What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You

League_God

Juniors
I've been posting on these forums for roughly 4 years or so and I'm just curious as to what you guys do for a living, how old you are and what got you supporting the mighty knights!

I feel like i know a lot of you...but really i dont know what you look like, or anything about you other than you are all passionate knights supporters.

Im 19 and Im a student at Newcastle Uni, i was living in Condobolin until i was 9 then I moved to Newy. Never really watched footy, (loved playing it) until the year i moved...which was the year Newcastle won the premiership. Ever since then i have been a massive league fan.

perverse

Referee
i'm 25 and look like a busted arse. i work for a company called Nimbler Creative, which i helped establish, as a Web Developer but am slowly shifting into Project Management.

i was born in Newcastle but raised from the age of 3 through to 15 in a town called Lightning Ridge in central northern NSW. i've always supported the Knights as i knew that Newcastle was my motherland. i've never lived in the same house for more than a few of years, and as a result am quite nomadic in nature as an adult. i rarely feel comfortble in any particular dwelling or job for more than a few years. i thrive on change. i lived in a total of 5 dwellings over 12 years at the Ridge and have lived in many many more since. i only recently discovered that this was actually unusual after listening to many of my mates reminisce about their childhood homes over a few drinks.

my favourite foods are either crumbed lamb cutlets with gravy or my mothers cheese and spinach pie. my favourite music at the moment includes Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica and Shadow Gallery... amongst other bands. i've been really into progressive rock and metal for quite a long time now, and am now discovering the wonders of power metal.

my primary interests outside of music and football are generally technology related. i turned nerd at 14 years of age when i had a serious accident and required a knee reconstruction. proper rehab and physio was never undertaken - likely due to living in a remote backwater town - and as such my left leg causes me problems to this day. i keep telling myself that i will go to the gym and try and build the strength back up in that leg, but i never do it.

i am an avid gamer, and my name is well known and respected in gaming circles around town as one of the "old school". the majority of my social network and friends were met through competitive gaming (or eSports). i was particularly talented at Counter-Strike, leading my team - random. Suspects - to the state finals at one point - representing our area (pretty poorly, i must confess). none of us had the dedication to take it further after the towelling we received that weekend, unfortunately, and as such we have remained a social clan - and we still dust off the keyboards and compete every now and then for old times sake. despite getting towelled in the NSW finals, it was a privelidge to play against some of the best in the country. the 6 or 7 boys that were/are in that clan with me remain my best friends to this day. i still address my best mate by his alias and not his real name - thrax. gaming is a very large portion of my life, although i don't get to do anywhere near as much of it as i would like to anymore. i sorely wish my life allowed me the time to compete again...

my first name - as printed on my birth certificate - is Ronnie. not Ronald, not Ron, Ronnie. i am the man of a zillion nicknames. my current favourites are Rondog - this one seemed to pop up in several different social circles of mine at once - and "ronovit", as in "wodovit", as in "what of it?". past favourites include many plays on my last name. the only nickname i have ever given myself is "perverse". i was born on the same day as my father (November 25th), 5 weeks premature. the only other person i have met that can claim this phenomenon was my ex-best mate (who is sadly no longer with us). a creepy coincidence we held in common.

i feel that i don't open my mouth unless i'm certain of what i want to say, yet have been accused of never shutting up.

that's me in a nutshell. you'd have to ask those who know me for a more accurate account. i often feel the person who knows me the least is myself.

Last edited:

League_God

Juniors
Wow, i feel like i should add to my post now lol

I have been going to the gym regularly since i was about 17, I love the feeling of being fit and strong. I am secretly a very, very competitive person, it doesn't matter if it' a game of chess or a game of tennis. I'd like to think im not the annoying competitive type, that's why i say 'secretly' im a competitive person because i despise people who cheat and kick up a hissy-fit if they lose. I have a massive family, on my mothers side they are all Aboriginal as am I, though I'm white-skinned. My father's side live a crazy lifestyle. My cousin is basically a prodigy heavyweight boxer currently being trained by Johnny Lewis, my other cousin on my father's side is a singer you might know as Shannon Noll, another is a Fight Night promoter. They all love sport and I'm the same. I live and breathe music, i love most genres. I play the piano though I'm certainly not amazing at it. I have wanted to join the crusade along with one of my mates but just haven't got around to it...this year is the year though.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Electrician/Communications Engineer/Retained Firefighter

Grw up in Wollongong but my grandparents lived in Maitland and visited Newy quite often. Been following the Knights since '88

Last edited:
I'm 29 and I'm a professional student at the moment. I'll explain that in a minute.

I live in Maitland with my fiancee and we are expecting out first child, a boy, who is at this moment 6 days overdue. We have been together for 3 and a half years and are getting married in November. It was be an LU wedding of sorts, with a very regular poster (I won't name him... hate to embarrass the poor bloke) being my best man, another regular lurker who never posts (mainly because he is a lazy bum) being my groomsman, and numerous other posters on the guest list.

This is not so unusual when it is considered that I am a foundation member of the Knights Cusade, and that I met my future wife, and many of the people I consider my best mates, at the footy. It is one of the many things in my life that I owe to rugby league. I went to my first Knights game, which happened to be THE first Knights game, in 1988 with my Dad and it changed my life. The day, whenever it may fall this year, when I take my son to his first game will be one of the best days of my life.

Now back to the 'professional student' thing. I am a teacher with the NSW Dept of Education, primary trained but working mainly in high schools. The two schools where I have spent the most time are Hunter Sports High School and Cessnock High School, which are both fantastic schools (albeit for differnt reasons) where I enjoyed myself immensely. I have always found myself working with what you might politically correctly call the 'less academically gifted' classes, and a move into special education seemed a natural progression. I love working with kids with disabilities - I got into teaching because I love helping kids, and working with the kids that need the most help of all is awesome. I applied for a DET schoarship to do my Masters in Special Education last year and after an exhaustive interview process, I got it! So the Dept are paying me this year to trek to the University of Sydney to get a Masters degree (as long as I promise to go back and be a special ed teacher when I finish). Hence, I'm a professional student.

So yeah, that's me.

Cool idea for a thread btw... I like learning about the people behind the usernames.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm 27 and just returned to South Korea for a third year of teaching. I was in Sydney for 2010 with a beautiful American girl, but we decided to go our separate ways a month ago. She's now back in the States and I've just moved to Busan - Korea's second largest city.

I was one of the founders of the Crusade during my eighteen months living in Newcastle, and I have a Bachelor of Arts from UNE in Armidale. I travel a lot and write about it at http://www.aussieontheroad.com

Pika

Bench

Born Dungog on a Dairy farm.

Grew up Warkworth on a Dairy Farm.

Footy in summer and cricket in winter. Liked to tackle could not catch. Bad at cricket and was going nowhere with Footy.

Took up boxing insted. Won some but got hit a lot. Going nowhere with boxing.

Took up judo but hated the pyjamas. Going nowhere with Judo.

Took up wrestling. Loved it.

Moved to Newcastle in '93.

Kept wrestling.

Got married in '96.

Had kids.

Kept wrestling.

Started with Knights end of '06.

Still wrestling and weight training.

Still cant catch.

Jono078

Referee

Started following the Knights the night of 2001 Grand Final. I was living in Wentworthville at the time (next closest suburb to Parramatta) and everyone was obviously going for the Eels, but me being from Newcastle was going for the Knights and I enjoyed the banter leading up to the game and being the only happy person in the suburb at the conclusion of the game :D

First memory of the Knights is also the 1997 grand final me, mum and my cousin were walking back home from Garden City in Kotara and then all of a sudden we just heard all these loud screams coming from every household and that was the moment Darren Albert touched down no doubt.

This year I'm in good spirits, much more social and happy with life than the past few years. Funny thing is turning 21 I kinda felt like life was downhill from there and that I was getting old. But since then life has been better than ever. 2010 was the best year I've had in a long time as far has enjoying life and having fun goes.

With 2011 I look to build upon that. I've already achieved so much, under the 100kg mark for first time in several years. Lost about 7kg since August and slowly continuing to go down.

Hoping to ace my TAFE course again this year and then hopefully that can be followed by a nice holiday to Vancouver, Canada. I havn't bee on a holiday in 8 years so I'm very much looking forward to that. I just applied for my passport a few days ago, so I'm excited to get it back and be free to travel when I feel like it :)

i was born in Newcastle but raised from the age of 3 through to 15 in a town called Lightning Ridge in central northern NSW

I saw a documentry about lightning ridge once. Pretty much followed some bogan and his dog around his dingy opal mining site. Then last year my 'grey nomad' parents went there on a trip and went down some old mine shaft tour and enjoyed it.

Anyway...

