What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

reykaine

Juniors
VODAFONE WARRIORS team for Canberra announced:
1 SAM TOMKINS
2 NGANI LAUMAPE
3 KONRAD HURRELL
4 DANE NIELSEN
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 CHAD TOWNSEND
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 JACOB LILLYMAN
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 SUAIA MATAGI
11 BEN HENRY
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO
Interchange:
14 FELETI MATEO
15 BEN MATULINO
16 SAM RAPIRA
17 THOMAS LEULUAI
18 TUIMOALA LOLOHEA
20 SIONE LOUSI

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Iron Lion

Juniors
Good to See McFadden reads on here and saw my posts and took step one dropping Bukuya. That means Sam Rapira is on a warning now to pick it up substantially or otherwise he is next to go. Expect Manu to move to the forwards if we lose this week and Jarrod Tua to Debut.

JJ

Immortal
Good to See McFadden reads on here and saw my posts and took step one dropping Bukuya. That means Sam Rapira is on a warning now to pick it up substantially or otherwise he is next to go. Expect Manu to move to the forwards if we lose this week and Jarrod Tua to Debut.

I trust Bukuya is injured - seriously, watch the game again he was good... as was Rapira, albeit with not too many minutes

WithTheDawn

Juniors
I'm not too worried about this one, even with it being in Canberra. The last couple of months we have comfortably accounted for teams we were meant to beat, and played well in the tougher games with varying results. Doesn't really matter that it is in Canberra and we never win there - the Raiders are horrible this year, and we have everything to play for. I really expect them to step it up big time after the frustration of losing a couple of reasonably close contests and put on a big score.

Iron Lion

Juniors
I trust Bukuya is injured - seriously, watch the game again he was good... as was Rapira, albeit with not too many minutes

Bukuya dropped to Vulcans, His and Rapira's performances have not been of first grade standard. Rapira will be next to go if he doesnt pick it up.

Jarrod Tua getting closer now also.

reykaine

Juniors
Bukuya dropped to Vulcans, His and Rapira's performances have not been of first grade standard. Rapira will be next to go if he doesnt pick it up.

Jarrod Tua getting closer now also.

WARRIORS Pos Mins Receives Runs (m) Try Ass. T.Brks Tackles Offloads L.Brks LB.Ass. Errors Pen Conc.
1. Sam Tomkins Fullback 80 41 13 (114m) 1 3 7 1 3 1
2. Ngani Laumape Winger 1 80 14 13 (110m) 2 4 1 1 1
3. Konrad Hurrell Centre 1 80 13 10 (109m) 4 5 2 1 2
4. Dane Nielsen Centre 2 80 17 10 (79m) 1 13 2 1
5. Manu Vatuvei Winger 2 80 22 16 (175m) 4 3 3
6. Chad Townsend Five-eighth 80 63 7 (56m) 1 2 14 2
17. Thomas Leuluai Halfback 64 37 6 (49m) 1 11 1 1
8. Jacob Lillyman Prop 1 48 15 7 (65m) 30 1 1
9. Nathan Friend Hooker 72 91 2 (14m) 49
10. Suaia Matagi Prop 2 34 7 7 (65m) 8
11. Ben Henry 2nd Row 1 75 14 10 (50m) 40 1
12. Simon Mannering 2nd Row 2 80 19 9 (59m) 3 23 2 2
13. Sebastine Ikahihifo Lock 45 10 8 (63m) 24 1 1
15. Ben Matulino Interchange 46 12 12 (117m) 1 24 1 2
16. Jayson Bukuya Interchange 40 10 9 (82m) 1 19
18. Tuimoala Lolohea Interchange 24 8 1 (10m) 1 5
20. Sam Rapira Interchange 32 11 9 (70m) 8

Based on the actual stats, why would Bukuya get singled out?
Have to agree with JJ, there was nothing wrong with how he played. Did you actually watch the game?

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Yep, he was decent... coach may have reason, but it is not that he was not up to standard, a few others would go before him. Rapira was fine too imo, and will get better. Seems lion saw differently

Iron Lion

Juniors
Yep, he was decent... coach may have reason, but it is not that he was not up to standard, a few others would go before him. Rapira was fine too imo, and will get better. Seems lion saw differently

He was dropped 100% due to form, the fact you think he is playing decent is concerning, he is not. If he plays like he has been every week lately he will be released from his contract. A lot of these players are on warning. They are earning great salaries and not delivering the performances expected.

Neilsen is so lucky we have nobody here to replace him, if Matai was available now they would throw the checkbook at him. Tua is very close to selection but with the finals on the horizon McFadden is holding out hope his systems will pull through over average experienced players and he wont need to throw Tua in the mix.

