What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young makes Australian team

dragon_around

Juniors
Centres Matt Cooper and Mark Gasnier have been over looked for Willie Tonga, Brent Tate and Chris Lawrence.

lolwtf?

Lawrence fair enough, definitely has a huge future in rep sides. But honestly, Tonga and Tate?

DB

First Grade
Gasnier didn't deserve it.... cooper could be hard done by.

Congrats also to Boyd and B Moz for making the squad aswell.

boo_boo

Juniors
Dean Young's selection deserves to be applauded.
Dave Taylors non selection in the team is hard to accept.
Overall a good squad that will take some beating.

kingcarney

Juniors
Gasnier didnt really deserve it, and I think Creagh and Coopers origin performances have probably hindered any further rep selection. Then when you consider Weyman was ineligible, Nightingale & Smith play for the other side, it becomes a bit more apparent. I think Dean Youngs probably a bit lucky to get there, hes good, but I just am not sure where his place in the squad leads him. I think he will play a game vs PNG, but wont see any further action.

hardbaby

Coach
I was amazed by Young's selection. Great footy player and the heart and soul of the Dragons but wouldn't make the Blues as either a backrower or a hooker. I guess his versatility got him over the line. Stoked for him.

I knew Morris and Boyd would be selected but thought one of the Dragons centres would get there. There are so many three quarters out - Inglis, Folau (AFL), Hodges, Jennings. Are we really saying our boys aren't in the top 8 centres?

Nightingale should finally knock Perrett off one wing and Smith will be there. So it's a good bonus for our lads.

dragonfan1

Juniors
Gasnier didnt really deserve it, and I think Creagh and Coopers origin performances have probably hindered any further rep selection. Then when you consider Weyman was ineligible, Nightingale & Smith play for the other side, it becomes a bit more apparent. I think Dean Youngs probably a bit lucky to get there, hes good, but I just am not sure where his place in the squad leads him. I think he will play a game vs PNG, but wont see any further action.

What about Costigan? I thought he was deserving of a place although there is a lot of competition in the front/back row. Or is he pledging his allegiance with PNG like he did in the World Cup?

Meth

Staff member
Not trolling here, but Young doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a Kangaroo jersey. If they were going to throw a bone at the Dragons for their success, it should have been Cooper- the competition for the centre spot is not as stiff.

a_che

Juniors
Good stuff, congratulations to Deano. Hope he ends up getting a game!

And to those who reckon he doesn't deserve to be there, well he works as hard as a Dallas Johnson and Ashley Harrison but with more attacking skill in him. He absolutely deserves to be there.

And well done to Bmoz, Boyd, and surely Smith and Nightingale for NZ.

nadine

Juniors
Congrats to Darius, Brett and Dean. So happy for Dean, especially after the injuries he had, it's a thoroughly deserved honour.

TheRev

First Grade
Yeah I agree with most of this post, to me Cooper, Gasnier, Young, Costigan, Soward, Weyman etc.. none of them are the players you pick for an Australian side, they are really solid 1st grade players with plenty of ticker, but there are better 'individual' players in the league. The Dragons side is a Champion Team, not the other way around.

Cooper possibly the only exception, but as mentioned he lost his chance in those 2 Origin games this year, a real shame because he was so dangerous at club level.

Gasnier should be back in 2011, but right now, he needs an off-season to get his speed and touch back, im hoping we see him back to his best in 2011.