What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Channel 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin speaks out on controversial Chris Gayle interview
Staff Writers FOX SPORTS January 05, 2016 7:44PM SHARE

CHANNEL 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin says she accepts Chris Gayle’s apology for his controversial behaviour during a sideline interview on live television and wants to now move on from the saga.

Gayle has been fined $10,000 by BBL franchise the Melbourne Renegades after attempting to flirt with McLaughlin during the Renegades win over Hobart on Monday night, with Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland declaring Gayle’s behaviour “completely out of line” and “inappropriate for the workplace”.

The 36-year-old T20 star issued an apology to McLaughlin on Tuesday morning after widespread condemnation over his conduct, but also declared the ‘simple joke’ had been blown out of proportion.

McLaughlin told Channel 10’s The Project that she was embarrassed by the fallout around the incident, and now wants to move on from the furore.

“I’ve not spoken to (Gayle) personally but I flew home from Hobart today and he was at Melbourne airport,” McLaughlin said.

“I know he issued an apology. I accept that and I just want to move on.

“I don’t really want to be the subject of such conversations, I like just going about my business and doing my job,” McLaughlin also said earlier in the day on Channel 10 news.

“(It’s) definitely a good thing people are talking ... you know, we want equality, we always want equality.

“I’ve always felt in my career I’ve felt nothing but respect.

“Of course you don’t expect to get that answer (from Gayle).

“(It’s) a little bit disappointing because it just doesn’t happen normally.”

Renegades chief executive Stuart Coventry offered McLaughlin an unreserved apology on behalf of the franchise, but defended the decision to issue a fine instead of a suspension, the sum of which will be donated by the club to the Jane McGrath Foundation.

Coventry describing the situation as a “one-off”, with Gayle’s exemplary conduct since he joined the Renegades this summer seen as a mitigating factor.

In the immediate aftermath of the interview Channel 10 head of sport David Barham said the network would no longer fit Gayle with a microphone to capture his on field comments and would not be asked to film helmet cam footage.

“We will be seeking an apology,” Barham told The Herald Sun.

“It was totally inappropriate behaviour. Mel’s a working journalist doing a job.”

“We won’t be using him in the game anymore. Unless things change in the next few days, it’s not happening,” he said.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/...-1227698462533

There's something wrong with our society when a bit of harmless flirting gets blown so far out of proportion.

Gayle was having a bit of fun. There was no disrespect, it was just a bit of fun.

We have become way too sensitive and, specifically in relation to feminism, way, way too sensitive.

And the extremely valid point has previously been made - Mel is there purely as eye candy. She has no history in any professional sports and the only reason she is there is so guys can think about giving her one. For anyone to be complaining that a guy was flirting on her is ridiculous.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Disagree HJ, she is a professional sports journalist and a decent one.

If you think she is there purely for the eye candy then you are part of the problem.

Kornstar

Coach
There's something wrong with our society when a bit of harmless flirting gets blown so far out of proportion.

Gayle was having a bit of fun. There was no disrespect, it was just a bit of fun.

We have become way too sensitive and, specifically in relation to feminism, way, way too sensitive.

And the extremely valid point has previously been made - Mel is there purely as eye candy. She has no history in any professional sports and the only reason she is there is so guys can think about giving her one. For anyone to be complaining that a guy was flirting on her is ridiculous.

Agreed, what a Shit world we live in.

Wars, terrorism, coward punch victims, homelessness etc. but let's worry about a harmless bit of fun because it suits a pathetic agenda!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Even if we accept what the neanderthals say about her being there purely as eye candy, it doesn't excuse shit behaviour. Gayle flat out disrespected her. Those calling it "harmless fun" seem to forget that the journalist felt disrespected.

It is not being "PC" or any other shit labels you want to put on it. It is about treating people with respect. He should pull his f**king head in and answer the questions.

Having said all of that, whilst I think Gayle is a cretin it is hardly the biggest issue affecting humanity.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal

:lol::lol::lol:

Gayle flat out disrespected her.

I don't think he did. I've watched the interview and I do not think there was any disrespect at all. If there was disrespect then I wouldn't hold the opinion I expressed in my previous post.

Those calling it "harmless fun" seem to forget that the journalist felt disrespected.

The problem these days is too much pandering to people's feelings. There was no intent, so end of story.

[youtube]EL8e2ujXe8g[/youtube]

Wars, terrorism, coward punch victims, homelessness etc. but let's worry about a harmless bit of fun because it suits a pathetic agenda!

I think you'll find that we do plenty of worrying about those things too. Not sure why that should preclude people having a sook about other issues that concern them. I said it before...it wasn't so much what Gayle said, it was sleazy way in which he did it, and on national TV while the lass was trying to do her job that was the problem. I sometimes think that some of you blokes (and I guess blokes in general) don't think too hard at times (or don't think too hard about issues that don't directly affect you personally). That said, the level of media hyperbole has been a bit OTT.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't think he did. I've watched the interview and I do not think there was any disrespect at all. If there was disrespect then I wouldn't hold the opinion I expressed in my previous post.

