What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Broncos

hindy111

Post Whore
I never rated Yeo - Looks a different player this year.Put on some muscle perhaps?

RCG will play origin in a few years. Makes close to 150mtrs a game.Hits like a hammer.

Coach obviously gave taylor instructions and he didnt follow them so hooked him. Taylor is a great defender but guys like Peachey-Cartwight-Merrin-Yeo offer so much more in attack and then you have Fischer Harris who is aggressive.
Your pack has lacked mongrel. Fischer - Latu - RCG - Matagi and to a lesser degree Merrin give you that.

hindy111

Post Whore
So whats everyones backline once Moylan and Whare are fit?

1Moylan
2DWZ/Blake?
3Hiku
4Whare
5Mansour

betcats

Referee
I never rated Yeo - Looks a different player this year.Put on some muscle perhaps?

RCG will play origin in a few years. Makes close to 150mtrs a game.Hits like a hammer.

Coach obviously gave taylor instructions and he didnt follow them so hooked him. Taylor is a great defender but guys like Peachey-Cartwight-Merrin-Yeo offer so much more in attack and then you have Fischer Harris who is aggressive.
Your pack has lacked mongrel. Fischer - Latu - RCG - Matagi and to a lesser degree Merrin give you that.

Yep Yeo has beefed up a bit which has made the difference. He has always been a smart player but he didn't make much impact due to his size. He is only 21 so he will get bigger and be a pretty good player imo. He debuted round 1 2014 so he has played a bit of footy already.

Last edited:
So whats everyones backline once Moylan and Whare are fit?

1Moylan
2DWZ/Blake?
3Hiku
4Whare
5Mansour

Its tough because someone quality has to miss out until Moylan moves to 6. DWZ is a better winger than Blake I think. This is where signing Hiku might cost us.

Not that Hiku has been bad. The club must be planning on losing someone. People have said Whare but he's been our best back the last few years.

betcats

Referee
Not that Hiku has been bad. The club must be planning on losing someone. People have said Whare but he's been our best back the last few years.

His next contract will be a big one though, our young guys would be a lot cheaper so it might just come down to that.

Agree but we have options. Signing TMM now long term for example could create a heap of cap space, we are in a good place now imo

Rowdy Panther

Juniors
RCG was very good last night, and he was last week as well. I can't take any of your ranting seriously when it comes to RCG so I'm not going to bother.

I thought a front rower getting brushed off by a half for a try is unforgivable? You crucified RCG for it.
He was and is our best prop by far. 22 tackles, none missed, and 17 runs for 178m in 28 minutes. People can rant and rave all they want, but he puts in a shift and for someone so young he is fighting well above his weight.

Griffin obviously wants his props to play short spells but work extremely hard with the time that they are on the field. So far we have more than matched it with arguably the 3 best forward rotations (Raiders, Dogs and Broncos) in the NRL.

If injuries are kind to us we are in for a good year because this team has a hell of a lot of improvement in them.

Rowdy Panther

Juniors
And I agree regarding Elijah Taylor. Griffin doesn't know or maybe rate what his true strengths are. He should be playing 80 mins or close to it. He is an endurance forward and is badly being used at the moment.

Pomoz

Bench
So are you guys liking the coach this week?
Unlucky not to be 3/3 or atleast 2/3. That was a much needed win thou as a 0/3 start would of been terrible.Also the fact there was so many key players out.
Segyaroo injury was perhaps a good thing - It gave TMM a chance.

A few notes for me -

Cartwright will play origin this year. He is that good.[Needs another year for mine. Agree he is bloody good. Needs more support when he hits the line]

RCG - Best young prop in game. He has stepped his game up this year to a new level.He actually hits hard in defence.[Yep. 166m against Brisbanes pack. He will make fewer mistakes with more experience and have a bigger impact when, gulp, he fills out a bit. He is still only young]

Yeo - Playing well and i do not rate him.[He reads the game well and is getting too big to be a centre. Will be a useful lock with his speed.]

Wallace - I thought he looked great at hooker. Segyaroo is more dangerous but sometimes he stiffles the play.Wallace has nice direction and gets the forwards moving better with a quick few steps before he passes.[Who'd a thought? He offered more than Segyaro has the last 12 months. He should work on kicking from dummy half.]

Soward- There for his kicking game and direction - Does the job [Had a mare last night, but help is on its way with Moylan and TMM.]

Will Smith - Should never be considered for first grade ever again.He can not tackle and can not catch a bomb. Hiku should get job if needed and bring a Jennings boy in or yeo into centre.[Hook must have aged ten years every time the ball went in the air.]

Latimore gives his all but is a plodder. I would not hold guys like JFH or Latu back for him.[Yep. Done a good job over the last few years though. Good tradesman]

TMM - plays the rest of year in first grade with Soward to steer team.Dont put Moylan there this year.[He may need a spell or two to rest his body, but he showed plenty of ticker for a little bloke.]
On another note Parra were awesome on Friday night. Can we have half a point for softening them up for you with a battering from our forwards?

Pomoz

Bench
And I agree regarding Elijah Taylor. Griffin doesn't know or maybe rate what his true strengths are. He should be playing 80 mins or close to it. He is an endurance forward and is badly being used at the moment.

But who do you drop? Cartwright and Peachy both played 80 minutes and unlike Taylor made 100+ metres and also made line breaks and offloads. I can't see how you would drop Merrin based on his first two games. You can add to that the fact that we have Yeo who can play in his position and play 80 minutes and make more metres. I love ET, but I'm not sure how he fits in any more. And I mean that in the sense that he is on a marquee players wages and so will want to get a new contract at a similar salary level and I don't think Penrith can afford that. Who do we let go to keep him? Grevsmuhl is here next year as well. What a brilliant dilemma to have. Beats the hell out of worrying whether Newton and Ciraldo are going to drop the ball in our own 20m zone.

Last edited:

Rowdy Panther

Juniors
But who do you drop? Cartwright and Peachy both played 80 minutes and unlike Taylor made 100+ metres and also made line breaks and offloads. I can't see how you would drop Merrin based on his first two games. You can add to that the fact that we have Yeo who can play in his position and play 80 minutes and make more metres. I love ET, but I'm not sure how he fits in any more. And I mean that in the sense that he is on a marquee players wages and so will want to get a new contract at a similar salary level and I don't think Penrith can afford that. Who do we let go to keep him? Grevsmuhl is here next year as well. What a brilliant dilemma to have. Beats the hell out of worrying whether Newton and Ziraldo are going to drop the ball in our own 20m zone.

Agree that he is now surplus to requirements. But I personally would have started Merrin at prop at the start of the year. That is how I had envisaged things before Cleary got the sack. I have little doubt ET would be club captain now too if Cleary were still there as coach.

But we roll with the punches and we have someone there with a fresh pair of eyes on things. Not a bad thing, considering Griffin's history developing kids, but I don't think we're better off under Griffin than Ivan. Having said that, I don't know what has happened behind the scenes, we aren't told the full story regarding Ivan so again we roll with the punches as fans.

The club is going along magnificently. Gus has done a job nearly everyone thought was impossible before he joined the club. Most thought it was pie in the sky stuff. Great recruitment, great infrastructure development which makes us cutting edge. But there have been hiccups. Hiccups I'd like to know why they happened.

Rowdy Panther

Juniors
Anthony Griffin has got the team playing with spirit, considering the challenges put to him with injuries. So far he has done a great job. I hope it continues.

betcats

Referee
But who do you drop? Cartwright and Peachy both played 80 minutes and unlike Taylor made 100+ metres and also made line breaks and offloads. I can't see how you would drop Merrin based on his first two games. You can add to that the fact that we have Yeo who can play in his position and play 80 minutes and make more metres. I love ET, but I'm not sure how he fits in any more. And I mean that in the sense that he is on a marquee players wages and so will want to get a new contract at a similar salary level and I don't think Penrith can afford that. Who do we let go to keep him? Grevsmuhl is here next year as well. What a brilliant dilemma to have. Beats the hell out of worrying whether Newton and Ciraldo are going to drop the ball in our own 20m zone.

Yep we already have JFH and Latu fighting for spots and hopefully guys like Kikau and Leota will be in that position at some point as well. If we can get a similar level of development out of those guys that we have seen from RCG and Yeo then i think we will have a dominant pack in a season or two.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah there is a wave of talent to hit this side over the next few years that doesn't look like stopping the way our 20s have been playing. Whether Griffin can put it all together to deliver a premiership is another question but we will certainly have an embarrassment of riches to work with in putting together the puzzle.