What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Forty20

First Grade
While I'm throwing around lower grade scoops, Folau and Goodall to be named in the centres for Wenty.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
How do you rate these 2 Forty ?

Goodall looks like a real prospect to me but Falaou looks bog average from what I get to see on TV.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Folau has looked a lot better in his last two TV games than he did earlier in the year and last year. His main problem is lack of involvement and trying for the miracle pass instead if taking the tackle. And like most under 20s he makes poor decisions in defence. All stuff that can be fixed.

Forty20

First Grade
Goodall has first grade written all over him. I reckon he is the front runner to take the whichever edge Radradra isn't on (they are both left edge players by trade) come Round 1 next year. The coaching staff have experimented with him in the centres in recent games and he has done quite well but has lacked the polish that he has on the wing.

I see Folau as a fair bit like Vai Toutai, which isn't a bad thing. He was probably a bit too big earlier in the season but I think after he dislocated his elbow against the Tigers in the NSW Cup, he has come back slimmer and more agile. I don't think he will reach the heights of Goodall or Davis but with some work he will be a handy squad member that might earn some NRL caps down the road.

Forty20

First Grade
Wentworthville Magpies:

1. Justin Hunt

2. Jake Butler-Fleming

3. John Folau

4. Fabian Goodall

5. Nicholas Walker

6. Api Pewhairangi

7. Luke Kelly

8. Mitch Allgood

9. Ben Jones

10. Daniel Alvaro

11. Joseph Ualesi

12. Lorenzo Ma'afu

13. Danny Howard

Interchange:

14. Liam Foran

15. Takai Moeakiola

16. Isaac Maliota

17. Pat Mataele

18. Taunaola Kei

Coach: Brett Cook

Clicky

Goodall and Folau get a run in the centres for Wenty while Pewhairangi's game of positional chairs takes him into the halves this week. Wenty welcome back Allgood and Ualesi who will add some desperately needed starch to the forward pack.

In a genuinely surprisingly selection, Takai Moeakiola emerges from the Ron Massey Cup to claim a spot on the bench as an interchange prop. Moeakiola has been one of the biggest disappointments for mine after a promising run in the centres and wing in the NSW Cup in 2013.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Gut feel says they are priming Goodall for centers next year, with Faraimo on the wing (in firsts that is). Not surprising that Goodall was just wing until Tonga announced his move to the UK, and Faraimi promoted after Sio did the same.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Wouldn't mind seeing Semi and Goodall line-up on the same side of the field with Hoppa and Faraimo on the other. Add Hayne to this and it would have to be one of the bigger backlines in the comp that can bring the ball back and help out the forwards very well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gut feel says they are priming Goodall for centers next year, with Faraimo on the wing (in firsts that is). Not surprising that Goodall was just wing until Tonga announced his move to the UK, and Faraimi promoted after Sio did the same.

Hopoate and Morgan are our top two centres.

phantom eel

First Grade
Wouldn't mind seeing Semi and Goodall line-up on the same side of the field with Hoppa and Faraimo on the other. Add Hayne to this and it would have to be one of the bigger backlines in the comp that can bring the ball back and help out the forwards very well.
Don't forget that Toutai is probably in the first grade mix somewhere... :sarcasm:.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Hopoate and Morgan are our top two centres.

I sort of agree with Twizz - as of right now (on the condition we recognise Tonga being unavailable?). I totally agree Hoppa is our top centre next year - but still worried about Morgan.
For 4 years he has been leaving his winger 'on an island' defensively, having to make a decision on which of 2 guys to target. He still gets 'sucked' into the middle third too often.

He hasn't been behind Willie Tonga this season because Tonga is in career best form!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We still use a strongly up and in defence on the right side, and Elder Hopoate has also struggled there at times. Playing on the left Morgan only really has to worry about his own man. He's been good on the left, in fact he has defended better than Willie Tonga did in his last month or two. Though I'd say Tonga has been carrying an injury for a while.

Anyway Tonga won't be here next year, and there's no way a rookie will play centre ahead of Morgan. None of ours are good enough defensively. That's not to say we won't let Morgan go at the end of next year. A full year in reserve grade (with a couple of appearances in firsts when Hopoate gets injured) should have Toutai/Goodall/Folau somewhat up to standard, defensively.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I haven't seen a lot of moeroa but someone did mention he is quite quick. Considering all the options we have at edge forward, is moeroa a potential option / backup for the centre spot for next year?

Wouldn't be the first young forward to play a bit of centre early in his career.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I haven't seen a lot of moeroa but someone did mention he is quite quick. Considering all the options we have at edge forward, is moeroa a potential option / backup for the centre spot for next year?

Wouldn't be the first young forward to play a bit of centre early in his career.

With his superior speed and footwork I'd say Manu Ma'u will play centre before Moeroa. Ma'u played some centre in a trial earlier this year.