What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Round 1 still not finished, all teams are as rusty as an Italian motor car and there's still one game to go. Call me pessimistic but I hope we see 4 good halves performances tonight, appears effective combinations are going to be rocking horse shit in '15.

You can have all the big boppers you want, all the new names that are hard to pronounce but the teams that don't have a pair of scheming halves are going to be treading water. Understandable why DCE is so sought after, will be less understandable if the Titans can't keep Sezer on the paddock, there's no room for part time halves

As it is the Sharks look ratshit, Cowboys and Broncos are a one man band, Warriors don't have even one smart half, Titans are relying on luck, Raiders are still just the Raiders by relying on McCrone as a shock weapon, Knights/Tigers are a work in progress and Penrith aren't smart enough to kick a field goal when 24 in front. Dogs have Laurel and Hardy halves, not that I give a shit

Parramatta are living on a knife's edge with their halves, impulsive play won't sit with Arthur for very long so the outlook is bright. If Melbourne can't brew another halves combination especially with Smith struggling they too will be as ordinary as most so far. Funnily enough, if Marshall/Widdop can produce anything near the Roosters/Rabbitohs halves the Dragons will be no worse off than anyone else.

Don't think I've ever seen League so run down in the halves department, speed, muscles and multiple replacements will never compensate for the lack of smarts

oikee

Juniors
Ever heard of the movie "some like it hot", well 'something has got to give'.

Most clubs outside Sydney are struggling big time to field a team even slightly competitive weekly, never mind trying to compete for 26 weeks.

The NRL has got to give every team outside Sydney a extra million on the salary cap, so the code can go back to being a competition, not a Sydney comp. Or introduce a new system.

They are looking at expansion. ? forget it. Why just add two more weak uncompetitive teams to a already lopsided Sydney comp.

This year is going to get really ugly for some teams. The Titans for one are just whipping boys.
And even with Cherry evans, they wont improve all that much with pub-footballers making up the numbers because of one players huge salary.
Our system is not working, we are just creating a even bigger lop-sided contest.

We need a markee player system, or a two player markee payment. We need something, a better system.
This one is obviously not working when you can see some teams with virtually a blues origin team while others have players you wouldn't let near a girls netball squad.

You need only look at the Warriors to realise something is wrong. They should be near unbeatable. Yet they are nothing but a pile of bullocks.
Yes marquee.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
fyi there is a movie called Somethings Gotta Give
might have made more sense than what you went with

What i am saying is clubs outside Sydney, with the huge corporate support this city enjoys, are struggling because once they spend 1 million a season on a player, they then loose players and struggle to attract other decent players because they then dont have the cash to keep the decent players they have.

I'll break it down for you.

Titans, buy Cherry. They dont even have a major sponsor.
So any decent player like Sezer or Bird, even Ryan James who might want to test the market then leave the club because the Titans dont have the sponsors to keep them.

So the Titans end up with a superstar supported by pub-players.

Now compare that to Roosters.
Maloney, Pearce, Jennings, Fergo, Toupou, Shreack, Hastings, Napa, Hargreaves, Evans, Boydner, Gureara, all top class players who can stay under the Roosters cap with third party and sponsors.

So right their you have a Blues Origin team basically up against a pub-team in the Titans.

As i said the other day. If the NRL are going to save the Titans, save Canberra, save the Cowboys, then save them.
If your just going to band-aid the whole affair by simply hiring one superstar thinking that will fix the basketcase, then it wont work, will never work, so get rid of them, drop the comp to 14 teams, and make every team a Origin team, because pub teams are easy to spot. And most live outside Sydney.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
I'm a bit disappointed Popeye. I came here looking for a cryptic monologue about the Dumbness of Penrith, an elaboration of your previous post. Nothing.
By the way "Bus Stop" is my favourite Marilyn film.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
What i am saying is clubs outside Sydney, with the huge corporate support this city enjoys, are struggling because once they spend 1 million a season on a player, they then loose players and struggle to attract other decent players because they then dont have the cash to keep the decent players they have.

I'll break it down for you.

Titans, buy Cherry. They dont even have a major sponsor.
So any decent player like Sezer or Bird, even Ryan James who might want to test the market then leave the club because the Titans dont have the sponsors to keep them.