JJ

Immortal
He was dropped 100% due to form, the fact you think he is playing decent is concerning, he is not. If he plays like he has been every week lately he will be released from his contract. A lot of these players are on warning. They are earning great salaries and not delivering the performances expected.

Stats above, feel free to compare them with the other backrowers...

If we're talking about BIG salaries and underperforming (or at least repeatedly making schoolboy errors) that discussion (IMO) should start with the fullback.

Bukuya is not at the top of his form, but a look at the numbers suggests that he played as well as any of the running forwards apart from Matulino...

vvvrulz

Coach

I really can't figure you out, is this a prolonged (and very poor) trolling attempt or are you just completely clueless?

Iron Lion

Juniors
I really can't figure you out, is this a prolonged (and very poor) trolling attempt or are you just completely clueless?

I love the Warriors with all my heart, I would never troll this team even though a good intellectual argument can be fun.

Its funny how you ask if I am clueless yet McFadden right after my prediction dropped Bukuya to reserve grade. You think that may have given you a wake up call. There is every chance Bukuya may not see his contract out here and every chance Rapira may need to find a new home.

And dependent on this weekend result Tua may be called up and Manu may be in the forwards. Warriors have quite a few issues that got covered up on that winning run. Serious concerns still exist, it is unfortunate that Johnson was injuried last weekend because it allowed us to think we could of won if he was there.

Changes are coming amigo, its best you prepare for it and leave it to the ones who know the game to drop underperforming highly paid players.

And you are right comparing Bukuyas stats to other players, a few better start shitting themselves - Cause he is getting closer to the door.

JJ

Immortal
Perhaps you have some insights we don't?

I don't know, but on what actually happened on the field this week, I don't see any reason to drop Bukuya before any of Mannering, Henry, Ihikahifo, Matagi, etc...

And I wouldn't be showing an experienced prop the door at the moment, especially as the coach seems to want to play Matulino on the edges...

Iron Lion

Juniors
Perhaps you have some insights we don't?

I don't know, but on what actually happened on the field this week, I don't see any reason to drop Bukuya before any of Mannering, Henry, Ihikahifo, Matagi, etc...

And I wouldn't be showing an experienced prop the door at the moment, especially as the coach seems to want to play Matulino on the edges...

Its about value to $. Players are stocks, following trend if value is not there then recoup on other stock. That other stock is Hoffman who would fill Bukuyas position first and maybe Papaili if he repeats his high impact performances as Hoffman, Mannering and Henry would allow the Warriors to carry a monster 2nd rower on the bench in rotation.

Ben Henry is now a higher value option and continues to raise in value. Mannering is Captain and just needs to reel himself in a bit, getting a bit loose after some stella performances. Ihikahifo is highly rated but hasnt shifted up or down. McFadden likes him a lot though.

Every indication points to Bukuya heading out on current performances.

vvvrulz

Coach
Changes are coming amigo, its best you prepare for it and leave it to the ones who know the game to drop underperforming highly paid players.

And you are right comparing Bukuyas stats to other players, a few better start shitting themselves - Cause he is getting closer to the door.

For someone who claims to "know the game" and enjoys an "intellectual argument"...

I have yet to see either:

1) anything remotely close to an argument as to why Rapira and Bukuya are not performing to first grade standard
2) any indication whatsoever that Bukuya was dropped by McFadden purely due to a poor performance

You are literally the only guy here who seems to think that Bukuya and Rapira are bad players. They have been in and out of the team due to injuries / personal reasons and have been solid and dependable *at very worst* when on the field. I think they've been very good most of the time.

Hearing lots of noise and no actual reasons

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Bukuya was initially "dropped" for family reasons according to a poster with proven inside knowledge. Supposedly these reasons are interfering with his training or at least application to training.

If we isolate the Manly game, Bukuya came on in a role that suited him, and to a lesser extent the team when he replaced Ikahihifo. Mateo offers a point of difference, but when he replaces Ikahihifo that's a vast different change in player type that can effect the team dynamic, especially if it's Ikahihifo's job to play as a third prop.

With Hoffman coming something has to give so him leaving wouldn't surprise me.

I expect some big changes next season. We have the majority of our team off contract including every prop bar Lillyman. Rapira is great when he's on the field for an extended period of time, but how often is he on the field for an extended period before getting injured?

When contract renewal comes around I don't see us offering Rapira top dollar, especially when you look at who we have off contract. He'd be down the priority pecking order. That may be enough to force him to look elsewhere. Again, he'd be one who wouldn't surprise me if he left after next season.