What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers's Terminate Cleary's Contract

Dazzat

First Grade
Bye bye Penrith.

The spin that "Griffin left the Broncos in great shape so that Bennett could take them to the grand final" ... you're kidding!

Griffin almost destroyed the Broncos. He left the team in schisms. He left under performing players like Hoffman and Barba in the team without change week after week. He held back players like Hunt and Wallace (front rower).

Frankly ... he let the whingers run the team and rewarded mediocrity. Bennett put the cleaners through the place when he came and made MASSIVE changes.

Takes us to top 4 last year with a reasonably big injury toll. Avoids the spoon this year despite nearly every player being sidelined and many of them missing 10+ games. Gets sacked.

Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy would have done just as poorly in the same situation. So unless there's another reason it's poor form from the Panthers.

^ pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

Someone

Bench
There's been a lot of praise for Brennan.

Shocked really. Really peculiar timing, after all the shopping for next season is done. Basically gives next years coach a freebie, as they have the 'didn't assemble this side' to fall back on.

Pretty harsh, good coach who got genuinely hurt by the injury toll this year.

rubbish. There squad next year will be a genuine top 8 side.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Replacing Cleary with Griffin would seriously be the worst decision a club has made in forever.

*Since 2012, when we replaced Cleary with McClennan.

So if the Panthers go ahead and do that, I'd suggest their fans should find a new team. Because we're still f**ked four seasons later.

Agree with everyone who has said Gould must know what Cleary's next move is/thinks he knows and has sacked him ahead of time. There's something like that bubbling below the surface, almost certainly.

GongPanther

Referee
Rhyno got something right for the one time in his life in predicting that Cleary will be the coach to be sacked.....albeit after a 0-8 record.

But seriously,I hope Toovey gets the job.

I really don't understand the logic behind the proposed Griffin selection.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Quite shocked at this, very very harsh. Who is there out there that Penrith think could do a better job? Clearly is the sort of coach you build a club around long term

blaza88z

Coach
Rhyno got something right for the one time in his life in predicting that Cleary will be the coach to be sacked.....albeit after a 0-8 record.

But seriously,I hope Toovey gets the job.

I really don't understand the logic behind the proposed Griffin selection.

Gus has made it public he's a big fan of the professionalism at the Broncos, that's the only thing I can think of

franklin2323

Immortal
MX. Cleary let 12 players start the season in FG with no Pre season.

Tried to have Soward play the season with a sore back when he was having an off surgery anyway. did the same with Seg's elbow.

Brought back Mansour early x 2 only to breakdown again.

Had no idea how to stop our poor starts to games. Bennett & Bellamy wouldn't of done stuff like that..

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
MX. Cleary let 12 players start the season in FG with no Pre season.

Tried to have Soward play the season with a sore back when he was having an off surgery anyway. did the same with Seg's elbow.

Brought back Mansour early x 2 only to breakdown again.

Had no idea how to stop our poor starts to games. Bennett & Bellamy wouldn't of done stuff like that..

What was the alternative to letting 12 players start the season underdone and rush his best players back? Play the 20s side in FG? I mean they did win the whole thing, that would've worked right? Pretty damned if he does and damned if he doesn't there. I don't recall injury management being an issue at all at the Warriors under him.

The 40% thing is a handy stat to have if you're trying to justify something. If you're a fan, you well know he had to clear out a whole bunch of shit and that 2012/13 were never going to be happy affairs. You could go ahead and say Matt Elliott had a better winning record. But I bet you enjoyed the 2014 finals run, didn't you? You know, when they beat the minor premier/reigning premier then pushed the Dogs all the way?

But yeah, if you're happier with a 20s coach or someone else's reject, enjoy it. All I'm saying is that not playing finals while madly scrambling to find a coach who can achieve it is no fun, from experience.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah and Cleary had such a brilliant, injury free roster to work with during his tenure...

A bit of that he could of prevented imo. That aside we only had a couple missing when we fell behind 18-0 to Parra & Newcastle. Then the shocking performance in Darwin. All winnable games

Billythekid

First Grade
No way was this decision based on performance. If this means he goes back to the warriors next year they are going to be a tough team to beat over the next few seasons.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Their must have been a fued behind the scenes or Cleary just wants out completely. This is out of the blue, Cleary has done a credible job with the Panthers and was good at the Warriors beforehand. Penrith showed how good they can be last year, injuries cruelled them this year.

GongPanther

Referee
Gus has made it public he's a big fan of the professionalism at the Broncos, that's the only thing I can think of

If there is a Karma situation for Griffin,this is it.

He will be walking into a club that is on the verge of something that will be very exciting.

All will be revealed in the next day or so.

mxlegend99

Referee
If it's Griffin I will fully expect us to be a fringe top 8 side at best next year. I had us as top 4 contenders if we stayed fit. But even if we are injury free in 2016, I can't see us being any better than this year under Griffin.

Honestly this has completely f**ked the 5 year plan. Griffin puts us back at step 1 and has no chance at taking us beyond week 2 of finals. No way he can improve on Cleary.

Latest posts