What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panther Pete

Juniors
He was told he was free to apply. He withdrew his application as well. I imagine Gus would have told him he is in our long term plans but obviously wouldn't stand in his way of getting a head coaching gig.

Gus must have done a good job convincing him to stay considering Garth lives north of Newcastle , the commute here must be mind numbing.

maple_69

Bench
Rick Stone would have been a shoe in anyway I reckon. If it doesn't happen for him here in the next few years I don't think he'll have a problem getting a gig somewhere soon.

franklin2323

Immortal
Wasn't Garth asked to apply at Newcastle?? He must have been told then his longer term future at Penrith.

He's an assistant coach with a fantastic win %. You would think he has hopes to be a FG coach. I'd be concerned if he didn't look elsewhere

MrBlack

Juniors
I think Gould's job is almost done. I can't help but think another struggling club is about to throw a tonne of money at him to revisit his formula (Parra, Manly, Sharks ??)

When this happens I see Cleary replacing him as GM and Garth replacing Cleary as head coach. This was probably the long term plan from the start.

Barrett is doing his apprenticeship. He is taking his time getting his first grade job. Too many ex-players have rushed into coaching without success. It may be Barretts time soon. If he goes I hope he does well.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Gus has made a comment in this mornings SMH (I couldnt find a link) thats its crap about Ivan going anywhere and said he thinks journalists make up these stories when they get bored. Manly have made no offer to Ivan, he is happy at the Panthers and has never raised the idea of coaching anywhere else and Ivan will always have a job as long as Gus is involved with us. He also goes on to mention he believes Trent Barrett, David farleigh, Alex Melville and Garth could handle NRL coaching jobs.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Does anybody even know if Ivan has any interest in becoming a GM?

No idea but if I was guessing I'd say no.

I would have concerns about if he could even do Gus' job. Two of the things that have helped Gould be so successful in this role are his personality, he is a larger than life character in RL and his connections, not many people have the pull or contacts that Gould does. I think Gould has stated the goal is to make his position redundant so we might not even see a replacement when he does move on.

ammatt

Juniors
personally, I don't think that Ivan is ready to quit coaching. He is still young (as coaches go) and has not fulfilled the dream of winning a premiership.
He still has a lot to achieve as a coach.
I had read somewhere that Tim Sheens was going to take over from Gus. To me that would make more sense

betcats

Referee
Gus has made a comment in this mornings SMH (I couldnt find a link) thats its crap about Ivan going anywhere and said he thinks journalists make up these stories when they get bored. Manly have made no offer to Ivan, he is happy at the Panthers and has never raised the idea of coaching anywhere else and Ivan will always have a job as long as Gus is involved with us. He also goes on to mention he believes Trent Barrett, David farleigh, Alex Melville and Garth could handle NRL coaching jobs.

Here ya go:

There is no validity whatsoever to recent speculation in media circles that Panthers coach Ivan Cleary is considering an offer to coach Manly. I can only assume that when journalists get bored they make up these scenarios so they can at least get a story when the rumour is denied. It really is frustrating. First, I am assured that Manly has not made an offer to Ivan. Second, Ivan is very happy at Panthers. He and his coaching team have done a wonderful job during the past 3 ½ seasons. I see no end point to his current tenure. Ivan still has a lot of work to do at the club. The idea of Ivan coaching anywhere other than Panthers has never been raised. With regard to speculation regarding Trent Barrett and the Manly club, let me say that Trent is young coach with great potential. I believe he is an NRL coach of the future. So too is our NSW Cup coach Garth Brennan, who has won NYC and NSW Cup premierships in the past two seasons. Our NRL assistant coaches David Fairleigh and Alex Melville could both handle an NRL head coach role tomorrow. We know that from time to time these men will be approached by rival clubs. And so they should be. At the moment though, they will have a job at Panthers while ever I have anything to do with this football program. They are highly valued and we are lucky to have them on board. If any of these men are ever offered a head coaching position elsewhere, I will not hesitate in assisting them to pursue such opportunities, if they so desire. Everyone has ambition and these men are no different. I would like to see them all coaching NRL one day. When I was coaching director at the Roosters, our staff included men like Ricky Stuart, John Cartwright, Ivan Cleary and Shane Flanagan. Our aim was to have them all aspiring to be head coaches of NRL teams. The results speak for themselves.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ew-era-for-the-nsw-blues-20150526-gh9yrm.html

GongPanther

Referee
Haha. Go off Gus!! I ignore rumoured signings etc until they are actually announced

One has to approach these rumours with common sense logic.

Why would Cleary leave the Panthers when he is all consumed within the Panthers situation.I thought this is very clear.

The constant dribble that oozes out of the DT when they are either desperate for sales,one has to remember that the overall sales of the DT are hemorrhaging severely against the SMH,which is now the countries highest selling daily,and when Rothfield needs a story on his paper to cover over the rabble that is the Sharks.

This is why if I need to get any info about the Panthers...in fact,about any club,I read either the SMH online,or get the Panthers news directly from the main source itself which is the panthers' website.

Still can't believe people are falling for the DT bullshit.

abpanther

Staff member
Rumour we've signed Vilame Kikau, U20s prop who played for Fiji this year. 196cm and 114kgs.

maple_69

Bench
Hmm I understand if there's nothing available that's going to improve us now to improve your prospect pool but if there's one thing we have coming through in spades it's high quality young props. This would make 6 with potential to be very good first grade props now. I'd prefer us to pick upyoung halves if we don't think we can improve the first grade situation for next year.

Blade23

Juniors
Apparently we have signed a talented fringe first grader but the club is holding off announcing until the deadlines passes.
I don't who it is, but he agreed a month ago and has been in and out of first grade all year. His current club is now all of a suddenly interested in him after some good performances. So he could backflip.
Any ideas?

MrBlack

Juniors
Apparently we have signed a talented fringe first grader but the club is holding off announcing until the deadlines passes.
I don't who it is, but he agreed a month ago and has been in and out of first grade all year. His current club is now all of a suddenly interested in him after some good performances. So he could backflip.
Any ideas?

Maybe Hastings??

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Any ideas?

Very mysterious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts