What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zidane to play for Sydney against Becks?

fish eel

Immortal
This would be massive, but I don't reckon they'd pull it off.

The game is just a mickey mouse promo match, if they were to get zidane they'd get international interest in it.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22218365-5001021,00.html

SYDNEY FC's date with David Beckham is set to become even more electrifying with the revelation that French superstar Zinedine Zidane has begun negotiations to be a guest player for Branko Culina's men that night.
The Daily Telegraph has learnt that Zidane's representatives are in talks about a one-off special appearance against his former Real Madrid teammate when FC play Galaxy here on November 27.

While discussions are described as "at an early stage" it's believed the approach from the decorated former international is serious, though no figures have yet been discussed.
Millions of dollars have already been invested by Football Federation Australia, the NSW government and Channel Ten in the visit of Galaxy in November, so a hefty appearance fee for Zidane is unlikely to be a problem.

The prospect of two men who were part of the most glamorous club side in the world facing off at Telstra Stadium will create even more excitement around a game that is likely to be televised across most of Asia and North America.

Tickets went on sale to the general public on Wednesday yet already an unprecedented 45,000 have been sold of the 80,000 capacity.

Ironically, earlier this year Galaxy approached Zidane to join Beckham in America, an offer they say is still open.

One of the finest players ever to grace the international stage and a World Cup winning leader of France, Zidane's swansong for his country became a shameful early exit from last year's World Cup final for headbutting Italian Marco Materazzi.

It was a tragic end to an illustrious career in which Zidane captained France to success at both the 1998 World Cup - in the final of which he scored two goals - and the 2000 European Championship.

Zidane retired after his sending off in Berlin, and has since played in charity matches raising money to end child illness and poverty, as well as being a UN ambassador.

Known to millions as Zizou, the sublimely graceful midfielder was three times World Player of the Year and his transfer fee when joining Madrid was a record $113m.

The stunning volley he scored in the 2002 Champions League final, which won the trophy for Real, was recently voted the third greatest goal of all time.

He and Beckham were united at Real as part of the Galacticos project, bringing together the world's game's biggest names in a reckless pursuit of glory.

Zidane retired from international football in 2004 but was persuaded out of exile when France were struggling to qualify for the 2006 World Cup.

Not only did he oversee Les Bleus' qualification but led France's charge to the final, knocking out Brazil and Portugal en route. He also scored France's first goal in the final before disgracing himself with the headbutt on Materazzi.

Beckham meanwhile has struggled with an ankle injury since joining Galaxy last month and is yet to make his competitive debut for the Major League Soccer team.

A 15-minute cameo in an exhibition game with Chelsea - largely to keep the sponsors happy - has been his only time on the park in Galaxy colours and even training so far has been light.

"I think it's always frustrating for a sportsman when you can't do what you love doing," said Beckham. "It's very frustrating because it's an injury that has had me out for almost eight weeks.

"It's getting better, improving every day, but I would want it to be a bit quicker, but obviously (that is) a natural thing."

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Be great for A League if they can pull it off.

Should see if they can get Henry on the same plane over here.

Dragon

Coach
just watching fox sports news, theyre saying the interest came from Zidane, negotiations will commence over the weekend and we'll get a clearer picture early next week. Would be awesome if he played. Anyone know if the match is sold out or are there still tix available?

fish eel

Immortal
Dragon said:
just watching fox sports news, theyre saying the interest came from Zidane, negotiations will commence over the weekend and we'll get a clearer picture early next week. Would be awesome if he played. Anyone know if the match is sold out or are there still tix available?

I've already got my tickets near in cove ;-)

I think the telegraph today said they've sold about 45,000 tickets

B-dos

Referee
geez its great to see the a-league and australian football growing like this.

this is absolutely unbelievable. still probably a long shot to happen but to think Zidane would even consider something like this is a sensational step forward and something that 2-3 years ago would have been unfathomable.

fish eel

Immortal
griffo346 said:
insted of the one off game

is it out of the relms of possibility we could see him play a season ?

I would say so.

After the signed Becks, LA Galaxy approached him to join Beckham.

There is no way Sydney, or any Oz club, could afford the type of cash needed to bring him out of retirement for a full season

Dragooner

Bench
Would be awesome stuff for sure......however, it is probably a long shot.

If Zidane had interest - I think it'll happen
If FFA approached him - It will fail

I'd go just too watch Zidane, who's Beckham again?

I already have tickets btw.

zidane won't be signing anywhere. he is too much a family man and has already rejected offers from the MLS that would sh*t all over anything sydney fc could think of.

Bumble

First Grade
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
zidane won't be signing anywhere. he is too much a family man and has already rejected offers from the MLS that would sh*t all over anything sydney fc could think of.

Different kettle of fish IMO. It will just be a one off game, can bring his family to Australia for a holiday for a week or so and then head back to France. Kinda like Zola playing for Marconi last year.

Latest posts