We'll agree to disagree mate.

I think it was disrespectful to not answer her questions. Did he really want to ask her out? No. So, the exchange was all about him. If that is not disrespectful behaviour to a journalist trying to ask serious questions then I'll eat Gayle's sweaty jockstrap.

The problem these days is too much pandering to people's feelings. There was no, intent, so end of story.

That isn't even remotely close to what the problem is.

I also don't accept that shit behaviour is OK if there is no intent. What a cop out. The whole "He's just a larrikin, he can do what he wants because he didn't intend to be a penis" attitude is actually closer to what the problem really is.

Besides, Gayle knew exactly what he was doing so he can't be excused on these grounds.

Again, I stress that it isn't the greatest crime in the world. But, let's be clear about what it really was.

Kornstar

Coach
I think you'll find that we do plenty of worrying about those things too. Not sure why that should preclude people having a sook about other issues that concern them. I said it before...it wasn't so much what Gayle said, it was sleazy way in which he did it, and on national TV while the lass was trying to do her job that was the problem. I sometimes think that some of you blokes (and I guess blokes in general) don't think too hard at times (or don't think too hard about issues that don't directly affect you personally). That said, the level of media hyperbole has been a bit OTT.

That is the exact issue, the media has blown it so far out of proportion that it makes it a joke.

We live in a world where rapists, violent criminals and pedophiles can get bail and then get slap on the wrists in relation to their crimes yet sports people have to instantly be reprimanded when they sleep in or say something stupid.

The media also report more on the sports person as opposed to focusing all their attention on some dumb ass magistrate who is out of touch with reality.

It doesn't make sense to me is all.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

I am sure plenty worry about those matters, but this issue was the topic of the day. So why not discuss it.

And is it really a pathetic agenda ? Without being disrespectful, I think you have mentioned you have a daughter. Would you want her to be disrespected, while performing her role in front of a national audience (or any role) ?

Got to remember Gayle is probably a role model/idiol to younger male cricketers and they see that interview and think it's ok to be disrespectful to females.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That is the exact issue, the media has blown it so far out of proportion that it makes it a joke.

We live in a world where rapists, violent criminals and pedophiles can get bail and then get slap on the wrists in relation to their crimes yet sports people have to instantly be reprimanded when they sleep in or say something stupid.

The media also report more on the sports person as opposed to focusing all their attention on some dumb ass magistrate who is out of touch with reality.

It doesn't make sense to me is all.

Do you really think that rapists, violent criminals and pedophiles have it easier than sports stars? If so, then that is one of the most outrageous things I have ever read.

The media reports on what they believe people want to see/hear/read. Why would they operate any differently to this?

strider

Post Whore
The media are companies trying to make money.
They make money via the public clicking on their pages to look at what they are putting up there.
So they are driven by what the public really want to look at at any point in time.
Alot is driven by what goes off on social media.

So yeah there is media hype, but this started on social media before the media jumped on the bandwagon.
People lap these type of things up these days

Kornstar

Coach
I am sure plenty worry about those matters, but this issue was the topic of the day. So why not discuss it.

And is it really a pathetic agenda ? Without being disrespectful, I think you have mentioned you have a daughter. Would you want her to be disrespected, while performing her role in front of a national audience (or any role) ?

Got to remember Gayle is probably a role model/idiol to younger male cricketers and they see that interview and think it's ok to be disrespectful to females.

I feel the way I feel so if it happened to my daughter on live TV I don't imagine feeling differently to be honest. I don't feel that Mel was in any danger. If I thought she was then I would have a different opinion.

You see we make that jump all the time, Gayle does this so therefore every kid is going to act this way. My job as a parent is to teach my daughter right from wrong, not actors, musicians or sports stars.

Mel didn't like it and she acted accordingly and we all move on. If Mel had of laughed at it then we also move on. It just is what it is. Should have just moved on. He chases after her after the game and off camera then we have a problem and it should be acted upon but he didn't.

Do you really think that rapists, violent criminals and pedophiles have it easier than sports stars? If so, then that is one of the most outrageous things I have ever read.

The media reports on what they believe people want to see/hear/read. Why would they operate any differently to this?

I think rapists, violent criminals and pedophiles have it too easy in general. Rapists and pedophiles should be dead as far as I'm concerned or at the very least genitals and hands cut off and locked away till they die, but that is just me I guess. I'm sure someone will come to their defence though as usual.

We hear way too often that they get very short sentences, if you don't think that is too easy then that is your opinion, I certainly have a different one.

strider

Post Whore
I dont think anyone is suggesting she was in danger. I reckon she can handle herself and its a credit to her that she behaved professionally and tried to keep going rather than tell him to ram his c**k up his own ass.

Just for the record i agree wholeheartedly people are going overboard on this, but still believe what he did and more the way he did it was inappropriate and disrespectful.

Korny, the problem is not everyone teaches their kids the right way. CA had to do something to set a precedent otherwise every bogan would try and have a crack at her on air.