What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeppelin, Beatles, Nirvana, Beach Boys Among Rock Hall Definitive 200

FunkyMonk

Juniors
The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame has released their first ever Definitive 200, which is a list comprising the Top 200 Albums of All Time which every music fan should own. With the top 5 being #1 'Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' by The Beatles, #2 Pink Floyds 'Dark Side of the Moon', #3 Michael Jackson's 'Thriller', Led Zeppelin's 'IV' coming in at #4 and U2's 'Joshua Tree' rounding out the 5, it's hard to argue the beginning of the list.

During the press conference to announce the list, Brian Wilson and his band, which included fellow Beach Boy Al Jardine, ran through a few songs off their ground breaking album 'Pet Sounds' which coincidentally came in at #9 on the list. After the performance both Brian Wilson and Al Jardine talked about how proud they are of the album.

(Wilson) "I think 'Pet Sounds' I'm very proud and so is Al." (Jardine) "Yeah, I am too." (Wilson) "We're both very proud of it and we think it's really good."

Much has been made about the competitive song writing inspiration between The Beatles and The Beach Boys, with each band challenging each other to write new material. It was said that 'Pet Sounds' was The Beach Boys answer to The Beatles 'Rubber Soul' and The Beatles 'Sgt Peppers' was their direct answer to 'Pet Sounds.'

We also discussed what Brian and Al thought about The Beatles 'Sgt Peppers' being influenced by their landmark album 'Pet Sounds.'
(Wilson) "I wouldn't know what to say about that, I'm just very proud." Jardine went on to add "It was inspired by 'Pet Sounds' obviously. They (The Beatles) loved what Brian did and what we did as a band and I think 'Pet Sounds' stands alone on its own pedestal."
The albums and their rankings on the Definitive 200 list were determined by a committee of members of NARM, The National Association of Recording Merchandisers, which includes retailers BestBuy, Amazon.com, K Mart, WalMart, Virgin and many smaller retailers around the country. Rounding out the top ten on the Definitive 200 is The Rolling Stones 'Exile on Main Street', Carole King's 'Tapestry', Bob Dylan's 'Highway 61 Revisited', The Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds' and 'Nevermind' by Nirvana. Artists on the list range from Miles Davis, The Grateful Dead, Shania Twain, Stevie Wonder, Nas, Fleetwood Mac, The Dixie Chicks, Bruce Springsteen, Black Sabbath, Enimen, Jimi Hendrix, Green Day, 50 Cent, NWA, Jay Z, Public Enemy, Creed, Coldplay, Metallica, Elvis Presley and many others. For the complete list go to definitive200.com.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/video_news/zeppelin_beatles_nirvana_beach_boys_among_rock_hall_definitive_200.html

FunkyMonk

Juniors
NIRVANA at number 10!!!!! :crazy: :D :D

HAHAHA sh*t YEH!

Where's your beloved Van "lollipopasswipe" Halen now Ron ya f**ka!
:lol: :lol:

Alex28

Coach
Number 21 - Shania Twain - Come On Over
Number 26 - Alanis Morrissette - Jagged Little Pill
Number 33 - Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces

Cred gone. Rubbish list.

elyod138

Bench
You should maybe check the list before you get too excited, both Van Halen and RHCP have albums on the list, with Van Halen having the highest ranked album of the two bands.

Azkatro

First Grade
Alex28 said:
Number 21 - Shania Twain - Come On Over
Number 26 - Alanis Morrissette - Jagged Little Pill
Number 33 - Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces

Cred gone. Rubbish list.
:lol: :lol: What a load of tosh!

It's always good to compare I think:

You look at the top 25 and it sums it up for me, albums 22 to 25 are absolutely indispensible - Who's Next, Songs In The Key Of Life, Rumours and The Wall - all of those classics are topped out by Santana's Supernatural, Prince's Purple Rain, and Shania Twain's piece of commercial sh*t!

Of Shania's album, it says "The emphasis is on fun rather than depth, of course. But no one can accuse her of being stingy: she and her Svengali-like producer/husband, slick-rock king Robert "Mutt" Lange (Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, AC/DC), load down the album with 16 songs, all of them quite radio-friendly." Since f**king when does an album loaded up with shameless radio-friendly sh*t make it into #21 on a definitive list of albums of all time, in all genres!?

I mean I realise these things are all subjective, but what the f**k!? :lol:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That list sucks balls. Santana's supernatural at number 13 :lol: and Shania Twain at 21, FMD.

Kiwi

First Grade
FunkyMonk said:
NIRVANA at number 10!!!!! :crazy: :D :D

HAHAHA sh*t YEH!

Where's your beloved Van "lollipopasswipe" Halen now Ron ya f**ka!
:lol: :lol:

Put it away and stop playing with it you twit. The list is crap, and for a rock n roll hall of fame list, there sure is alot of music there that isn't anything near rock n roll.

And if your creaming you pants over nivarna being where they are, you must be ready to hang yourself ( hopefully ) seeing someone like Michael Jackson, you know the type of so called talentless mainstream artist you despise so much at number 3.

Kiwi

First Grade
Oh and for the record FunkyMonk

So if you like the list so much, clearly then you'd be willing to admit on the Van Halen being better than John Fucwhocareswhathisnameis front. Don't see him on the list, and the RHCP were some 28 places behind Van Halen. Or are you gonna run with Nirvana now seeing as the list doesn't fall the peppers way?

FunkyMonk

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Oh and for the record FunkyMonk

So if you like the list so much, clearly then you'd be willing to admit on the Van Halen being better than John Fucwhocareswhathisnameis front. Don't see him on the list, and the RHCP were some 28 places behind Van Halen. Or are you gonna run with Nirvana now seeing as the list doesn't fall the peppers way?

John Frusciante doesn't want to be on the radio, he doesn't want to be onMTV. He is a true artist who doesn't care about fame or money, just music. So suck it up loser.

Kiwi

First Grade
FunkyMonk said:
John Frusciante doesn't want to be on the radio, he doesn't want to be onMTV. He is a true artist who doesn't care about fame or money, just music. So suck it up loser.

So in other words you want it both ways. Your claiming Nirvana to be better than Van Halen over this list, but because Van Halen is ahead of the Peppers the list doesn't matter with regards to the peppers.

Deadset your a tool of the highest order. Next time your momma comes over for abit of the kiwi I'm gonna slap her one first, bitch should have taken one on the face rather than get knocked up with you.

Latest posts