What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Saturday Night

SirShire

First Grade
How did most of you spend your saturday night? If anyone saw a white Nissan Exa get pulled over by the coppers out the front of Northies, it was me and my mates. Its an offence to drive with your spotters on.

Shark

Bench
Ahh yes, the spotters. What's the fine these days Salmon?

It's also an offence to have those highly dangerous and lethal 'lit up' wiper sqirters, and the neon 'hey, look at me everybody' neon running lights under your vehicle. And don't get me started on the subwoofers...

Yet, you can kill two people travelling in the boot of a vehicle and get let off by a weak-arsed magistrate at a committal hearing!

Ahh, Australia. Gotta love it.

shadowboxer

First Grade
yeah real classy comment shark. You can also be rene rivkin and get away with whatever you like. The probem is the girl driving the car will live with the incident forever whereas mr rivkin will live with himself for the rest of his days with his mega riches no problem at all or no concious at all

Shark

Bench
Don't get me wrong Shadow, I know the anguish is often considered to be a greater punishment than any judicial penalty, but the fact is if the driver of that car was some low-middle class kid from Blacktown, he or she would have got hammered.

In any case, 8 people were responsible for the deaths of those two boys, two of the 8 are dead, charges were only levelled at one of the 8, and five of the 8 (including the two who owned the car and/or arranged to drive it in the first place) escape any form of formal penalty.

I was interviewed on 2UE on Friday afternoon about this matter, as I am a published researcher and practitioner of young driver issues and behaviours. I stated that all 6 survivors should have been charged with something akin to 'Conduct Endangering Life', as they were all (according to the Magistrate) equal in their culpability.

In my professional opinion, for what it's worth, the cops would be better off spending their time targeting blatant high-risk behaviour, instead of wasting time nailing Salmon and his mates for a having a couple of light bulbs on their vehicle switched on. Go track down the drag racers, the 'party taxis' (like the Ingleside incident), the circle workers, and leave the lads showing off by cruising the main at 30 km/h alone. They're not gonna kill anyone doing laps around Northies, nor are they gonna kill anyone with a couple of $10 light bulbs. If they venture away from the built-up areas, keep an eye on them sure. But pulling them up outside a pub for having some lights on? Ph-lease!

Shark

Bench
shadowboxer said:
mr rivkin will live with himself for the rest of his days with his mega riches no problem at all or no concious at all

Yeah, I know the world would be a better place without the Renes of the world, but if he's gone, then another will take his place.

And, Rene's dodgy stock market deals don't directly result in the loss of human life. Bit like Pauline Hanson. Yet they get locked up, but people who make decisions that result in death get off. Something's wrong there.

fatshark

Bench
Don't get me wrong Shadow, I know the anguish is often considered to be a greater punishment than any judicial penalty, but the fact is if the driver of that car was some low-middle class kid from Blacktown, he or she would have got hammered.
Too true, the kid should of been slapped a hefty fine and disqualified for driving for many years. The parents of the party should also of been fined for neglect. I dont feel sorry for her at all.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I am totally amazed that young woman got off scot free. She was the driver. She lost control. You can't blame the condition of the road. If that were the case it would not be safe to ever venture onto the road. You drive to the conditions.

I remember a relative once blaming the fog for running into a milk truck one early morning.

I agree. The female magistrate was weak.

SirShire

First Grade
Don't know what the fine was. The copper let us off. The weird thing was that we predicted that he would pull us over!!

As for the neons, we only had em going on the inside.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Gunna Matter said:
I am totally amazed that young woman got off scot free. She was the driver. She lost control. You can't blame the condition of the road. If that were the case it would not be safe to ever venture onto the road. You drive to the conditions.

I remember a relative once blaming the fog for running into a milk truck one early morning.

I agree. The female magistrate was weak.

It wasn't her fault that people died. It was those two boys' stupidity for going in the boot, and it's a disgrace that the parents were blind of their sons' stupidity and trying to have her charged for manslaughter.

Shark

Bench
Ahh, Tamazoid...Make sure brain is engaged before putting Mouth into Gear, mate.

