What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team by outstanding performance

Lenny_2212

Juniors
Kennedy - 2001 GF v Eels
Mundine - 99 PF v Sharks
Gasnier - 2005 2 weeks ago v Roosters
Roy Asotasi - more than one game this season.
Webcke - 2005 (when origin players were missing. V Canberra i think?

weasel

First Grade
perverse said:
joey should be in there for the knights match vs. the roosters in 2001. can't remember which one.. but he got completely knocked out coming into a tackle in the first 10 minutes... stumbled up the field a while in a complete daze... went on the score 3 tries and kick nearly every goal. it was by far the most amazing display from a player i've ever seen. i'm pretty sure the roosters went in as favourites too.

if anyone can find a match report or anything on this game it would be appreciated, i've had a quick look around but can't find it.. hell im not even sure it was 2001, but im sure someone else around here remembers that game.

I think you might be referring to his performance in Newcastle's 46-12 win over the Roosters in 2000. Got a hat-trick and absolutely dominated. Newcastle were very unlucky that year, played the best football of any team that season when on song, and scored the most tries but were too inconsistent. Looked in good form in the finals too, until forty minutes of madness in the prelminary final after the game looked over, they were a better side than Easts that year and could have beaten the Broncos in the GF. Shame.

thuganomics

Coach
weasel said:
I think you might be referring to his performance in Newcastle's 46-12 win over the Roosters in 2000. Got a hat-trick and absolutely dominated. Newcastle were very unlucky that year, played the best football of any team that season when on song, and scored the most tries but were too inconsistent. Looked in good form in the finals too, until forty minutes of madness in the prelminary final after the game looked over, they were a better side than Easts that year and could have beaten the Broncos in the GF. Shame.

He got knocked out in the 2001 Quarter final against The roosters when he got a heavy head knock and scored a great indivisual try.
I think thats the one he is talking about.

perverse

Referee
weasel said:
yeah i was wondering if it was that year... *sigh*
freddy "stole" that prelim... thats what great palyers do though. it would have been quite a GF if it were knights vs. broncos that year...

Mr Saab

Referee
loved that 2000 prelim....johns was very pi$$ed off and was not a happy boy at the 80th min mark. slamming his mouthguard to the ground...shaking players hands with venom!

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
loved that 2000 prelim....johns was very pi$$ed off and was not a happy boy at the 80th min mark. slamming his mouthguard to the ground...shaking players hands with venom!
as you would be after leading at half time and your team having a complete collapse in the second half which was sparked by an intercept try by freddy fittler.

i think showing your emotions on the football field is a great thing.. there was a bit of "thats poor sportsmanship" from some of the community after that "incident".. however i think it just shows how passionate a player is about the game.

im sure you loved every second of it charlie, we're all aware of your anti-johns attitude :p .. however i think everyone did agree that year (and the grand final showed it) that it would have been a better spectacle if it were knights vs. broncos, especially because in that era (between 97 and 2001 ironically) they were certainly the more exciting teams to watch, and played some of the most unbelievable football at times.

Mr Saab

Referee
johns does play with passion, no question, but sometimes it lets him down....like 2001 vs the sharks. His team were down, he was frustrated, so he elbows Dykes and loses the Dally M award.
Brisbane proved they were the best team of 2000 because they made and won the GF.

thuganomics

Coach
perverse said:
im sure you loved every second of it charlie, we're all aware of your anti-johns attitude :p .. however i think everyone did agree that year (and the grand final showed it) that it would have been a better spectacle if it were knights vs. broncos, especially because in that era (between 97 and 2001 ironically) they were certainly the more exciting teams to watch, and played some of the most unbelievable football at times.

Instead we got the most boring ever Grand final in 2000.

Mr Saab

Referee
Thug...blame the knights for blowing a 16 point half time lead in the prelim for the boring 2000 GF.

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
johns does play with passion, no question, but sometimes it lets him down....like 2001 vs the sharks. His team were down, he was frustrated, so he elbows Dykes and loses the Dally M award.
Brisbane proved they were the best team of 2000 because they made and won the GF.
yeah that was extremely unfortunate, and you're right, it can work against you... but thats what league.. sport in general is supposed to be about. representing your area.. zone.. city.. country.. whatever, with pride and passion.
unfortunately those days are numbered.
it has been nice to see that he hasn't lost his cool like that since 2001... i would say he learnt a valuable lesson over that incident, and he probably matured a lot as a result of it. silver lining to every dark cloud i suppose :)

but yeah back on topic.. once again im sh*t with dates, but mad dog probably deserves a mention for a particular origin he played in aiming up against sailor. it was always great seeing these 2 bulky wingers clash, but this particular game mad dog didnt just get over the top of sailor.. he demolished him. the highlight of the game was defiantely sailor running up to macdougall, macdougall snatching the ball straight out of his arms, and running the rest of the field to score, probably one of the most personally satisfying tries of his career. it was a great game for him, and i'm nearly positive he scored a try or 2 more that game. i could be wrong..

not trying to push all these knights into this team, im more just reminiscing about these big games from individual players.. and as a knights fan they tend to stick out in my mind more. trying not to be biased :D

perverse

Referee
thuganomics said:
Instead we got the most boring ever Grand final in 2000.
lol, yep.
i've written about this extensively in another thread thats going at the moment.. lol

Mr Saab

Referee
for mine it was darren lockyer showing his class in 1998 vs the knights.
It was billed as the "superbowl"...friday night game.
Lockyer showed all the maturity in the world for a 20 yr old and helped demolish the knights and stamp the bronco dominace.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
for mine it was darren lockyer showing his class in 1998 vs the knights.
It was billed as the "superbowl"...friday night game.
Lockyer showed all the maturity in the world for a 20 yr old and helped demolish the knights and stamp the bronco dominace.

Must be the first and last time he's showed class against the Knights ;-)

Raider_69 said:
Paul 'Ossie' Osbourne for his 94 GF display :D

Ossie actually had his best ever game, an IMO the best ever game by a front rower ever against Canterbury on a Saturday arvo at Kogarah back in about 1989-90, Saints won 32-2 and Ossie was unstoppable, literally. I wouldn't nominate Ossie on his 94GF performance, 2 brilliant passes isn't justification enough. On the Canterbury game he would be first picked (Does anyone remember it? Ricky Walford scored all the points except for a try by Ossie).

But much to my behest, Tawera Nikau won the game in the Second half for the Storm in 99. He should be in the squad.