What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NRL controversial take

yobbo84

Coach
Mid field kicking game is as important as long kicking and short kicking.

By this I mean kicks between the forty metre lines which aren't intended to be directly contested by an attacking player.

The ability to land the ball five metres in from touch and five metres from the try line can set up the next ten minutes of play for the kicking team.

An isolated winger can easily result in the kick return set only making it to the thirty. Alternatively a mid field floating bomb or similar can cause issues for wingers with catching issues.

Ben Hunt and Mitchell Moses both seem to have very ordinary mid field kicking games which consist of a basic easily caught bomb.

Moses in particular gave away the 2022 GF by kicking a nothing bomb direct to Edwards in the seventeenth minute. His team were always odds on to lose but he kicked away the game then and there.
We've missed this enormously since Reyno left. He's probably the best in the game at it with Cleary.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Parra to Darwin … make it happen
Would be nice but unfortunately the AFL want a team in Darwin after taking over that marketing haven in Tassie. I'd love to be in one of their meetings with their sponsors, how they spin wanting more money, now they have Tassie and potentially Darwin on board.

As long as Baldy, Gutho and Mitch are there, they can stay put for the laughs.

Colk

First Grade
But but Vlandys says we have enough talent for 3 more teams...

Not with the current system we don’t. You need a draft or something else on top of the salary cap if we are going to expand.

I have particularly grave concerns for a PNG side. Regional clubs like Canberra, Newcastle and Cowboys struggle to recruit first grade players, how the hell are PNG going to recruit anybody?

Canard

Immortal
Would be nice but unfortunately the AFL want a team in Darwin after taking over that marketing haven in Tassie. I'd love to be in one of their meetings with their sponsors, how they spin wanting more money, now they have Tassie and potentially Darwin on board.

As long as Baldy, Gutho and Mitch are there, they can stay put for the laughs.
I'm pretty sure even the AFL aren't keen on Darwin, that's just some Darwin based cooked units.

MugaB

Coach
As long as you don't put the receiver in a dangerous position you should be able to contest a ball that it's in the air whilst the receiver is leaping off the ground. It should be a proper contest.

40/20's should be allowed at any part of the field, as long as the ball lands in the opposition half uncontested before going out, whilst also going at least 40 metres. It adds a legitimate kicking attack tactic that isn't just kicking on the last tackle.

5 minute sin bins for lower tier issues.
10 minute sin bins or penalties, 5 minute sin bins won't work, players need harsher deterants or they'll keep flauting the rules 5 minutes is nothing it's like 2 sets, teams can defend for that long, 10 mins most teams crumble

Reflector

Juniors
This may be all true but the solution proposed - allow anyone to play Origin - is completely wrong.

I'm happy for the International game to rise and overtake Origin. But Origin can still be kept 'pure' in this landscape.
Under my proposal, the concept would become even more 'pure' than it has been for the past decade or so.

But I'll talk more on that in a new thread shortly...

skeepe

Immortal
V’Landys, widely regarded as a great administrator, is in fact killing the game.

The constant tinkering to make the game faster has broken players, resulting in a spate of soft tissue injuries.

The 6 again rule is an abomination.

If he brings in PNG as the 18th team as is widely mooted, it will be the single stupidest decision in the history of sports administration anywhere in the world and will be the death of rugby league.

Colk

First Grade
V’Landys, widely regarded as a great administrator, is in fact killing the game.

The constant tinkering to make the game faster has broken players, resulting in a spate of soft tissue injuries.

The 6 again rule is an abomination.

If he brings in PNG as the 18th team as is widely mooted, it will be the single stupidest decision in the history of sports administration anywhere in the world and will be the death of rugby league.

PNG will just be another side that can’t possibly ever win a competition. Actually it could be multitudes worse because nobody in their right mind will play for them.

MugaB

Coach
PNG will just be another side that can’t possibly ever win a competition. Actually it could be multitudes worse because nobody in their right mind will play for them.
That's sounds like the take on wests tigers about 4 years ago, then they were able to sign Api korasau along with some other players, and are slowly building better every season... you're sounding very defeatist

Latest posts