The parents of the dead boys are PLEASED that she was let off, they never wanted her charged in the first place.

But, I do agree that the boys are at fault, at least as much as anyone else in the car. As with almost ALL serious crashes involving young people, dumb decisions killed these guys, not any lack of driving ability or bad roads or faulty vehicle, etc etc.

Also remember, the girl driving was NOT the owner of the car, nor was she the designated driver. The owner had planned to get pissed, her friend was supposed to drive, the friend also got pissed, so the only person sober ended up driving.

I also agree with Fatshark, the hosts of the party need to have a good look at themselves.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Salmon and his mates were let off, just goes to show that there are some cops out there with a bit of a brain and who understand the value of a bit of good PR among our younger road users.

Morpheus

Juniors
Perhaps Tama, but when one holds a licence in this state, that person is RESPONSIBLE for what goes on in that car and how it is driven, who gets in,
how many people get in, if the passengers are wearing seat belts, etc etc.

I know it's very harsh for the young lady and no one believes she wished any harm to those in her car, of course she did not and it was a terrible accident, but the PRIVELAGE of holding a licence means at the end of the day, the buck stops with the driver.

Yes the lads were silly to get in the boot, but they paid the ultimate price for their poor decision.

Quint

Juniors
Hey Shark! Just read your comment at the start of this thread and could'nt read on any further because of my rage...
i asked you not to return if you have'nt changed your attitude and then you go and say something like this
Yet, you can kill two people travelling in the boot of a vehicle and get let off by a weak-arsed magistrate at a committal hearing!
Even the boys Mothers understand why the court made it's decision..Kids do silly things,sometimes with tradgic results .
If the poor girl in question were your daughter would you be screaming for a life sentence....I think not. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anonymous

Juniors
Chill out on the anger Schooner... We're not too keen on current affairs type topics creeping into the footy forums, but if they're going to stay here we're going to all have to debate the issue at hand without getting overly personal. Play the ball, not the man, eh?

shit happens
those boys knew what they were in for when they hopped in the boot
i've ridden in a boot and vowed never again, i've never been so scared in my life, even if it was just a few blocks
that girl got pressured into it and the judge made the right decision

anyway my night...well tonight is sunday
but i've been at the cricket
had about a thousand drinks, a lot of funny jokes were made, then to the scubar to try pick up some hot backpackers but there werent many there, so just came home and yelled out the window of the car with a megaphone...anyone who was out the front of fusion and copped it, it was me, youre a bum

no im quite coherent but still babbling, where's my bib? i'm dribbling

The Popper

Bench
I'm with you, SS. A most unfortunate incident. Even the boy's parents supported the girl, it seems. That poor girl is going to have to live with it for the rest of her life.

SirShire

First Grade
ShireShark said:
sh*t happens
those boys knew what they were in for when they hopped in the boot
i've ridden in a boot and vowed never again, i've never been so scared in my life, even if it was just a few blocks
that girl got pressured into it and the judge made the right decision

anyway my night...well tonight is sunday
but i've been at the cricket
had about a thousand drinks, a lot of funny jokes were made, then to the scubar to try pick up some hot backpackers but there werent many there, so just came home and yelled out the window of the car with a megaphone...anyone who was out the front of fusion and copped it, it was me, youre a bum

no im quite coherent but still babbling, where's my bib? i'm dribbling

Thanks SS for bringing the subject back to what it was intented for!!

We all know the both the girls and the families are going to feel the heartache of the 2 deaths for ever, and both, in one way or another were at fault. but the decision has been made and there is nothing we can do to change it.

Now lets all drive around Cronulla with our spotters on ;)

Shark

Bench
Schooner of New, I'll assume your diatribe is due to you being still hungover from celebrating the birth of of your new child, and the tidal wave of emotion that flows from such an event.

Read all of my comments again - in their entirety this time - and THEN come back here and tell me I'm some piece of excrement. Better still, come to work with me for a few days.

sharknows

Bench
I think Salmon should have been locked up and disqualified for 10 years - I am an expert on spot lights - I've been looking at them for years