What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yuvraj shocked - so am I...

JJ

Immortal
Yuvraj's statue imitation not dissent, just shock

INDIAN batsman Yuvraj Singh's "shock" at being given out has saved him from any guilt to a dissent charge from the first cricket Test against Australia at the MCG.
Yuvraj was found not guilty of showing dissent at umpire Billy Bowden's decision after he was caught behind off the bowling of Brett Lee for a duck just before tea in the first innings on day two.
Yuvraj lingered for a moment at the crease before slowly walking back to the pavilion.
But match referee Mike Procter said the left-handed batsman stood his ground not in protest against Bowden's decision but because he was "shocked" at being given out.
"It was evident that Yuvraj took more time than normal to leave the crease but it was due to the fact that he was shocked at the decision," Procter said.
"At no stage did he show displeasure or dissent at the umpire's decision."
Yuvraj was charged with dissent by Bowden and officiating partner Mark Benson, plus third umpire Steve Davis and fourth umpire John Ward.
Yuvraj, Indian captain Anil Kumble and team manager Chetan Chauhan argued the batsman's defence at a special hearing on Friday night.
The International Cricket Council announced its finding yesterday.
Had Yuvraj been found guilty he could have faced penalties ranging from an official reprimand to being docked half his match payment.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/yuvrajs-statue-imitation-not-dissent-just-shock/2007/12/29/1198778766059.html

How that wasn't dissent is beyond belief - ridiculous :roll:

Ready made defence for anyone now - stand your ground, make your point and then wander off claiming it was "shock" - brilliant :D

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Shock!!! :lol: he stayed around that long i thought he was waiting for a bus. Talk about being hit with a wet lettuce leaf.

Jeu_de_Treize

Juniors
The dessent rules are crap, they take the character out of the game, make it sterile. If an umpire makes a bad call then a batsman should be able to express his displeasure with it is someway rather than allowing umpires to live in a protected fantasy world where no one can say a bad word about there rubbish umpiring (this means you Billy Bowden)

HevyDevy

Coach
Yeah I don't really have a problem with what Yuvraj did. You should be able to show disappointment.

The line should be drawn at saying something or making gestures to the umpire. Looking shocked or disappointed should be fine, even shaking your head to an extent.

yet brett lee gets in strife for not turning around to face an umpire when the batsmen knicks the ball to fourth slip. no surprise here

and what was yuvraj bitching about anyway, snicko showed he was out and he knew he was out.

BWNB

First Grade
I reckon they should be able to abuse the umpire, that would be funny.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Jeu_de_Treize said:
Or tapping the bat to show you've hit it when you've been given LBW.

you're f**king kidding

as if everyone wouldn't be tapping their bat and telling the umpire they hit it

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yuvraj was charged with dissent by Bowden and officiating partner Mark Benson, plus third umpire Steve Davis and fourth umpire John Ward.

I think when you have 4 game umpires rule the same way, for then the match referree to solely overturn that decision, backed by the ICC is pretty pathetic and predictable what a spinless organisation they are.

I wonder if this sets a precedent? You can hang around 5-10 seconds, look shocked, if you think you have been given out unfairly? If given a penalty or fine, room to sue the ICC?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
TheParraboy said:
I wonder if this sets a precedent? You can hang around 5-10 seconds, look shocked, if you think you have been given out unfairly? If given a penalty or fine, room to sue the ICC?
Suing the Indian-subcontinent Cricket Council, why such a thing is preposterous!