What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on the Matthew Mott reign....

What did you think of Mott as NSW coach.

• Outstanding, we won trophies and has set us up for the future. Will go down as a great.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He's done well, we won a few titles and the team was successful.

• He did OK, but I think it was nothing to write home about.

• Horrible, ugly mark on our cricketing history.

• Total voters

Tweed Titan

Bench
Took over in 2007/08. Had four seasons in charge. He won the Shield in 07/08, T20 Big Bash 08/09 and Champions League T20 in 2009. Some promising youngsters have come through under his reign.

For me though the team was far too inconsistent, team tactics were bizarre at times and his man love of Henriques was a bit strange.

What are your thoughts?

I might be being harsh and a bit spoilt, but I expect more with the cattle at his disposal than 1 trophy every other year. I know we get ravaged at times by the AUS team but we as a state/province are by far the biggest producers of good cricketers in this country and probably in the world. Not a disaster period but not the great reign the media will undoubtedly make it out to be. Never felt 100% confident in the consistency and attitude of the team during his time.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Blues have a selection panel just like the Aussies so he may not be entirely responsible for the Henriques love, he's also been selected in an Australian squad so some one else rates him as well.

The selections are so difficult with some of the young talent available, its hard to fit them all in.

Never really heard Mott speak so hard to gauge his performance as a coach.

Red Bear

Referee
Once we got over players like Lambert and Mail I was happier.

Frustrating season as a fan of the bluebaggers, one of missed oppertunities, petered out in all forms in the end. I expected that from the One Day side of things, I dont think we're particularly strong there, in particular all our youngsters, bar Smith and Warner, are much more adept at first class cricket.

Christmas came at the wrong time for the Shield side, however, really killed our momentum. Looking back this is very much a year of what if's. Two games in which we lost a fast bowler in the opening bowling session (Starc at home to the Vics, Clark away to the vics), leaving us struggling for that match and neither playing again this season. The match at the SCG vs Tassie where we had them 9 down and Hauritz went across second slip and dropped a catch going straight to him, putting down Copes tenth for the match and us losing outright instead, which really came back to bite us. Going into the Vic and Tassie games fairly understrength with the bat, and the amount of fast bowling injuries, particularly Cameron, along with players being selected for Australia. Im pretty glad we managed to make the final and really went hard for a victory, but it just wasnt to be unfortunately. I think we also found out that Copeland is more of a partnership bowler, he keeps the pressure on at his end regardless, but takes more wickets when he has someone decent up the other end so they still have to play at him.

On the other hand we continue to unearth exceptional talent. Maddinson and Cummins have been the next two off the production line this year, both have a reasonable future ahead of them I think. Khawaja when fit continued to play well, Hughes and Jaques came back into form and Warner showed he could play a bit in the first class arena.

Alot to look forward to in the future (although how we juggle our wuick bowlers in anyones guess) but gee we should've won a trophy this year.

Hopefully Coyte never plays for us again. Ever.

Latest posts