What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Thoughts On SOO 1

possm

Coach
I was a little disapointed in the team leadership last night. On-field organisation when NSW was under pressure was also a problem.

I felt that NSW should have taken a shot at field goal much ealier than they did. There was ample opportunity and it should have been taken by one of the halves.

However, the more concerning thing was the way NSW lost it's way in the second half and the poor defensive reads made by NSW's outside backs.

BennyV

Referee
The whole backline, other than JMoz and Dugan, showed to be a bunch of plodders. This crap about picking people based purely on incumbency is balls - Tupou and Hopoate are plodders, Pearce has failed time and time again at origin level and Hodkinson/Jennings havent played a decent game this year. There are plenty of in form halves and outside backs to choose from, I dont understand the selection policy.

And don't get me started on the game plan and use of interchange bench.

Mr Red

First Grade
The whole backline, other than JMoz and Dugan, showed to be a bunch of plodders. This crap about picking people based purely on incumbency is balls - Tupou and Hopoate are plodders, Pearce has failed time and time again at origin level and Hodkinson/Jennings havent played a decent game this year. There are plenty of in form halves and outside backs to choose from, I dont understand the selection policy.

And don't get me started on the game plan and use of interchange bench.

agree with most of what you have said except for the jennings part. i think with smart halves giving Jennings some clean, early ball he would have made a few breaks for sure.. i wrote the below in another thread which is pretty much inline with most of your thoughts:

"Hodkinson was a disgrace. that crap kick for touch which didnt go out.... generally missing in action for the entire match..
Tupou on the wing looked scared and disinterested...
we really need 1 or 2 wingers with some mongrel to take hit ups like an extra forward.. Hoppa and Tupou arent that...

i thought Dugan and Jennings looked dangerous but didnt get enough clean ball in space.
Josh jackson tackled his butt off. the starting props were good but when Klemmer and Fifita come on we lost any go forwards.

Merrin needed A LOT more game time - his footwork around the ruck caused some trouble for the QLD forwards at times."

FlameThrower

Bench
An average game, our kicking I thought was poor with most last tackle kicks straight down Slaters throat. I thought Tupou/ Fafitta and Jennings were below par. And agree Hopate did not offer much.
Standouts were Duges, Morris, Beau Woods and tamou . With Klimmer doing a solid job too.
We completely lost our structurefrom the kick off after half time. That smug Hodges deserved a handbag smack too...overall very disappointed by last night performance. Massive mountain to climb now with 2 away games!!!

S.B.

Juniors
Our kicking game was diabolical and the only thing going for nsw in soo 2 is we lost the game, qld never won it.

Mr Red

First Grade
An average game, our kicking I thought was poor with most last tackle kicks straight down Slaters throat. I thought Tupou/ Fafitta and Jennings were below par. And agree Hopate did not offer much.
Standouts were Duges, Morris, Beau Woods and tamou . With Klimmer doing a solid job too.
We completely lost our structurefrom the kick off after half time. That smug Hodges deserved a handbag smack too...overall very disappointed by last night performance. Massive mountain to climb now with 2 away games!!!

they mentioned in the broadcast the kicking game was intentional so Slater had to run the ball back and NOT use his wingers.. SLater was carrying a few injuries including a shoulder injury, so the intention was to make him carry it back and then work him over in defense ... problem was they didnt work him over in defense...... :(

Hutty1986

Immortal
Just a perfect example of NSW throwing away winnable games, a real snapshot of how most of the past decade has gone. Pretty sick of it.

TheRev

First Grade
The game was lost in the halves, we needed direction, a kicking game, and leadership, and we didnt get it.. if Adam Reynolds had of been fit I think we would have won handsomely.

But Hoppa has to go also, nothing wrong with him, but Tedesco or someone of similar spark/pace needs to be there, waste of a slot.

Im tired of Daley's selections, was last year too, Hodgo/JReynolds should never have seen NSW colours.

And yes Merrin is just wasted.. 20 minutes a game.. waste of a bench spot.

giboz71

First Grade
I thought as a spectacle, it was a very ordinary game. Intensity was down, no big hits or collisions. No moments of brilliance other than the Dugan kick, Morris try.

Qld are in decline for sure...they did just enough to win, but you can tell their big guns have lost a step. Inglis was terrible last night.

NSW are just clueless. Any team with Pearce and Hodkinson as halves will never get far.

I just can't wait to see the Dragons play again....think we should be thankful we have Gareth and Benji after watching NSW play.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If SOWARD was picked instead of the out of form Hodcrapson then they would have won easy as that. There is no one better than Soward in the kicking department and Pearce tried his heart out and set up a neat try. HodCrapson was a passenger. When the going got tough he went missing. He should have demanded the ball instead it went to Dugan. Hodcrapson did his best to avoid getting the ball.

If QLD were in that position first choice is give the ball to a half in Thurston or Cronk. For NSW that is clearly not the case. Why, because they do not demand the ball as much. Hodcrapson plays on the back of big forwards at the Scum who do all the ball playing. He just kicks and seriously if the selectors want someone for their kicking game then SOWARD is NSW best in that area by a mile.

Last edited:

2010Dragons

Bench
f**k the SOO !!!
I want the mighty red V to get another crack at the top 8 and win the bloody premiership!
Fyi the Duges was best on the field

mmap dragons

Juniors
Hodkinson should be the first to go. Offered nothing at all in attack. Put Pearce at half and pick another 5/8. If B.Moz is fit they need to punt Topou who is out of his depth at SOO level.

Jackson tackled his backside off but offers little else. Cordner offered zero as well. I lost count how many times he missed the first tackle after chasing a kick through. Assuming Gallen will come in, Punt Jackson and Cordner and give Frizz a run.

Duges played very well. It still surprises me when he gets bagged by a few on these forums and JA.

saint.nick

Coach
Experience and leadership was the only thing it came down to. Both sides were struggling to crack each other open, so it was paramount that we had enough leadership to get us home. We didn't. Half of QLD's team are captains for their clubs, the other half are players like Slater, Cronk and Thaiday who are experienced leaders themselves.

BennyV

Referee
The other thing that shits me is how Origin players are treated with kid gloves. If a set of club halves played like that in a single game, particularly the halfback, you'd be surprised if the media didnt destroy them and the coach gives them a monstrous earfull at least, likely dropping them to reserve grade if they werent proven performers.

Here, we have key players who havent proven they can consistently deliver for the Blues, yet after an abysmal game where they consistently gave up the opportunity to put it to bed, the coach comes out and defends them and says they are safe, effectively showing the QLDerps that we will be employing the same presictable shit next game.

f**k it Laurie, hang the dickholes out to try and change it up. What have we honestly got to lose by employing new players in key areas where they are needed, starting with the 7? And anyone who mentions 'stability' clearly didnt watch the game...

64 Dragon

Coach
Duges' field attempt wasn't too bad considering he wasn't supposed to get the ball. Hodkinson positioned himself on the other side of Dugan almost as if he didn't want the ball. Get rid of him.

Walpole

Juniors
The best things about origin;

Merrin only got 20 minutes so should be ready for a big game on the weekend

Duges was the best blues player and didn't get injured

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Referring was ordinary. It's the same bloke who was in the middle of that good Friday game Souths/dogs and our game against Souths. How this guy is rated as the top referee is a joke.

BTW, how many high balls have you seen slater drop in his career? How about putting a kick along the ground instead? Honestly the dragons team would of beaten that qld team last night.

Latest posts