What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Run-out or walk-out?

Preferred option?

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just a small thing but I noticed it at the weekend - how much better (IMO) is both sides walking out together?

Happened most of this weekend at these games and just looks and sounds awesome. Keep separate run-outs, or should we move to both sides coming onto the park side by side?

Timmah

Staff member
I was going to make arrival by jetpack an option too but thought better of it

Separately, I detest seeing the teams walking out side by side all nicey nicey.

Have you seen the soccer teams over here kissing each other in the tunnel and the pathetic false handshake before the match?

Saint Doc

Coach
Separate except for occasions like ANZAC day where sport takes a backseat to the occasion.

And I wasn't a fan of the Last Post at the Bulldogs game. It's not something that can't just be played willy nilly to make you sporting much feel like an event. It is reserved for ANZAC Day itself and funerals of ex servicemen and women.

Timmah

Staff member
I didn't have a problem with a service being held as a mark of respect but the Last Post was clearly rushed yesterday. Didn't feel right.

Danish

Referee
It confused some dragons fans at the ANZAC day game who actually began to boo as soon as they heard "please welcome the Sydney roosters...." and never heard the "....and st George Illawarra dragons".

Effectively booed their own team onto the field for a few seconds although it died off pretty quickly :lol:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Walk out together is my preference....

I also think an ANZAC-style ceremony should be done before EVERY game. Obviously, removing most of the exclusively ANZAC aspects (last post, war vets, ect.), but still giving NRL games a kind of event feel.

Even if its just lining that players up, playing the National Anthem (and maybe a military version of Waltzing Matilda), doing the coin toss on the field with the captains groups shaking hands, it would give the whole occasion more of a narrative.

Think about NFL doing the big pre-game "American Revolution" showpieces; its not just about American history, its about positioning the game in the spectators minds so they think about the football they are about to watch like a "glorious wars"....

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
For internationals I don't mind the walk out.

SOO and club games though (besides games like ANZAC day where you want it to be more respectful) I prefer them to run out by themselves.

Imagine if they had both QLD and NSW walkout before SOO. The fans wouldn't know what the f**k to do. Nothing like booing the f**k out of the opposition as they run out.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's a cool concept, to walk out together.

However, I love it when we get a packed crowd at Pirtek and the opposition runs out first to a loud chorus of boos - just to emphasise to them that this is our home.

Dutchy

Immortal
It's a cool concept, to walk out together.

However, I love it when we get a packed crowd at Pirtek and the opposition runs out first to a loud chorus of boos - just to emphasise to them that this is our home.

Yep, and fans like Parra fans cant throw their well earned Centrelink coins at opposition teams if they're walking out together!