What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You should not get beaten by 32 points, if you SCORE 32 points!

Noa

First Grade
You can do that already though, Storm have/had 4 NYC eligible players exclusively playing NSW cup this year.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't know how they're getting away with that. If I heard the story correctly, when NYC was initiated the Warriors wanted to keep 4-5 of their top U20s players in the Lions/Vulcans (NSW Premier League) but were ''guided'' to selecting those players in the Toyota Cup instead.

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos have been doing it since the initial season.

Storm was doing it too with Tolman.

Maybe the NZRL should just tell the ARL to f**k off?

Noa

First Grade
Really dont know how people external to an organisation can dictate selection policy, maybe it was meant for the start-up year only

Or maybe its the fact they've all played a season in NYC already. Certainly I dont think they'd do it to first year players unless theyre of the Inglis or Folau calibre. Reading the Big League today it said that we actually have a policy in place now that any NYC players being considered for top-grade must play several games in NSW Cup first to see if they're up to it.

Edited to add they are all members of the full-time squad so that may come into it as well.

Last edited:

Bluebag

Juniors
Do you expect scorelines that are any different given that some clubs are all 20 and others have 17 and 18 year olds, it is a shame over the years the league has gotten rid of Presidents Cup and 23's for this. There was once a gradual climb to FG now it is boom or bust if they dont make it at 21.

A lot of clubs get there promising 20's players to play a few State Cup games and test the water to see how they are really developing as they cannot trust the 20's alone unless a player is exceptional.

In a perfect world I'd like to see more of a US college system where the youngsters go to Uni and play and the clubs can scrap the under 20's but instead take on reserve grade. Not sure about the finer points but it's just a broad idea.

I was talking about that 70-32 game between Newcastle and Canberra in...I think it was 2006.

What was the Roosters/Cowboys score a few years ago when it pissed down rain in Sydney all weeked, 60-odd to 30-odd can't quite remember. Amazing considering the conditions and I think it was the same weekend as the Penrith/Souffs game which was something like 8-6 and maybe even the St George/Parramatta game which was 2-1 at one point.

I can remember 64-32 for that one as well as the TC one previously mentioned.
Only time I've ever seen us hit 60 haha.

Timbo

Staff member
If I recall correctly, that Canberra/Newcastle game was played in Canberra, Round 1 in something like 38 degree heat. All the forwards were stuffed after about ten minutes and the little blokes cut the opposition in half. They just had better backs than us that day.

It really can't be compared to the NYC's constant blowouts.

footynut1

Juniors
nyc blowouts? one of the fox sports footy shows showed the actual stats last year and there was a dif of 12 points per game more in the nyc... thats one converted try each team scores per game more than nrl..
just had a quick look to see and yes
nrl first 5 rounds 2010 av 42 points q cup av 43 and nyc av 54... so that would say the stats from fox spts is bang on

Last edited:

Latest posts