What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

The Great Dane

First Grade
yeah I don't really use Twitter, I guess its not a true discussion platform though. I've never used Facebook to discuss League so I wouldn't know. I sometimes use Reddit, i would say its got a younger (and woker) demo than this place.
Those would be the intolerant people I was referring to.

Those would be the intolerant people I was referring to.
Do you not see the irony?

You and @mongoose advocate for a strict Orwellian affirmative action style approach to NRL expansion and attack anyone who has a different opinion. I've seen you mock and insult people for believing in meritocracy.

The only way Adelaide and Perth get a licence ahead of Brisbane 3 and NZ 2 is if the ARLC overlook their lack of assets, juniors, fanbase and value to broadcasters.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Do you not see the irony?

You and @mongoose advocate for a strict Orwellian affirmative action style approach to NRL expansion and attack anyone who has a different opinion. I've seen you mock and insult people for believing in meritocracy.

The only way Adelaide and Perth get a licence ahead of Brisbane 3 and NZ 2 is if the ARLC overlook their lack of assets, juniors, fanbase and value to broadcasters.
No I don't see the irony because nothing you've said is even remotely true.

I do value meritocracy, it's just that what I value as meriting inclusion in the NRL is different to you. Put simply I value the merit of each idea's commercial potential, and the individual business cases where possible, where as you start with your biased preconceived notions and then try to rationalise why they "merit" inclusion in the NRL post hock.

I can't imagine why you'd think diversity quota's for minorities and women have anything to do with expansion of a sports league, but it doesn't surprise me that a terminally online flog like you would use the American term 'affirmative action' lol.

Go play pretend at having even a basic understanding of American politics somewhere else please.

Last edited:
No I don't see the irony because nothing you've said is even remotely true.

I do value meritocracy, it's just that what I value as meriting inclusion in the NRL is different to you. Put simply I value the merit of each idea's commercial potential, and the individual business cases where possible, where as you start with your biased preconceived notions and then try to rationalise why they "merit" inclusion in the NRL post hock.

I can't imagine why you'd think diversity quota's for minorities and women have anything to do with expansion of a sports league, but it doesn't surprise me that a terminally online flog like you would use the American term 'affirmative action' lol.

Go play pretend at having even a basic understanding of American politics somewhere else please.

You value the "merit of commercial potential", huh?

Then why are you against the Dolphins?

After one year the Dolphins have become the second largest rugby league club in the world!

If you cared about "merit of commercial potential" you wouldn't keep on saying the Dolphins have failed on every metric.

If you had your way then the Dolphins wouldn't be in the NRL.

While the Dolphins are drawing an average of 32k fans to Lang Park, your shitty little pissant regional club in Canberra is lucky to draw 18k!

A Perth-based club will be lucky to draw 15k!

Adelaide would struggle to pull 10k!

You have no credibility left after all of your dumb f**k predictions about the Dolphins were exposed as bullshit.

No one but a f**kwit living in a fantasy world would suggest Adelaide and Perth have more "commercial potential" than the Dolphins.

Yet you've been doing that for years!

Don't fool yourself into thinking your long-winded posts impress anyone. You're just an old blowhard and and a complete f**kwit that bores everyone shitless.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You value the "merit of commercial potential", huh?

Then why are you against the Dolphins?
I've explained my position on the Dolphins to you at least a couple dozen times at this point, maybe even more. If you don't understand my position by now you're either unwilling or incapable of understanding and attempting to explain it to you again would just be a waste of my time.
You have no credibility left after all of your dumb f**k predictions about the Dolphins were exposed as bullshit.
You know, except for the fact that every single one of my predictions for the Dolphins has been correct so far except for one. Impossible to tell about most of the rest for at least 5-10 years or more.

I give myself a bit of a pass on the one that I got wrong as well. How was I supposed to know that the QRL had some weird arcane rules that supposedly prevented the NRL side from sharing the Redcliffe identity with the Q Cup side or whatever.
No one but a f**kwit living in a fantasy world would suggest Adelaide and Perth have more "commercial potential" than the Dolphins.

Yet you've been doing that for years!
It's like you can't even conceive of growth potential. It's very, very shallow, short sighted, and frankly stupid or disingenuous, thinking.

Yeah the Dolphins were able to capitalise on the popularity of RL in Brisbane to start bigger relative to most other sides out of the gate, just like e.g. the WSW did in the A-league, but their long term growth will be slower and their potential ceiling is lower. Perth and Adelaide on the other hand will undoubtably start smaller, may even struggle for a while, but with good management they'll grow big in the long term, like e.g. the Swans or Storm. In other words the Dolphins pay out up front, where as Perth and Adelaide are long term investments.

Perth and Adelaide are also genuine growth that adds to the pie. Brisbane just takes advantage of the pre-existing audience and customer base for the most part. In other words Perth and Adelaide is like opening a new branch of a business in a new market, whereas the Dolphins and any other potential new Brisbane/SEQ sides is just offering a new alternative product to the pre-existing audience and customer base. Nothing wrong with either model, but on average one is undoubtably more valuable in the long run if you can pull it off.
Don't fool yourself into thinking your long-winded posts impress anyone. You're just an old blowhard and and a complete f**kwit that bores everyone shitless.
I honestly couldn't give less of a f**k whether anybody on here is impressed with me or what I have to say, and I think it says a lot more about you than me that you think impressing faceless strangers on an internet forum is important.

