all over the place. Qualifying in Asia will be alot tougher than everyone thinks.

That's exactly right, we should qualify most times but there will be many players making themselves unavailable for qualifying matches.. I heard talk that the idea was we would play the home qualifiers with Australian based players and the away matches with the overseas contingent.. This would make things very awkward.. We lag behind teams such as South Korea and Japan and Iran won't be easybeats either but should at least grab 4th spot or a place in a knockout qualifier v the third placed team from Concacaf..

Nuffs

Bench
borat said:

well then we'll get rid of the players that don't want to travel. easy

if last nights game doesn't fire the players up and make them want to play for Australia whenever we have a game, they shouldn't be wearing the jersey

Morenito

Juniors
After last night i doubt there would be many players at all not making themselves available for future qualifiers.

They know the rewards

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Morenito said:
After last night i doubt there would be many players at all not making themselves available for future qualifiers.

They know the rewards
Agreed. They have gaps in the regular season to accomodate international fixtures. Anyway, doesn't the qualifying campaign occur the year before the world cup, therefore once every four years?

This year's was good with 3 stages - the top 25 entering at the second stage. The top 25 would make it by playing 12 games while teams ranked 26-39 had to play 2 games to make it to the second stage. I think that there would be two main squads - one for stage 2 and another one for stage 3 if they made it there. The final stage had two groups of 4 with the top 2 going through to the WC. Third place play off for the half spot (from what I can gather).

It will be interesting to see if Asia gets 4.5 spots for 2010 or what the story will be. I guess we will just have to wait but I reckon it will be 4.5 again.

borat said:

Why wouldn't they come back here and play in them. FIFA sanctions World Cup qualifiers and there are no games in the European or Sth American leagues when World Cup Qualifiers are on.

Suspensions also apply to clubs not relaeasing players to World Cup qualifiers.

They came back for the Solomon Islands.

Also we will be in a transitional period when qualifying next time so we will be replacing some of the old guard.

Vidmar
Popovich
Possibly the Duke
Skoko perhaps.

So there will be opportunies for some young talent.

Raider Ultra

Bench
I cannot see them even considering not playing a full strength team for every Asian qualifier. The South Americans play 18 matches, with the vast majority of each team playing in Europe.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Whatever they do, I hope Hiddink is in charge. His knowledge of world football is apparently pretty bloody good so he would know what to do. It will definitely be of interest to me :)

The National side is the gateway to the rest of the country. Playing in games that count rather than silly matches against the Oceanic Islands that resulted in thumpings. There are some good sides in Asia.

Japan
China
North Korea

Will be hard. Even some of the other places will be hard on home soil. I can't wait till we play in Asia.

The key is, the Asian WC Qualifiers are played on international dates, so European players should come back to play, because it will be two weeks between club games.

Also I don't think Hiddink will be with Australia beyond the 2006 World Cup. It would be too hard for him to coach PSV and the Socceroos with us playing in Asia. Also it's not like we are paying him the best money in the world for someone like him.