What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zimbabwe on the rocks again

Iafeta

Referee
This from cricinfo.com

Zimbabwe in throes of another controversy
AFP

September 4, 2005

spacer.gif

55306.jpg

Stuart Carlisle: in the forefront of the latest player-board stalemate © AFP
A row over contracts between Zimbabwe Cricket and its players is threatening to develop into the kind of ugly strike that brought cricket to its knees here 18 months ago.

Zimbabwe Cricket had offered Tatenda Taibu, Heath Streak and Andy Blignaut renewed contracts, but withdrew offers made to Stuart Carlisle, Craig Wishart, Barney Rogers and Neil Ferreira after the first two refused to take part in Sunday's one-day international against India.

Other players have been told that their contracts would be considered at the end of this month, depending on how they perform in the next few weeks. This has upset the players. Carlisle told AFP: "This could even be just as serious for cricket here as the last dispute 18 months ago because this time the black players are with us."

Carlisle was at the forefront of the 2004 strike sparked by Streak's sacking for complaining about alleged racism by the selectors. He was one of 15 contracted players, all white, who backed Streak and were fired in turn. This set off months of negotiations characterised by hostilities and legal confrontations.

Carlisle said at his Harare home Saturday that he told Kevin Curran, the Zimbabwe coach, that he did not want to play against India in the last league match of the Videocon Cup, nor did Wishart. They preferred, he said, for lower-level players to be given the experience.

Carlisle said this was reported by Curran to ZC general manager Osias Bvute, who "immediately withdrew my contract and those of the others". Carlisle, who has played in 37 Tests and 112 ODIs for his country, now faces the end of his international cricket career, along with Wishart, Rogers and Ferreira, the latter after playing in just one match against New Zealand last month.

Carlisle said: "I have plans in hand, but I cannot say what they are." Carlisle and Grant Flower, who is now with Essex, were the most outspoken of the players during their 2004 dispute with ZC. All the affected contract players have held several meetings during the last two days and will have another one on Monday concerning the issue.

Clive Field, their representative, has held at least one meeting with Bvute, but the outcome is not known. Bvute was not available for comment. Those newly contracted are also unhappy with the overall situation and have been involved in meetings with the others, Field said. Streak commented: "I can confirm that there are to be further talks on this issue next week. Other than that I should not discuss it."

© AFP

Iafeta

Referee
When will this mob ever get their act together? Seriously.

I say enough is enough right here, right now, lets cut the cr@p, lets get on with the fair dinkum stuff and ax Zimbabwe from international cricket.

Not only are they deadset dreadful on field, but off field they are actually WORSE!! Why do we perservere with them?

sanjane

Juniors
Iafeta said:
When will this mob ever get their act together? Seriously.

I say enough is enough right here, right now, lets cut the cr@p, lets get on with the fair dinkum stuff and ax Zimbabwe from international cricket.

Not only are they deadset dreadful on field, but off field they are actually WORSE!! Why do we perservere with them?

How many years did it take NZL to win a test again?

look the rEALITY is we can not have 4 or 5 teams...we need as many as possible for cricket to have an international influence.

looking at recent happenings, imagine if Sean Ervine was still in the picture.

Pity really.

Matt23

Staff member
Ervine saw the writing on the wall, and has decided to qualify for another country

Iafeta

Referee
Sean Ervine is NOT in the picture, neither are the Flowers and a number of other good players because of the way the whole scene is run. Lets not imagine what airy fairy scenarios we can come up with, lets look at whats good for the game, not just internationally, but also for Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe will not progress if we sit on our hands and say, she'll be right. She WON'T be right.

Again, not even their own players want to play for them because of how its run, look at the article and you'll see why they don't want to - Stuart Carlisle, one of their better batsman is in danger of never seeing the colour of their shirt again because he thought it'd be prudent to give another couple of young players a go in a dead match.

It would be lovely if the team was stacked with Dave Houghton, Andy and Grant Flower, Murray Goodwin, and a few others - but the fact is, it isn't. They have a pathetically small number of cricketers to draw from, its like The World XI playing the Ilford Second XI.

Get your act together off the field first Zimbabwe, then reapply.

sanjane

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Sean Ervine is NOT in the picture, neither are the Flowers and a number of other good players because of the way the whole scene is run. Lets not imagine what airy fairy scenarios we can come up with, lets look at whats good for the game, not just internationally, but also for Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe will not progress if we sit on our hands and say, she'll be right. She WON'T be right.

Again, not even their own players want to play for them because of how its run, look at the article and you'll see why they don't want to - Stuart Carlisle, one of their better batsman is in danger of never seeing the colour of their shirt again because he thought it'd be prudent to give another couple of young players a go in a dead match.

It would be lovely if the team was stacked with Dave Houghton, Andy and Grant Flower, Murray Goodwin, and a few others - but the fact is, it isn't. They have a pathetically small number of cricketers to draw from, its like The World XI playing the Ilford Second XI.

Get your act together off the field first Zimbabwe, then reapply.

I think the ICC has to intervene by sanctioning any and all actions by the Zim board. On the surface, the whole contracts idea, to me appeared sound.

I'm not sure what Carlisle is saying is too true either..

aussies1st

Staff member
Zim losing all there star players has made it extremely hard for them to compete. With these players they would be way better than they are now. Until they can get every Zim cricket player wanting to play for them, they should be suspended.

bayrep

Juniors
You are only hearing Carlisle's side of the story the Zim board could be right this time in with drawing his contract. Easy to buy into one side of the story when you cant hear the other side. Not the other side has been that pretty in the past.

sanjane said:
How many years did it take NZL to win a test again?

look the rEALITY is we can not have 4 or 5 teams...we need as many as possible for cricket to have an international influence.

looking at recent happenings, imagine if Sean Ervine was still in the picture.

Pity really.

Whilst that is fair and the same with Sri Lanka to a lesser extent at least those countries were competetive and were moving forward. Zimbabwe a few years ago at the World Cup actually played some good cricket and had the nucleus of a fairly decent side.

Johnson
A.Flower
G.Flower
Ervine
Taibu
Price
Streak
Carlisle

There was something to work with. Mazakadza made a debut hundred as a kid and has not had the proper coaching to take his game forward. The same is happening in Kenya at present. After there great World Cup run where are they now. The ICC has to bite the bullet and make decisions about the future of the game in Africa outside of South Africa. Personally I believe there could be a future there for it as well as in East Asia. But unless the ICC start doing something about it these regions will be lost as other sports move in for the dollar in those places.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Southern Rooster said:
Whilst that is fair and the same with Sri Lanka to a lesser extent at least those countries were competetive and were moving forward. Zimbabwe a few years ago at the World Cup actually played some good cricket and had the nucleus of a fairly decent side.

Johnson
A.Flower
G.Flower
Ervine
Taibu
Price
Streak
Carlisle

There was something to work with. Mazakadza made a debut hundred as a kid and has not had the proper coaching to take his game forward. The same is happening in Kenya at present. After there great World Cup run where are they now. The ICC has to bite the bullet and make decisions about the future of the game in Africa outside of South Africa. Personally I believe there could be a future there for it as well as in East Asia. But unless the ICC start doing something about it these regions will be lost as other sports move in for the dollar in those places.

To be fair, I think you actually combined two world cups to come up with that team...