I'm 26 in the Air Force as a medic, been in for about six years now and I am based at Amberley.

When I was a young fella I supported the Broncos and loved Alfie Langer as most of my family on mum's side were Broncos fans. As I got a bit older I started to spend some time with cousins on Dad's side of the family who all reside in Newcastle.. It was around 1995 or 1996 when I took an interest in the knights, wasn't until 97 when i became obsessed.

roopy

Referee
The funniest thing that ever happened through one of these threads was that I saw the surname of a forum member and it was a rare name that i've only ever seen once before, as the surname of my great, great grandmother.
I asked the forum member about their family history, and we were able to establish we are both descended from a convict who was transported in 1831 and an irish orphan who came out as a 16 year old girl to marry a convict.
Basically, we are about 6th cousins.

macavity

Referee
30 here.

Newie born and bred.

Was a Bulldogs fan as a kid (pre-Knights)... sat on Dad's lap at the first ever Knights game (Herald Challenge v Manly) as a seven year old... been a Knights supporter ever since.

With two others, I organise the Knights Crusade now - both because I am a bit of a natural organiser and I love making things happen. It can be a pain in the arse and sometimes I wonder why I bother, but we have grown slowly every year and the club really appreciate it, so I find it generally rewarding. I have also met some of my best mates through the footy - I can't think of many things more enjoyable than singing the victory song with your mates after a win.

I did a business/law double degree at Newcastle Uni and up until a week ago I was working as a solicitor. I didn't hate it that much, but it wasn't really for me. I can be serious when I need to be, but generally I am a pretty light hearted guy - that doesn't really suit the legal profession. I have a tendency to say what I think (I have been called blunt..) and in my last job I had a run in with my psychopath boss when I showed her that she was wrong (not a good move). After that I was screwed around big time.

A week ago I quit my job to start a business - a pet supplies store. I have been planning it out for the past few months. I am in the set-up stage at the moment, the store should open probably in late March. All very exciting and stressful! It is going to be heaps of hard work and some very long hours. While there are no guarantees, I am quietly confident it is going to work out well. I am currently in Melbourne doing some industry training, but can't wait to get back to Newie.

I am batting way above average - my wife is intelligent, beautiful, blonde, 6ft tall (lucky I am near 6'2) and an awesome cook to boot! I love that she is both supportive and challenging at the same time. She is always challenging me to be a better person and go out of my comfort zone, which I definately need.

No kids yet, we would love to start a family but they are probably a few years away for us. Instead we have the most spoilt (and gorgeous) German Shepherd.

I played footy and basketball as a kid/teen, and would love to play bball again if I can work it into my schedule.

I had a bad back injury in 2005, I could hardly move for a few years, was off my chops on pain killers most of the time, got really depressed, and put on a heap of weight - I blew out to 125kg of blubber. Over the past 2 years I have hit the gym hard, lost 20kg and put on a fair bit of muscle. I still have about 10kg to lose (and am still pushing for strength and bulk gains), but I feel fantastic (even my back) and now find the gym really addictive.

Phew, just realised I have written an essay. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
24, studying an advanced diploma of engineering at TAFE whilst working as an NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) Technician (basically I test the integrity of welds and metals using a variety of surface and subsurface techniques, specializing in Industrial Radiography). Live with my girlfriend of 1 year, and am a huge Knights (circa 2001) and Pittsburgh Steelers (circa 2005) fan.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
24, born and bred novocastrian. Currently a part-time journo for News Limited (I know, I'm sorry) with an A-League magazine (apologies again), would love to get into the rugby league side at some stage. Obviously very sport-oriented, live with my girlfriend of six years.

As for the Knights part of it, first game I went to was when I was about 18 months (maybe two years) old. Got thrown over the turnstiles at halftime and sat on dad's lap for 40 minutes. Been reliably informed I wasn't like most two-year-olds at the footy that get bored after about 30 seconds. Sat with my eyes glued to the field for the second forty. Not much has changed :lol:

Pika

Bench
30 here.
Over the past 2 years I have hit the gym hard, lost 20kg and put on a fair bit of muscle. I still have about 10kg to lose (and am still pushing for strength and bulk gains), but I feel fantastic (even my back) and now find the gym really addictive.

Phew, just realised I have written an essay. Sorry about that!

Conservative estimate at best fatty.

IanG

Coach
30 year old grew up in Newcastle

I'm a Storeman at a retail outlet

Been a Knights supporter from Day 1