What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

If he thinks she's a good sort (and yes we all do) and you wanna have a crack then do it privately, not on national high rating tv coverage.

Yes, that's exactly the point. I think there wouldn't have been much hoo-ha if he'd even just finished the interview with a friendly '...maybe we could a have a drink some time?' (though that still wouldn't be great), but adding the 'don't blush baby' stuff was very likely to cause some angst for the young lady. It was sorta the way he said it (and grinned like a pimp) that made it more uncomfortable. I think Tony 'the Homo' Romo started his relationship with Jessica Simpson by asking her out on TV, but the context was quite different.

strider

Post Whore
Well she kind of is. She is attractive and has minimal (no) expertise on the game of cricket so she isn't giving great insight into the nuances of the game. Notice how most male sports commentators are all ugly bastards yet most female commentators (particularly on male dominated sports) are all good sorts? Why is that?

I realise she is there partly cos she looks good. I think shes stunning. You are right, the people who get the jobs are attractive, cos people like to look at nice looking people.

Most of the guys, ugly or not, have some prior attachment to the game so they get jobs cos of their standing. Females cant have that in male sport so those that hire them find something else.

But she is certainly no ditzy chick who has no idea. She never plays on her looks or plays the ditzy female to get attention, so she doesnt deserve to be treated like one by some egotistical boofhead who thinks he can do anything cos he can hit a ball hard.

I get that the media has gone a bit overboard, as usual, but he was a dick to do what he did and needs a good kick in the ass ... tho i dont think he has any clue and wont get it anyway

strider

Post Whore
I don't remember such blow ups when it was the other way around with that Nuala Hafner chick chatting up a dude at the beach during a Sunrise report. People thought it was cute and funny. I guess it is only bad when a male does it to a chick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2876994/Nuala-Hafner-chats-hunky-tattooed-beachgoer-mid-weather-report-gets-knocked-back.html

Mate its quite different. In thats shes giving the bloke a compliment - hes not there for any purpose other than to be/get fit.

The Mel/Gayle thing was him doing it to a woman trying to perform a job and him ignoring that and saying shit to her. If he had hit on some random from the crowd i don't think there would be a problem.

Noise

Coach
Mate its quite different. In thats shes giving the bloke a compliment - hes not there for any purpose other than to be/get fit.

The Mel/Gayle thing was him doing it to a woman trying to perform a job and him ignoring that and saying shit to her. If he had hit on some random from the crowd i don't think there would be a problem.

It's not different at all. Lets reverse it for a second. Imagine that Nuala Hafner from Sunrise was Fatty Vautin from the Footy Show and he started hitting on some random hot chick doing yoga at the beach telling her she has a great butt. You think there wouldn't be blow ups? You're kidding yourself.

Guys get in trouble for doing the same thing a chick would do.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
It's not different at all. Lets reverse it for a second. Imagine that Nuala Hafner from Sunrise was Fatty Vautin from the Footy Show and he started hitting on some random hot chick doing yoga at the beach telling her she has a great butt. You think there wouldn't be blow ups? You're kidding yourself.

Guys get in trouble for doing the same thing a chick would do.

Fatty does that all the time :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't remember such blow ups when it was the other way around with that Nuala Hafner chick chatting up a dude at the beach during a Sunrise report. People thought it was cute and funny. I guess it is only bad when a male does it to a chick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2876994/Nuala-Hafner-chats-hunky-tattooed-beachgoer-mid-weather-report-gets-knocked-back.html

Sharapova did the same thing, she hit on a male journo but everyone thought that was OK.

I also heard the female presenter on ABC news this morning say that it was OK for Sharapova to hit on a male journo but not OK for a male to hit on a female because of wage inequality and there are not enough females in the workplace and some such feminist rubbish.

I think what Gale did was wrong but this double standards from women is confusing to say the least.

I also find it odd that on Facebook Gayle has a hell of a lot of support, or people saying "get over it he did nothing wrong" and surprisingly there are a very high percentage of women who are saying that, obviously not the feminists.

Noise

Coach
Sharapova did the same thing, she hit on a male journo but everyone thought that was OK.

I also heard the female presenter on ABC news this morning say that it was OK for Sharapova to hit on a male journo but not OK for a male to hit on a female because of wage inequality and there are not enough females in the workplace and some such feminist rubbish.

I think what Gale did was wrong but this double standards from women is confusing to say the least.

I also find it odd that on Facebook Gayle has a hell of a lot of support, or people saying "get over it he did nothing wrong" and surprisingly there are a very high percentage of women who are saying that, obviously not the feminists.

Yep, forgot about that one; like I said there are double standards. No-one gave a shit what Sharapova said but because Gayle has a dick it is wrong. Strider, why do you think there were no such blow ups over the Sharapova incident?

strider

Post Whore
But i get what you mean.

Its cos guys like the idea of being hit on and will take it any way they can. But this is a chick trying to get somewhere in a field where only the males automatically get cred - and then just gets treated like eye candy the big name can hit on publicly

I dont know if she is greatly upset by it or if its mostly media hype, but I think it was very poor from gayle

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not saying I agree with it, its double standards but that's modern life.

strider

Post Whore
Yep, forgot about that one; like I said there are double standards. No-one gave a shit what Sharapova said but because Gayle has a dick it is wrong. Strider, why do you think there were no such blow ups over the Sharapova incident?

Because 99.9% of straight males would love sharapova to hit on them :lol:

I cant say i saw her do it but it was probably dumb of her too. And yeah i have no doubt there is a double standard. But that doesnt mean gayle isnt a total douche for doing it

Noise

Coach
Because 99.9% of straight males would love sharapova to hit on them :lol:

I cant say i saw her do it but it was probably dumb of her too. And yeah i have no doubt there is a double standard. But that doesnt mean gayle isnt a total douche for doing it

Of course everyone would love Sharapova to hit on them. And I bet a heap of chicks would love Gayle to hit on them too. That's not the point. People give it to Gayle for doing it but are happy for Sharapova to do the same thing. It's ridiculous.

Noise

Coach
So Gayle got fined a ridiculous $10,000. When Sharapova and Nuala Hafner did it they got off scott free.

strider

Post Whore
Look i get where you are coming from but i dont think all the incidents are in the same ballpark.

Sharapova's is more a simple flirt: https://youtu.be/c-FIfVfvOMo ... but yeah she prob shouldnt have done it

As barry already said, it was alot about the smarmy way gayle did it.

Dwayne Bravo did something similar with Mel a few years ago - but not face to face ... CA probably should have quietly done something about it then. Seems the windies boys have a thing for Mel

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sutherland just called anyone who supports Gayle "delusional". Thats gonna piss a lot of cricket supporters off who already dont like him.

From the comments I read its not so much that people support him, its that they dont give a f**k and think its all an over reaction.

I dont think Sutherland will have made too many friends today.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't see the big deal, noise.

It is one instance where a man appears to get a slighter rougher deal than a woman. However, the deplorable behaviour of men over the years has meant that, rightly or wrongly some people don't tolerate this sort of shit anymore.

There are still roughly 6 million other instances where men have it easier than women and get away with so much more.

I know the injustice of it all stings, but I am sure you will still sleep well tonight.

Last edited: