What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Best Cult Player Appreciation Thread

vvvrulz

Coach
There were a few over that 07/08 period

Oh yeah, our whole team was basically cult players.
You had Witt, Hendo, Gatis, McKinnon, Patty Ah Van, Skinny Byrne

Same sort of deal in 2002 with Villa, Feka, Tookey, Carlaw etc.

All great fun when they click, not so fun when they don't.
You do need genuine class to win titles

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
What's he deal with McKinnon? Is he still playing somewhere?

As of last year, he worked at Auckland Airport on the tarmac - Butch tweeted a photo with him. Think his knees must be shot.

Not sure all of these suggestions truly count as 'cult heroes' do they? Hitro was definitely a cult hero - someone when he got the ball, the whole crowd went berzerk. Feka along the same lines, Fa'afili I'd say got that way with his post-try celebrations...

But mine is Micheal Luck. The image of him swathed in bandages with a blonde mop falling over them, going round the legs again and again, barking at our defensive line - absolute legend. The immortal Kevin Locke 'when God was handing out brains he was off looking for magic beans' line only adds to it.

The fact a guy who made 5 metres forward and 6 metres back every hit-up was voted in the Warriors' top 5 of all-time in the Herald says it all.

spear tackle

Juniors
Who was that guy who played probably one game for us that got the ball and ran straight at Adrian Morley? It was like watching a bug fly into the windscreen of an oncoming truck. He went down like a sack of spuds.
Don't know what happened to him afterwards.

Blair

Coach
Lee Oudenryn

Now a Manawatu cop, no?

Funny how a lot of these 'cult heroes' went up in a puff of smoke. I.e. McKinnon, I'd have sworn he'd have been there for years. If he was fit throughout 2008, instead of breaking a leg in pre-season and only playing the finals, it might have made us more competitive in our gf qualifier v Manly.

They had lot's of heart all these guys, didn't they? Probably a bit less talent than the current side, but, gee, they made up for it!

Meth

Staff member
Hitro was the first. Hitro was the best.

Yep, Hitro.

I suppose it comes down to your definition of a cult player…but Hitro was it. Feka could have been it. I suppose Ali and Manu too.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Who was that guy who played probably one game for us that got the ball and ran straight at Adrian Morley? It was like watching a bug fly into the windscreen of an oncoming truck. He went down like a sack of spuds.
Don't know what happened to him afterwards.

Paul Atkins. 2005 at home v the Rooters from memory, was like a cartoon character watching him bounce back off Morley.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Now a Manawatu cop, no?

Funny how a lot of these 'cult heroes' went up in a puff of smoke. I.e. McKinnon, I'd have sworn he'd have been there for years. If he was fit throughout 2008, instead of breaking a leg in pre-season and only playing the finals, it might have made us more competitive in our gf qualifier v Manly.

They had lot's of heart all these guys, didn't they? Probably a bit less talent than the current side, but, gee, they made up for it!

Rose tinted glasses mate, Warriors fans have always criticised the team for inconsistency and a perceived lack of heart. The only real exception was the 2007-2011 period under Ivan where we generally had limited talent and competed on discipline and almost boring footy until SJ came along in the final season.

As for cult faves at the Warriors, I'll chuck another one up there, Tai Liavaa- fringe prop around 99-00, who I'll always remember for one of the best hits I've ever seen when he absolutely buried Cowboys forward Shaun Valentine at Dairy Farmers in 2000.

auckwarriors

Juniors
Atkins played versus the Roosters at home in 2004. They kept kicking to his corner and he was returning at 100mph...straight at Adrian Morley, who obliged by belting him into next week on each occasion. It was Morley's work on Atkins that riled up Awen Guttenbeil enough to respond with his now famous shot on Ned Catic.

Atkins actually reemerged to play with the Vulcans up until a couple of seasons ago.

Iafeta

Referee
On Paul Atkins, I will say one thing, I was impressed with the lads courage. Ballsy running frankly. Surprised he never got another shot and just ask him to put on some footwork to avoid such massive collision. Can't doubt his courage though.

There's two for me. First, the original, Hitro Okesene. At times he had hands like feet, but again, he only knew one way. I loved watching him in the Lion Red Cup (I think they called it the Lion Red Cup), he was sensational. Head rocking everywhere, hair flowing, legs pumping, what a sensation. The second, well, my login, Iafeta Paleaaesina. I remember one of his first games, we lost v Newcastle at home but Feka scored a double, through absolutely nothing less than absolute passion and aggressive running. Always felt it was a pity he ended up taking the dough at Wigan because I thought his game management was maturing under the guidance of Steve Price - he actually seemed to be capable of going decent minutes in each stint by the end.

Rose tinted glasses mate, Warriors fans have always criticised the team for inconsistency and a perceived lack of heart. The only real exception was the 2007-2011 period under Ivan where we generally had limited talent and competed on discipline and almost boring footy until SJ came along in the final season.

As for cult faves at the Warriors, I'll chuck another one up there, Tai Liavaa- fringe prop around 99-00, who I'll always remember for one of the best hits I've ever seen when he absolutely buried Cowboys forward Shaun Valentine at Dairy Farmers in 2000.

Is Tai Liavaa on the Honor Roll List for Warriors Jersey? Haven't got one and if he is what No is he?