So the Titans end up with a superstar supported by pub-players.

Now compare that to Roosters.
Maloney, Pearce, Jennings, Fergo, Toupou, Shreack, Hastings, Napa, Hargreaves, Evans, Boydner, Gureara, all top class players who can stay under the Roosters cap with third party and sponsors.

So right their you have a Blues Origin team basically up against a pub-team in the Titans.

As i said the other day. If the NRL are going to save the Titans, save Canberra, save the Cowboys, then save them.
If your just going to band-aid the whole affair by simply hiring one superstar thinking that will fix the basketcase, then it wont work, will never work, so get rid of them, drop the comp to 14 teams, and make every team a Origin team, because pub teams are easy to spot. And most live outside Sydney.

you are putting the cart before the horse
success breeds more success
eventually they will not be able to keep the team together and another team will rise
rinse and repeat

oikee

Juniors
you are putting the cart before the horse
success breeds more success
eventually they will not be able to keep the team together and another team will rise
rinse and repeat

Yeah fantastic, lets just play musical chairs with our players, strip them of superstars like they did the storm so other clubs can compete.
That is what i call the band-aid solution.

Instead of allowing clubs to hang onto your superstars, and then spreading the "new talent" to other clubs, lets just stack a new team with superstars from other clubs, strip them of their superstars let them enjoy being at the bottom of the ladder, rinse and repeat. That is what is happening now.

This is why our code continues to stay amatuer.

We need Marquee player rule, we need a draft type system, we need junior allowances for clubs and probably other minor changes to get all clubs equal.

Just stacking one team to make them stronger while other clubs struggle is not a great way to grow the code.
Even teams is what makes the comp great.

Anyhow, continue what your doing and we get the same results. At this very point in time we have clubs that are less than NRL level.
After 26 weeks it will become obvious.

Anyhow, lets move on.

Yeah, Bus stop was good, along with "Seven year scratch" and "Scally wags prefer blondes". All 3 classics of their time.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
I'm a bit disappointed Popeye. I came here looking for a cryptic monologue about the Dumbness of Penrith, an elaboration of your previous post. Nothing.
By the way "Bus Stop" is my favourite Marilyn film.

Penrith's dumbness is nowhere near as hard to fix as the Warrior's and should be easily overcome by a little common sense. If I was Cleary I would have reminded his mob who they were playing, the Dogs are not a team that can be bamboozled for 80 minutes

Penrith did a great job most of the game, that Fancy Nancy stuff is the only way to beat the Dogs, relentlessly run them off their feet, turn their battleships around and around, etc etc. Before long though Graham is going to rally his troops and the Panthers were still in Chicken Hawk mode when it happened.

At 18 or 24 in front someone should have told Penrith to ditch the razzmatazz, starting with a field goal. Still run at the big blokes but cut out the rubbish passes like Moylan came up with. No need to shut up shop but a little Foghorn Leghorn preparedness wouldn't have hurt . . . should have measured the f**king chain and stayed out of reach

Blues Riff

Bench
Thanks for that Popeye. We, as fans, were thrilled to be going so well and when the comeback came, didn't really know what was happening. I appreciate your impartial insight.

soc123_au

Staff member
I thought it was a pretty fair assessment by Pops. Personally, I am pleased the Dogs came back. It should go some way to stopping complacency in future games. Cummins didnt help with the mandatory evening of the count, but we barely completed a set in the last 20 minutes. If we held the ball it goes someway to taking the control back off the dope with the whistle.

POPEYE

Coach
I thought it was a pretty fair assessment by Pops. Personally, I am pleased the Dogs came back. It should go some way to stopping complacency in future games. Cummins didnt help with the mandatory evening of the count, but we barely completed a set in the last 20 minutes. If we held the ball it goes someway to taking the control back off the dope with the whistle.

Australian referees consider themselves part of the game, not enough to be just mediators, there are going to be many games decided by their pedanticism rather than by the players. I think it was Fittler who said they should refrain from stopping the game just because they can.

Shame that men like Fittler don't give back to the game by turning their hand to refereeing, we need the bloke with the whistle to understand the game, can't expect someone to adjudicate on people with the talent to play something they can't

MaxPower

Juniors
The problem isn't the refs, it's the rules and the system the refs operate in. There is no consistency with the rules therefore there is not consistency with the interpretation and application. The current system incentivises overuse of the video referee and evening up the penalty count, amongst a host of other things. Something that has just come to mind is referees avoiding making game changing decisions regarding on-field infringements, using the reporting system to shift responsibility from themselves and onto the match review committee.

Tear it all down.

POPEYE

Coach
When Ashley Klein was refereeing in England he did an excellent job, so much so that with the plaudits he was getting he decided to return to Australia. Something happened between then and now, either he has been told by the NRL to search out every possible penalty or his piers, like any good trade union lads, have told him not to rock the boat by making them look stupid

If Bentham and more importantly Silverwood, the best ref on the planet, were to come to Australia as Tim Roby apparently is they too would probably have to conform to the Aussie shit way of refereeing. If Dave Smith really wants to reform Rugby League in Australia he should stop listening to f**kwits who say that the English game is behind in every way . . . they are way in front in adjudication of the game.

Slug

Juniors
Round 1 still not finished, all teams are as rusty as an Italian motor car and there's still one game to go. Call me pessimistic but I hope we see 4 good halves performances tonight, appears effective combinations are going to be rocking horse shit in '15.

You can have all the big boppers you want, all the new names that are hard to pronounce but the teams that don't have a pair of scheming halves are going to be treading water. Understandable why DCE is so sought after, will be less understandable if the Titans can't keep Sezer on the paddock, there's no room for part time halves

As it is the Sharks look ratshit, Cowboys and Broncos are a one man band, Warriors don't have even one smart half, Titans are relying on luck, Raiders are still just the Raiders by relying on McCrone as a shock weapon, Knights/Tigers are a work in progress and Penrith aren't smart enough to kick a field goal when 24 in front. Dogs have Laurel and Hardy halves, not that I give a shit

Parramatta are living on a knife's edge with their halves, impulsive play won't sit with Arthur for very long so the outlook is bright. If Melbourne can't brew another halves combination especially with Smith struggling they too will be as ordinary as most so far. Funnily enough, if Marshall/Widdop can produce anything near the Roosters/Rabbitohs halves the Dragons will be no worse off than anyone else.

Don't think I've ever seen League so run down in the halves department, speed, muscles and multiple replacements will never compensate for the lack of smarts

I know you're old, but surely not yet blind.

Reynolds and Keary were brilliant. That's why they're premiers.

POPEYE

Coach
I know you're old, but surely not yet blind.

Reynolds and Keary were brilliant. That's why they're premiers.

Only the body's old, eye's are tired but unlike you my comprehension is still brilliant. . . .you couldn't read into what I wrote that there are only two teams with a super effective halves pairing

How about I set you a test . . . who were they . . . in crayon will do

POPEYE

Coach
I'm going to have to wait until Monday to watch this weekend's footy, back in beautiful Noosa hinterland I haven't watched any games but everything has gone to script, even Manly beating Melbourne where I hoped it would be close enough to not be concerned. If Manly ever had to win a game at Brookie it was this one

Newcastle is the best news story, the more wins not just the better the team gets but the more recognition the coach gets. The more losses for the Cowboys the closer the team is forced to look harder for someone who can take the self inflicted pressure off Thurston

Broncos and Dogs were must win games for super coaches, only a bookie would suggest otherwise.

POPEYE

Coach
Roosters had the Rabbitohs hanging by their nuts and still couldn't render them unconscious, seems only injury will beat the juggernaut. Some f**king wankers are that desperate to see Souths beaten they piss their pants when the contest is even, how they get any satisfaction out of a team being a key player down getting beaten is beyond me

Anyone rubbing their hands together at the sight of Reynolds staggering from the field deserves a f**king uppercut as he returns. True League followers would be disappointed for any team that loses any player, let alone a key player. It's even tough to watch the faces of Wests supporters when Tedesco is sidelined, even though it's a foregone conclusion

Losing a player that the team has trained around all week and subsequently losing the game because of it is no different than a team losing because referee's f**ked up. The same wanker types that rejoiced at Manly's win would no doubt rejoice if the Roosters did beat Souths without Reynolds. Fairly ominous but nevertheless impressive that the Rabbitohs are near impossible to beat on a bad day for them, still I'd rather see them outplayed than decimated

Latest posts