Your lack of self-awareness and inability/unwillingness to let things go and move on is genuinely concerning as well.

Don't think I didn't notice that you completely abandoned your moronic positions to instead bring up the Dolphins and attack Perth, Adelaide, the Raiders randomly, and my character BTW.

Last edited:
I've explained my position on the Dolphins to you at least a couple dozen times at this point, maybe even more. If you don't understand my position by now you're either unwilling or incapable of understanding and attempting to explain it to you again would just be a waste of my time.

You know, except for the fact that every single one of my predictions for the Dolphins has been correct so far except for one. Impossible to tell about most of the rest for at least 5-10 years or more.

I give myself a bit of a pass on the one that I got wrong as well. How was I supposed to know that the QRL had some weird arcane rules that supposedly prevented the NRL side from sharing the Redcliffe identity with the Q Cup side or whatever.

It's like you can't even conceive of growth potential. It's very, very shallow, short sighted, and frankly stupid or disingenuous, thinking.

Yeah the Dolphins were able to capitalise on the popularity of RL in Brisbane to start bigger relative to most other sides out of the gate, just like e.g. the WSW did in the A-league, but their long term growth will be slower and their potential ceiling is lower. Perth and Adelaide on the other hand will undoubtably start smaller, may even struggle for a while, but with good management they'll grow big in the long term, like e.g. the Swans or Storm. In other words the Dolphins pay out up front, where as Perth and Adelaide are long term investments.

Perth and Adelaide are also genuine growth that adds to the pie. Brisbane just takes advantage of the pre-existing audience and customer base for the most part. In other words Perth and Adelaide is like opening a new branch of a business in a new market, whereas the Dolphins and any other potential new Brisbane/SEQ sides is just offering a new alternative product to the pre-existing audience and customer base. Nothing wrong with either model, but on average one is undoubtably more valuable in the long run if you can pull it off.

I honestly couldn't give less of a f**k whether anybody on here is impressed with me or what I have to say, and I think it says a lot more about you than me that you think impressing faceless strangers on an internet forum is important.

Your lack of self-awareness and inability/unwillingness to let things go and move on is genuinely concerning as well.

Don't think I didn't notice that you completely abandoned your moronic positions to instead bring up the Dolphins and attack Perth, Adelaide, the Raiders randomly, and my character BTW.
If you don't care what anyone thinks then why do you write verbose posts?

All you've done is waffle on about your opinion without providing any evidence to back it up. When your assertions are refuted you claim you were right. You'll never admit to being wrong about anything.

You think Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth will become bigger than the Dolphins in the long run?

The Storm have existed for 25 years and are still smaller than the Dolphins.

Last year the Dolphins' average attendance was bigger than every season for the Storm since they entered the NRL in 1998. The Storm have sat inside the top four of the premiership ladder over the bulk of their existence. It takes some mental gymnastics to look at that and conclude that Melbourne is going to be bigger and more valuable than the Dolphins.

Swans draw shit TV ratings in Sydney despite being around for over 40 years.

There's no guarantee that Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth will ever be half as big as you claim.

Yet you talk about their future success as if it's a fait accompli?

Get f**ked!

You're just speculating and pretending that you're a genius like Elon Musk. What you are is a snake oil salesman.

Canard

Immortal
If you don't care what anyone thinks then why do you write verbose posts?

All you've done is waffle on about your opinion without providing any evidence to back it up. When your assertions are refuted you claim you were right. You'll never admit to being wrong about anything.
He typed this without even a hint of self reflection.

It's f**king amazing.

18k at dolphins, the rot has set in quicker than the last seq club to be added! SEQ4 looks even more remote.

More than Tigers vs Broncos, Raiders vs Sharks and Sea Eagles vs Eels.

Melbourne hosted Newcastle at MRS in 2017. Only 11,070 turned up.

In 2018 the Storm vs Knights game at MRS drew 12,386.

In 2019 the Storm vs Knights game drew 16,313.

A Perth-based could only dream of drawing 18k to a game against Newcastle.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach

More than Tigers vs Broncos, Raiders vs Sharks and Sea Eagles vs Eels.

Melbourne hosted Newcastle at MRS in 2017. Only 11,070 turned up.

In 2018 the Storm vs Knights game at MRS drew 12,386.

In 2019 the Storm vs Knights game drew 16,313.

A Perth-based could only dream of drawing 18k to a game against Newcastle.

The Dolphins drew 42k against Newcastle in Perth. Looks like nrl is more popular in Perth than Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow those pommie dopes looking for a negative re the dolphins sure look stupid now
Just reinforces the stupidity of having an outer metro aligned team instead of a city wide appealing one like Brisabne2 should have been. If it knocked 5k+ of the gate it probably says they haven't yet achieved city appeal. They've won more than theyve lost so far this year so form isnt an issue.

the next test will be Manly on a Thursday night. Then they have clubs with big away fanbases so their numbers will be boosted by other teams fans.

They are doing ok, as was predicted. Yr 4 onwards, depending on form, will be the measure of if Brisbane can host a third club or not.